Talk

Advanced search

Thailand with a nearly 15 year old

(14 Posts)
Subeccoo Mon 14-Oct-19 18:37:58

Hey all,
For about 5 years now I have been saying I will take my son to Thailand as he will be nearly 15 by the time we go next August, it is high time we got on with it!
Thing is, he was really enthusiastic about the idea a couple of years ago but now is being a bit meh. We have looked at some things we would like to do, a cookery class day, muy thai lesson, island hopping, elephant sanctuary - but would love some tips on what else we can do so I can start to make the trip real in his eyes.
I think he finds the idea a bit nerve wracking, he's only ever been to Europe, but a lot so he is well travelled in some respects but not outside Europe.
Would love to hear others experiences of travelling with teens.
Thanks!

PandaTurtle Mon 14-Oct-19 21:29:53

I'm going to Thailand and Malaysia/Borneo next summer with a then 14 and 13 year old. Not spending that much time in Thailand as the kids love animals and so flying onto Borneo (orangutan, proboscis monkeys, sunbear, elephants etc) and Perhentians (turtles and sharks).

Within Thailand we are just staying couple of nights in Bangkok and couple of nights by River Kwai - by there they have a zipline, bamboo rafting, canoeing, hot springs, swimming as well as WW2 sites.

With both mine the first question is always will there be WIFI. hmm

ItsReallyOnlyMe Mon 14-Oct-19 21:40:39

I took my two when they were teenagers. We had two fantastic holidays there ! We did .... River Kwai, boat trip in longboat, Erawan falls (very Instagramable - these things matter !), Elephant village (ethical one), jungle raft floating hotel for 1 night (amazing), Bangkok - tuktuk ride through city (unforgettable 😬), Grand Palace, quad biking in Ko Samui, Ko Tao island , AngThong marine park (the most beautiful place I've ever been), Thai food at rock bottom prices. They loved it - which is why we went back to explore more (still more to do !)

lilyfire Mon 14-Oct-19 21:56:30

I took my 14 yo son to Malaysia last year. He loved it. He did his open water dive qualification in Perhentian over a few days. We went to an ethical elephant sanctuary. Did some river trips and a bit of jungle hiking. He enjoyed going round the markets and bartering. Loved the food.

HugoSpritz Mon 14-Oct-19 22:01:50

Definitely diving!

Swiftier Tue 15-Oct-19 18:45:02

Snorkelling and diving!

Subeccoo Tue 15-Oct-19 19:54:43

Oh thanks guys! I have not booked the flights yet, just earmarked the money - I read that booking in January is cheapest? Anyone got an opinion on that? I am nervous that they will go up!
We are tied to the summer as I am a teacher, it wouldnt be my preferred time to visit, Easter would but I am sitting exams this academic year and next and if I wait until those are out of the way, he will be 17 and Ill have no chance of taking him!
It was our dream when he was younger, time to make it real - life is too short.
I will keep referring back to this thread, so please fill it if anyone comes across it - love to hear of your adventures!

PandaTurtle Tue 15-Oct-19 20:13:49

I already booked our flights in and out of Bangkok for August 2020, used Skyscanner and then booked via EVAAir who are direct - it was around £2000 for 4 of us including 30kgs luggage each (default) and seat reservations on both flights.

When booked for Australia couple of years back flight prices were same in October sale as in Jan sale. Don't know how booking earlier compared, I did day return flight came out.

BlueRabbitWasNaughty Fri 18-Oct-19 15:24:36

We're just starting to plan a family trip to Thailand with two teenagers over Christmas 2020. They'll be 14 and 16 by then so I'll be watching this thread with interest...

We were thinking about going to Cambodia as well but judging by previous comments there will be more than enough to do in Thailand.

ItsReallyOnlyMe Fri 18-Oct-19 17:39:40

Just to let you know Jack's Flight Club (Facebook site) put up a post on 16th September for cheap flights to Bangkok (high season). I'm not sure if they're still available - but worth following them (Our flights to San Francisco in August last year were £300 each from that site - 1 change needed - but actually worth it for the saving for the family).

Subeccoo Mon 21-Oct-19 08:04:04

Thanks I've liked their page now so will have a browse!

ExtinctionN0tT0day Tue 22-Oct-19 10:03:29

The earlier you book flights, the cheaper they will be

Recommend Chang Mai ( internal flight from Bangkok, or train) visit during Songram, which is several days of water festival & carnival parade. This occurs about Easter time. Lots of beautiful temples with colourful flags, night market. Visit to temple on the highest hill. Elephant sanctuary to feed & wash the animals.

Itsjustmee Tue 22-Oct-19 17:07:51

I used a company called escape world wide several times for holidays to Thailand
I took my son when he was 11 ( long time ago )
we did three weeks in May it did rain every day for about an hour
We did Bangkok Hau Hin and Phuket and had a fabulous time

Itsjustmee Tue 22-Oct-19 17:09:33

Summer time you will be prone to the weather being unpredictable with rain showers most days but they don’t last long and it’s also very humid and sticky

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »