Talk

Advanced search

Good places to eat in NYC

(16 Posts)
Mummyonline Wed 02-Oct-19 08:01:16

Going with DH and DC, aged 13 and 14 for half term. Where are good places to eat which are good for teenagers? We'll definitely do Shake Shack but want other ideas, preferably avoiding Times Sq area.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 02-Oct-19 15:58:18

Ruby Tuesday
Applebee’s
Red Lobster
Serendipity 3
Harlem Shake - Get a Pat LaFrieda burger and a Blue Marble milkshake!
S’Mac
Alice’s Tea Cup - Breakfast and brunch are prime time for visits—you can order delicious omelets, eggs, scones, smoked salmon benedict and a variety of pancakes and waffles. But you’ll find delicious sandwiches (think curried chicken salad, black forest ham and gruyere, tuna melts, BLT).
Sugar Factory - go for the sprawling choice of desserts, but they have a decent savoury menu too.
Cowgirl - lots of reasonably-priced dishes, including the famous Frito Pie, which you can eat straight out of the bag! Finish off with the “#1 best dessert ever,” a sharing-sized ice cream sundae that looks like a baked potato.
The Meatball Shop
Ninja - a Japanese restaurant designed to resemble a Ninja Village with wooden bridges and castle-like halls. It’s also lantern-lit. Yes, it’s hokey, and yes it’s a splurge, but teens will love having the beejeebers scared out of them by the black-masked martial-artists.
Max Brenner - chocolate-filled pipes weave around the ceiling. Expect chocolate to show up in some unexpected places, like waffle fries dusted with chili and cocoa powder and a dessert pizza.
Kellogg’s NYC - the place to go for brunch or a fun snack.

Ellen’s Stardust Diner is in Times Sq ares but it has singing waitstaff—many of them Broadway actors—who will even take requests. There are also nightly scheduled performances.

ethelredonagoodday Wed 02-Oct-19 16:02:19

Was going to say Ellen's Stardust Diner. Is amazing.

BubblesBuddy Wed 02-Oct-19 17:10:47

It’s ultra touristy! Depends what you want.

Lots of great restaurants in Little Italy and SoHo. More neighbourly and busy with locals. More like a village. The Dutch, Raouls, Ansel Bakery, Sadelles and Pinch Chinese are interesting and local. Loads of Italian restaurants too of course. Bombay Bread Bar and Shuka are great too.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 02-Oct-19 18:54:39

I would give Ellen’s diner a miss.

Virgil’s just off Times Square does good bbq food.

DulciUke Wed 02-Oct-19 22:25:43

Ruby Tuesdays, Red Lobster and Applebees are just chains, OP. There are tons of local restaurants in NYC and practically every type of cuisine (I ate at a Cuban Chinese restaurant there once--lots of choice). The Insight guide books are good for listing neighborhood restaurants. This site: ny.eater.com/2018/12/4/18106639/best-food-restaurants-visitors-tourists-nyc Seems to have a lot of categories, including by cuisine and neighborhood. I haven't been to NYC for a number of years, so can't recommend directly.

supercee Wed 02-Oct-19 22:28:40

Joe's Pizza. Carmine Street I think.

Longdistance Wed 02-Oct-19 22:29:18

Ellen Star dust diner is crap for food. Great for entertainment, but the food was awful.
Yes to Ruby’s, but there’s loads in NY so you won’t need recommendations really.

supercee Wed 02-Oct-19 22:30:50

Murray's Cheeses (think it's in the West Village). I loved it and they do various cheeses (obvs) but also Mac n cheese, burgers etc.

WingingWonder Sat 05-Oct-19 13:17:27

Williamsburg has soooo many fab places and fab views across-
Shelter for pizza and burgers
Sweet chick for southern brunch
Cafe Colette for beautiful brunch
Hotel Delano for cocktails
The Williamsburg / Wythe/ Hoxton all have fab rooftop bars with views

Lizzieee2727 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:56:09

Wo Hop in Chinatown, worth whatever wait you have!

allfurcoatnoknickers Fri 11-Oct-19 14:54:51

@Mummyonline
Catch in the Meatpacking District for Brunch.
Vandal on the LES,
Beauty & Essex - which is hidden behind a pawn shop
Keen's Steakhouse - one of the oldest restaurants in NY
Empire Diner - nice restaurant in an old school diner building
Extra Virgin in the West Village - sit outside for people watching
Clinton Street Baking Co. for pancakes

Don't bother with Ruby Tuesdays, Red Lobster and Applebees, they're all chains.

iwannaseeyoudance Sat 19-Oct-19 22:57:14

Minetta tavern- its fabulous you feel like you are in the godfather without the risks !!!

MrsL2016 Sat 19-Oct-19 23:04:06

Del Friscos Steakhouse near Rockerfella Centre was great.

iwillalwaysloveEU Thu 24-Oct-19 18:17:00

We love this place right by Central Park is your are up that way. Have had breakfast, lunch and dinner there! Right near the south entrance of the park and when we went for dinner lots of locals eating there.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d8768662-Reviews-9_Ten_Restaurant-New_York_City_New_York.html?m=19905

BIWitch Thu 24-Oct-19 18:19:03

This site might help you

(I can't verify any of them as I haven't been!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »