Talk

Advanced search

Summer 2021 New Zealand + ano

(19 Posts)
hibiscus71 Mon 11-Nov-19 07:21:05

Hi all, I would welcome some advice in putting together a sensible itinerary. Having looked at prices for a week in Spain next year, I've decided to scrap that (too much!) and we'll forgo a holiday next year to visit BIL and SIL in New Zealand in 2021.

I'm a teacher and the kids are still at school/College so we can do anytime within the summer holiday.

I can't bear the idea of a 26 hour flight, plus I have family in Hong Kong, so I was thinking along these lines ...

London - Hong Kong (3 day stopover)
Hong Kong - Auckland (3 week stopover)
Auckland - Singapore (4 day stopover) OR Auckland - Bali (1 week)
Singapore OR Bali - London
OH would be with us from London - Hong Kong - Auckland and then stay in NZ for 2 weeks.

What's the best way to plan this as I don't think any of the flights are out yet. I presume best to go via Air New Zealand etc? Plus does anyone have recommendations for accommodation in HK / Singapore / Bali

Any hidden costs that I need to think of? I can start saving @ £800 a month after Christmas. I've worked really hard to get to that position.

Really excited as I've only taken the boys to Europe before - they will be 19, 16 and 11.

Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
ShanghaiDiva Mon 11-Nov-19 14:05:19

If you are breaking your journey in HK, then Cathay is also an option instead of Air NZ.
Singapore is great, but horribly expensive imo, - so a week in Bali may be better value and weather will be nice in August (not wet). I prefer Ubud to the beach resorts - great restaurants, temples etc. We were there in 2010 and booked a villa with flipkey which is part of the trip advisor site
Singapore - have stayed at the holiday inn in Orchard road a few times, close to metro, shopping, restaurants and room size is decent.
HK - the Salisbury hotel/YMCA is good, excellent location (next door to the Peninsula), very convenient for star ferry and metro, large rooms (by HK standards!) and you can watch the light show over the harbour from your room. It's good value for money in HK
www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294217-d305913-Reviews-The_Salisbury_YMCA_of_Hong_Kong-Hong_Kong.html
Have also stayed at the Novotel in Wanchai, HK Island, decent location, not very inspiring but perfectly fine.

MissDew Mon 11-Nov-19 14:07:27

You will be going to NZ in the NZ winter. Where in NZ do your NZ hosts live ?

user1471504234 Mon 11-Nov-19 14:14:26

Singapore is the best city in the world and although accommodation can be expensive, everything else can be done very cheaply. Food, transport and many major attractions are extremely reasonable!

floraloctopus Sat 16-Nov-19 17:40:45

North or South Island?

lumpy76 Sat 16-Nov-19 17:50:56

We recently did London - Auckland as we are emigrating next year. We did London - Bangkok Bangkok - Auckland with Thai airways. Super service and roughly equal length flights. Did this with 5 children 13yrs - 3yrs. We didn't have. Along layover - just 4 hrs (about 3 in reality once you've got through security and walked between gates).

buzzkills Sat 16-Nov-19 18:53:08

It's not a great time of year to go as it is the middle of their winter. Would recommend going over Xmas/NY break instead to get some sunshine. X

GreyGardens88 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:58:27

Are you going in their summer or ours? Winter in NZ is as bad as here and worse on the south island

HappyHolidays75 Sat 16-Nov-19 19:11:49

We flew Singapore Airlines and had 2 nights in Singapore on outward journey, and 3 weeks on return journey. We took the train in to Malaysia during that time

Malaysian airlines also an option.

Flight bookings open about 11 months before travel. If Hong Kong isn't a necessity, then look at offers around then. We looked online and booked that trip with trailfinders. I usually use ebookers.
Search now to see what your options would be for this summer to get an idea.

HappyHolidays75 Sat 16-Nov-19 19:12:36

Sorry just noticed HK is key.

HappyHolidays75 Sat 16-Nov-19 19:19:39

Just googling my own hols so just used ebookers for yours too.
Using the multi-city trip option...

WingingWonder Sat 16-Nov-19 19:20:25

To answer your question- cost if visas which can mount for 4 if needed in various countries (although if British passport holders some are visa waiver but still have a charge)
To echo others I’d go over Christmas instead for better weather in NZ and HK ( I regularly travel to HK and have been to NZ too)

hibiscus71 Sat 16-Nov-19 19:25:13

Very grateful to you all for your responses, I've not used trailfinders or ebookers before, so that's really helpful, as are the hotel suggestions. Thanks everyone.

hibiscus71 Sat 16-Nov-19 19:27:22

I can't go over Christmas. I need to go during the summer holidays as I'm a teacher and I want to use as much of that six week block as possible. Everyone in the UK in our family comes to us for Christmas and we haven't got long enough.

TheSandgroper Mon 18-Nov-19 11:04:33

Coming back you can fly Auckland-Perth and break it here. Then Qantas PER-LHR direct or Emirates to LHR, LGW, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stanstead, Newcastle, all via Dubai.

Qatar Air takes you to LHR, LGW, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and Edinburgh

The weather here in August will be between the UK summer and the depths of a NZ winter. But mostly pretty good. And it's wildflower season. We do the most amazing wildflowers. And perhaps your HK people can pop down to join you. Lots for the boys to do - cycle trails, surfing, windsurfing, sand dunes. www.westernaustralia.com/au/things_to_do/Pages/things_to_do.aspx#/

dontevenblink Tue 19-Nov-19 08:36:18

You'll be fine coming in the winter, we get tourists all year round. Still in motorhomes too so it's not that bad. North island doesn't get too cold, I'm in Hawkes Bay and it doesn't get cold enough to snow (much to the dc's disappointment) and is pretty mild. We got snow around June time when we lived in Christchurch, but there are lots of things to do all year round.

nzeire Tue 19-Nov-19 08:43:56

Bali!!!! I fell in love with Bali this year! Cheap, warm, gorgeous, something for everyone!

habibihabibi Wed 20-Nov-19 03:13:05

AirNZ is ceasing flights out of London soon and anyway they go via LA.
Winter holidays, I found fine in NZ. It is considerably drier than the UK and even when cold you can get bright blue skies.

Chercando Wed 20-Nov-19 23:50:57

Winter in NZ is amazing, really beautiful clear days with mild weather. South Island will be cooler but just embrace it and hit the snow.
I’d consider Emirates for flights. They can build in a free lay over in Dubai and here’s plenty to do for people of all ages and interests. Air NZ is t the best option being more ecepensive and using partner airlines on the routes you’re suggesting, probably Cathy or Virgin. When you plan to travel with them you’ll have to go via New York from London (which could be a bonus depending on what kind of layover you want) as they’re cutting the direct via LA routes. I rate the Dubai to Auckland direct flight, yes it’s 16 hours but you don’t have to mess around with transfers.

When you’re in NZ, cut your time in Auckland down if you can, it’s a good place for a week, but ultimately just a city and soooo frustrating to get around with horrendous traffic and poor transport options. The Hawkes Bay, Marlborough and Canterbury are all beautiful with great travel options and things to do in winter. Most action with be at Ruapehu and Queenstown in the July / August months.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in