Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere in the sun in mid-Nov

(26 Posts)
swingofthings Sun 15-Sep-19 13:51:02

AM planning a trip abroad next year mid-Nov and could do with recommendations.

We can only go for 10 days max so Australia/NZ probably too far. The key factor I'm looking for is getting the sun and warmth. The problem is avoiding the hurricane season.

Ideally looking for somewhere that would allow for some hiking, discovering local flora and fauna, people etc...

Was thinking of somewhere around Thailand or preferably Cambodia, but not sure this is the best time of the year to go. Moving to earlier/later is not an option.

Dubai/Abu Dhabi would do weather wise, but looking for something more adventurous ideally. Money is not an issue (well not at this stage!).

Any suggestions? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Rua13 Sun 15-Sep-19 14:15:48

How about Goa or Kerala?If you are not concerned with beaches you could do a tour of Rajasthan.
Hanoi and Ninh Binh in Vietnam would be nice in November.

Cordial11 Sun 15-Sep-19 14:19:18

We went to GOA mid november it was amazing! Really nice and warm and still on the quiter side ... join a facebook group ‘goa paradise and dreams’ for lots of recommendations. We stayed in Calangute and was perfectly in the middle of everything. Hated candolim (restraunts at night and bars fine but not to stay!) also got a taxi down south and stayed in a hut on the beach one night that was lovely.

Cordial11 Sun 15-Sep-19 14:20:39

Also as poster above... we did Vietnam at end of November and weather was not great! We got a few good days in Hanoi but very wet and cloudy Ninh Minh, central was flooded!!! I think Vietnam needs 3 weeks minimum...

swingofthings Sun 15-Sep-19 17:12:04

ok for Vietnam, this is my worry. It might be that wherever we pick, there might be a risk of bad weather, but as it is a very special birthday, would be nice to celebrate somewhere sunny and hot once in a lifetime!

Will look at Goa, thank you.

SJane48S Sun 15-Sep-19 20:47:17

Would agree Dubai and even less so Abu Dhabi aren’t particularly exciting choices - Oman is great though and a different kettle of fish. Kept a lot of its history & character. Muscat is an attractive city on the coast with good beaches, snorkelling and diving. Oman is largely mountainous and there are hiking opportunities as well as 4 wheel drive trips to fortified towns and wadis.

I’ve not been to Vietnam or Cambodia (but would love to!). I liked Goa - it’s a bit rough around the edges but it’s got a lot of history, secenery, good food and good beaches

YoungMummy94 Sun 15-Sep-19 21:07:53

I'd say Bangkok, Marrakesh or Mauritius 😊

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Sun 15-Sep-19 21:10:51

South Africa. No jet lag, and cheap when you get there. Cape Town and winelands. Lovely! Might be warm rather than boiling hot though. We went in Sept and it was t-shirt weather every day, so should be nice enough by November.

Finnished Sun 15-Sep-19 21:16:37

cape verde

SomeoneInTheLaaaaaounge Sun 15-Sep-19 21:19:32

Thailand all day long

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 15-Sep-19 21:31:58

Mauritius, we are going end of October, went in early December last time

nononever Sun 15-Sep-19 21:47:34

Dry season starts in November in South Vietnam. Cambodia should be okay too as it's also dry season. We're doing both but in January for just over 3 weeks.

nononever Sun 15-Sep-19 21:50:53

Thailand would be good in mid November. Best areas at that time of year are Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi and Koh Lanta. We had fantastic weather when we went to Krabi in November.

DobbieFreeElf Sun 15-Sep-19 21:53:16

Mexico! We were on Isla mujeres in November last year and the weather was fab!

swingofthings Mon 16-Sep-19 09:09:19

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I like the idea of Oman, but if it's the start of dry season in Cambodia that might win.

Then again, South Africa is tempting. Did Cap Verde, beautiful, but not enough to do.

LuluBellaBlue Mon 16-Sep-19 09:12:50

What about the Caribbean?

nononever Mon 16-Sep-19 09:53:15

This might give you an idea of weather in Cambodia in November. Siem Reap weather November '18

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 16-Sep-19 10:21:30

What about Malta or Sicily?

nononever Mon 16-Sep-19 11:05:19

What about Malta or Sicily?

It's not that warm at that time of year in either of them. I've been to Sicily and lovely as it is I wouldn't choose to go in November.

ovenchips Mon 16-Sep-19 11:17:22

I always have a look at Climates To Travel website (I am not connected in any way) especially if I am going anywhere out of season. Gives really good info on countries' climates and then breaks it down region by region, according to temps/ rainfall/ sunshine hours.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Lightsabre Mon 16-Sep-19 11:37:43

I would second South Africa - perfect time to go as it will be early summer there. It's whale watching season too. Wonderful scenery, amazing food and wines, cheap and no jet lag!

swingofthings Tue 17-Sep-19 07:13:41

Thank you very much. I think it will be between Cambodia and South Africa depending on price and itineraries we can do in only 10 days.

nononever Tue 17-Sep-19 08:27:55

If you decide on Cambodia, check out this thread on Tripadvisor about the official route to get an eVisa or visa on arrival. If you opt for visa on arrival, it's slightly cheaper 30USD and you don't have to supply a photo like you had to in the past. See post #488, the link takes you to the relevant page.

Cambodian Visas

gubbsywubbsy Tue 17-Sep-19 08:33:31

Canaries

ShanghaiDiva Tue 17-Sep-19 09:50:51

The best time to visit Cambodia is between October and March. I have been several times in December, Jan and Feb and had fantastic weather. Have also been in late March, but it was very hot.
Cambodia is great value, SR has lots of fabulous hotels and restaurants and Angkor is, of course, stunning. It's easy to hire a driver and car to go from PP to SR - takes about 5 hours and around $60/70. It's easy to get an evisa - ime the queues for visa on arrival were quite long.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in