Talk

Advanced search

Yosemite

(13 Posts)
mummyrocks1 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:10:55

We are going to Yosemite June 2020 and I want to get on and book. However, I am struggling to get my head around the options of lodges or hotels to stay in. I want to stay as far into the central area as we can so we don't have to drive into the park to walk everyday. I want to be able to walk out the front door and be near the walks.

However, there are dcs from 11-5 years too so would like somewhere with facilities. A pool, adventure activities and restaurants. Was looking at the lodges which have shared pools and restaurants etc.

Anyone help please?

scrawnybutscrumptious Mon 23-Sep-19 10:44:24

I'm not going to be a great help, but I've been on quick stopovers to Yosemite a couple of times and booked accommodation too late on both occasions. If you leave it late, you could end up miles out in basic but very expensive accommodation. The first time wasnt too bad - Tenaya Lodges, lovely accommodation but still not in the centre.

I'd go to Fish Camp if I were going back. Right in the centre of it all, but I don't think it's fancy, it's canvas tents. Great fun for kids. Might be a pool too? Have a great time.

mummyrocks1 Tue 24-Sep-19 20:02:59

We ended up booking evergreens. I am a little worried it's an hour outside the park and worried about the traffic as we are going over 4th July. But dsis and dbil who live out there, reckon it will be ok if we get up early.

I was panicking as everywhere was booked up and I wanted a lodge rather than camping and a separate room for the dcs. Places were either very basic, big hotel or way over our budget.

Evergreens looks lots of fun. Excited

mepan Fri 27-Sep-19 22:13:39

We went on the 4th of July this year. We stayed in Mariposa so about an hour outside the Park. We got picked up from our hotel about 7.30am and the traffic was fine then. Got really busy late afternoon. Loved Yosemite.

mummyrocks1 Fri 27-Sep-19 22:23:28

Thanks mepan that's reassuring

Gotthetshirt23 Fri 27-Sep-19 22:39:17

Yosemite West but no pool or facilities just a fabulous home. (Second visit)
Also stayed outside the park (first visit) at Yosemite View Lodge, huge rooms, hot tubs etc
I LOVE Yosemite

Alwaysannoyedaboutsomething Mon 21-Oct-19 20:00:18

We stayed at the sister property to Evergreen - Rush Creek Lodge - this summer and it was fantastic. I think they are similar so you’ll have a great time. Also it’s on the right side of Yosemite for Tuolumne meadows so you’ll be able to spend a day there - if you on the other side at tenaya lodge you’d be too far away really. Agree with just heading out early - the staff at the hotel will be able to advise you anyway.
My tip is to pack the kids’ swimming stuff when you go out walking as there are lots of opportunities for a dip and it will be very welcome at that time of year!

BubblesBuddy Mon 21-Oct-19 20:14:44

Audley Travel recommend Yosemite View Lodge, Tenaya Lodge, Majestic Yosemite Hotel, Yosemite Valley Lodge and Redwoods. I suspect these are the best places to stay!

Belindabelle Wed 23-Oct-19 17:24:52

I have stayed at Evergreen. The kids will love it. The pool is great, there is lots to do outside (little play parks ). There is a games room and we loved the nightly campfire and free smores. Handy little shop selling supplies and souvenirs. Restaurant was expensive but the food and wine was good.

The accommodation is "rustic" but perfectly clean and comfortable.

As you say it is at least an hours drive to get to Yosemite valley but if you don't want to camp or pay a fortune there is not a lot of choice.

Belindabelle Wed 23-Oct-19 17:41:34

Meant to say, when you arrive it is a fairly long drive from the main road (120). I was just getting to the point when I thought we must be on the wrong road (track) when we finally got there.

Go and visit the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. Its just a little further on the Evergreen road past the lodge. It was comparatively empty in that area and absolutely stunning.

Jessie40 Sat 26-Oct-19 20:45:12

We went this year and stayed at Tenaya Lodge.
Lovely accommodation, Not to far to get to all the beautiful sights.

tattygirl Fri 01-Nov-19 21:52:00

We stayed at The Majestic Yosemite Hotel. It was amazing but expensive. The location was stunning and there was enough to keep our kids busy.

Youngatheart00 Fri 01-Nov-19 21:54:13

Another vote for Tenaya lodge.

They also do guided tours of the park where you can jump in a mini bus and avoid having to drive in and out of the park yourself. Really enjoyed it even though I’m not much of a ‘guided tour’ person!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »