Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for Antigua

(15 Posts)
TurinBrakes Wed 18-Sep-19 13:53:49

Hi there, we're going to Antigua next month and just wondering if anyone can give us any recommendations for places to go and nice local places to eat out. Any good stalls to get local produce from, best beach, nice landmarks (like the Devils Bridge), that sort of thing.

We're staying at the St James Club and we're planning on hiring a car for two days as well as doing a trip to Stingray City.

Also, is the party at Shirley Heights on a Sunday worth going to?

TIA

Maybedefinitely Fri 20-Sep-19 08:20:13

Half moon bay is my favourite beach, there is a lovely little beach bar there that does food too.

icelollycraving Tue 24-Sep-19 08:45:08

Shirley Heights is good fun. I found once most tourists went, more locals came in although it is a touristy thing. Watch out for the rum punch, it has quite a kick (but utterly delicious!)
We chartered a catamaran for a day and it was probably one of the best days of my life. It usually has 80-90 people on I think but we did it privately for 13 of us. Snorkelling, lunch, swimming and out to a tiny uninhabited island. Amazing!!
I love Antigua so much.

Stopyourhavering64 Tue 24-Sep-19 11:15:17

We chartered a yacht (Jabberwocky) for the day ...fabulous experience
Also went on a helicopter flight and flew over to Montserrat and saw the devastation caused by the volcanic eruptions of in 1995...fascinating and very sad ( and smelly!)

icelollycraving Tue 24-Sep-19 12:29:50

Oh we were looking at helicopter tours. There is one that does part of the day by helicopter and part by car, tour, lunch etc. I am on a diet now as I read somewhere you get weighed beforehand!

Stopyourhavering64 Tue 24-Sep-19 13:23:43

Highly recommend helicopter tour....we weren't weighed - although think had to put what weight we were blush
- I was size 18 and fitted fine!

icelollycraving Tue 24-Sep-19 17:19:17

Great to know. I’m a size 22. Lost a stone but still a size 22. Some way to go!! I’m hoping Ds being little will balance out the weight blush

wink1970 Tue 01-Oct-19 22:19:47

Nelsons Dockyard is worth a visit if you like history, and if it’s still open (it seems to open and shut) then the Admiral Inn for a crab salad is a must. Ignore the taxi drivers and walk the way up to the marina for sundowners.

TurinBrakes Fri 04-Oct-19 14:18:34

Thanks for all your suggestions. Helicopter trip sounds amazing but unfortunately out of our budget.

I have a hazy memory of going to the Shirley Heights BBQ on a Sunday but not sure my memory of the experience is because it was 20 years ago or the strength of the rum punches!!! We might go along on the Thursday instead as it seems more family friendly.

I'm really looking forward to our holiday now.

WingingWonder Sat 05-Oct-19 13:14:41

The catamaran round the island
We did an eco canoe tour (golfed and booked independently)
Shirley heights
Hired a car

PestoCaffeinisto Sat 05-Oct-19 13:32:07

You have got to do this day trip around the island by speed boat t’is fab

Xtreme Antigua

Bortusesmoustache Sat 05-Oct-19 13:48:30

Are you taking kids? We've booked to go next Easter and I'm already worrying about the kids being jet lagged and grumpy the entire time...

TurinBrakes Sun 06-Oct-19 13:48:51

@Bortusesmoustache - Yes, were taking an almost 6 year old and almost 4 year old. I'm sure they'll have their moments but will love being on the beach all day and a warm one for a change!

SJane48S Mon 07-Oct-19 06:50:16

Entirely up to you obviously if you do decide to do Stingray City and apologies for being preachy but animal welfare experts recommend you don’t -https://www.travel4wildlife.com/swimming-with-stingrays/

icelollycraving Mon 28-Oct-19 16:35:08

@TurinBrakes how was your holiday? I am always keen to hear reviews!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »