Talk

Advanced search

Safari in Tanzania then diving in Zanzibar

(7 Posts)
QRCode Sat 26-Oct-19 11:37:28

Has anyone else done a trip like this? I know a few people who have done a safari and/or beach trip but we will only go to Zanzibar so DH can dive. Would welcome recommendations for either, thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Bookishandblondish Sat 26-Oct-19 12:08:47

I’m out of date but Pemba Island is worth looking at for diving. Very easy to fly in to Arusha for safari, then Arusha to Zanzibar.

Safari - nice thing to is to do two or three safari parks - we did Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti and Lake Manyara - each very different.

Enjoy.

swimster01 Sun 24-Nov-19 11:39:50

We safaried in Selous and Ruaha - Ruaha in particular is very special, quiet and remote. Haven't been to the North yet but understand it can be busy with vehicles which may impact the experience.

Zanzibar - we stayed on the Eastern side. The beaches are beautiful but not great for swimming as it is tidal.

Pilipilihoho Sun 24-Nov-19 11:52:16

You need to look at mainly at Mnemba, Nungwi or Pemba, as PP says, for diving (in terms of distance to better dive sites etc- it's a very small island, though, so nowhere is impossibly far) . In all honesty, I think you are totally missing a trick by just visiting Zanzibar for diving, but you could also look at other private island complexes, on the grounds that they usually have a fleet of boats and so trips are easily arranged too.

Arusha is pretty much the centre of the mass safari industry but there are arguably better places to go, in terms of the wider experience. Very easy to get to Zanzibar from there, though, as PP mentioned.

Don't forget elections are in October next year - unlikely to be violence, but causes some issues with normal hours of things for tourists at times.

BubblesBuddy Mon 25-Nov-19 00:09:13

I would nit go to Tanzania and not go to the Ngorongoro crater. It’s unforgettable. The Serengetti is huge but as long as you go when the wildebeests are in residence it’s a great experience.

I would also add one of the more remote parks. Lake Manyara is ultra busy because it’s so close to Arusha and the Ngorongoro crater.

Expert Africa has THE best advice on Tanzania. Look at all the options.

minipie Mon 25-Nov-19 00:14:12

Tofo Beach in Mozambique is another option for diving. As I recall the diving in Zanzibar is supposed to be so-so (but not tried it personally).

Findumdum1 Mon 25-Nov-19 00:17:46

We did the same 3 safari parks then diving in Zanzibar, was amazing, but 15 or so years ago now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in