Talk

Advanced search

pre-paid travel card for 14 year old

(8 Posts)
TeddTess Thu 03-Oct-19 12:27:08

I need to get DS a pre paid payment card (eg mastercard) for a school trip to Malaysia.
Any top tip on the best one?
Thanks

TeddTess Thu 03-Oct-19 12:28:18

www.fairfx.com/everywhere-card_fairfx

is this one good? seems a bit cagey on the exchange rate

RoseViolet101 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:29:42

You could just get a Nationwide Flexone with a debit card. My niece has one and It’s free to use abroad.

TeddTess Thu 03-Oct-19 13:12:44

thanks will look into it. am keen to get one that can't be overdrawn/emptied if lost/stolen. School have recommended loading a prepay card

Teddybear45 Thu 03-Oct-19 13:16:36

Prepay cards often don’t come with essential fraud guarantees and when lost there is no way to get money back. As it’s Malaysia, I would suggest you contact HSBC to see if the visa debit card on their My Money Account (an account designed for kids so no overdraft and a visa debit card) works overseas. HSBC branch staff in the UK can call other HSBC branch staff abroad when there’s a problem and the bank is often the preferred option for Asian parents who send their kids to Malaysia and Singapore to studyz

RoseViolet101 Thu 03-Oct-19 14:40:55

TedTess that one can’t because it’s for under 18’s and will have all the protection from fraud etc. can’t spend what he doesn’t have in the account and there is an ap he can download on his phone where if he loses it he can freeze straight away.

Debit card would be far better than a pre loaded card.

RoseViolet101 Thu 03-Oct-19 14:41:33

That meant to say it has no overdraft facility. smile

TeddTess Sun 06-Oct-19 21:01:29

Thanks - debit card seems to be the way forward

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »