Talk

Advanced search

Mekong river cruise

(6 Posts)
handbagsatdawn33 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:18:22

Thinking about this for perhaps March 2020.
I've just read an article about the 3 Top Gear presenters doing a trip down the Mekong on various boats, & it was apparently a sea of mud - water levels were very low.

I've faffed around on the web, & it seems that tour companies will put people up in hotels if this happens - I'm not happy with constant un/packing & long coach journeys.
~
Any advice about this please?

OP’s posts: |
nononever Wed 04-Dec-19 12:29:11

There has been a drought this year in SE Asia and according to this article the water levels from June to October are the lowest in nearly 30 years. Bearing in mind it's now into dry season and monsoon season isn't until June next year. phys.org/news/2019-10-mekong-shrivels-drought-strangle-seasia.html.

handbagsatdawn33 Thu 05-Dec-19 10:56:30

@nononever

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I had no idea about this, we are now re-thinking our plans.

OP’s posts: |
nononever Thu 05-Dec-19 11:33:47

@handbagsatdawn33 sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Hope you find somewhere great to go. We are actually heading to Vietnam in a few weeks.

citychick Fri 06-Dec-19 12:10:05

@nononever

Take something water proof and warm to Vietnam.
Winter weather there can be awful.
We went to Hue and Danang December 2017. Cold and very wet is an understatement.

Enjoy the trip!

nononever Fri 06-Dec-19 13:14:03

Thank you @citychick. Although we will be spending time in the North, most of our time will be in the south where it's dry season and warm.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in