Talk

Advanced search

South Africans with British Baby travelling to South Africa

(8 Posts)
RonnieAndMartyMommy Mon 14-Oct-19 11:57:58

My partner and I live in London on British passports and also have South African passports. We are travelling to South Africa on our South African passports, but our daughter is travelling on a British passport (she does not have a South African passport). We are wondering if passport control in South Africa might cause a fuss because of the different passports, and if anyone else has done something similar and they had any issues?

BubblesBuddy Mon 14-Oct-19 16:22:18

Why don't you all use British passports? I think you need the full birth certificate for your DD.

ColdRainAgain Mon 14-Oct-19 16:42:28

Not that combination, but we've had no issue travelling with different nationalities - and the kids are usually allowed through the shorter localsxqueue, even thro they have foreign passports.
Check the rules about minors into SA - it's pretty strict.

I dont think you can enter many countries on a different passport if you possess one for that country - so my understanding is OP and her partner will need to enter on the SA passport.

Enjoy your trip.

Jeleste Mon 14-Oct-19 17:13:40

My kids have 3 different passports, i travel with them frequently and just use any of them depending what country we are going to. I have travelled with them where we all had different passports. I only have one, for DS i used the one of the country we visited to get a faster q and DD hasnt received the one from my country or the one from the destination country yet, so for her I used a third one.
Its never been an issue for me, they dont even ask.

RonnieAndMartyMommy Fri 18-Oct-19 07:31:18

Thank you all for your thoughts

Peaseblossom22 Fri 18-Oct-19 07:36:43

My understanding is that SA is particularly difficult about this subject as they gave very strong anti trafficking regulations . You will need a full birth certificate at least , the original , not a copy . I would check the embassy website

stucknoue Fri 18-Oct-19 07:55:14

Carry the full birth certificate (not the free short one) my dd travels on a us passport and never had issues btw

viktoria Sat 09-Nov-19 17:38:37

Just repeating previous comments. Take the full original birth certificate.
We weren't aware of this rule and got stranded in Dubai, and lost our onward flights.
We had to arrange for somebody to go into our house, get the birth certificate, get it to Heathrow, have it put on a flight to Dubai - and only once the birth certificate was in Dubai, could we book another flight to South Africa. Very stressful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »