Talk

Advanced search

Japan

(10 Posts)
WelshMoth Wed 25-Sep-19 08:00:04

DH is off to Japan for the World Cup lucky, lucky sod.

Lots of questions but want to know what he should be doing about mobile
Phone usage and data etc. Want to be able to WhatsApp him and he wants to send lots of pics home.

Help!

WelshMoth Wed 25-Sep-19 19:03:48

Bump

Creas35 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:10:21

You can get your phone unlocked and get a sim at the airport or you can buy data from your network EE is about £6 a day. We are also going next month so been looking into it a lot

Creas35 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:11:37

By airport I mean the airport in Japan also you should look into JR train passes

Peony99 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:25:17

There's WiFi everywhere. Most cities have an open network that you can use in streets, and all the train stations/ Tokyo metro/ department stores ect have it. I even came across WiFi in a shrine at the top of a remote mountain.

I doubt he'll need much data.

WelshMoth Wed 25-Sep-19 19:37:00

Thanks @Creas35 . Exciting! Are you following the rugby too?

Thanks @Peony99 - sounds ideal. We're not big testers but sending pics on WhatsApp would be fab.

Creas35 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:54:57

My Partner loves the rugby but we both love all things Japanese so he’s hoping to get a ticket to a game but if not we will just go to a fan zone for one day. We are going with our 7 year old and 6 month old 😬 so will also be doing Disneyland etc and a few other trips! It looks like such an amazing place!

WelshMoth Thu 26-Sep-19 18:11:59

What about making calls? Should my DH call his phone provider?

Chewbecca Thu 26-Sep-19 18:16:33

We bought a sim on arrival from a shop I think was called Yo, red lettering, they are everywhere. Then popped it in the 2nd sim slot in phone and followed the set up instructions in the pack.
I can't remember what it cost, might have been about £25 for plenty of data.
There was WiFi in hotels and stuff but we used the SIM a lot for directions when we were lost every day

Swiftier Mon 07-Oct-19 22:17:36

Just get a pocket WiFi! You pre book and pick it up at the airport. You get a small device and have WiFi all the time, charge it overnight. So you can’t use your phone for regular calls but can skype, WhatsApp, use the maps etc etc. Plus you can share one device between several people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »