Talk

Advanced search

Where in the USA should I visit?

(23 Posts)
fallingasleeprightnow Sat 14-Sep-19 11:43:49

I've been to USA a number of times including New York, Florida, California and Nevada multiple times. I've also visited Arizona and Hawaii so I'm keen to go somewhere different. DH and I were looking at going somewhere from 26th December - 2nd January (obviously I know it will be colder!). We have been to New York and Florida this year already so would prefer to avoid the east coast this time around. We enjoy walking, driving, sightseeing and mountains (to look at, not climb 🙂). Any suggestions of new states we could visit? Toying with going to Texas/Louisiana.

sleepismysuperpower1 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:49:46

Oregon is a beautiful state

L0bstersLass Sat 14-Sep-19 12:09:01

Utah - stay in Springdale which is the gateway to Zion National Park. A stunning place and spectacular views. Lots of flat trails giving access to even better views. Also, a day trip from here to Bryce Canyon National Park - you can drive through this NP stopping at the look outs and enjoy the wonderful views. Springdale is a 2.5 hour drive from Las Vegas so car hire is easy. I recommend the Cliffrose as somewhere to stay. Good food at the Spotted Dog and Bit & Spur

stucknoue Sat 14-Sep-19 12:16:37

I would say the Pacific nw but the wrong time of year. Texas, New Mexico, the gulf area etc are warm in winter unless at elevation.

wowfudge Sat 14-Sep-19 12:16:41

Oregon and Utah both well worth a visit. The Oregon coast is beautiful and Zion National Park in Utah and the whole of that area are stunning.

On one holiday we flew in and out of Vancouver, took the train to Seattle and picked up a hire car from there, drove to Portland where we wished we had spent more time, down to California via Mount Hood and Crater Lake (the outside of the lodge there was used as a location for The Shining) then up the coast back to Seattle.

BoogleMcGroogle Sat 14-Sep-19 17:20:17

We really enjoyed Shanandoah NP about an hour out of Washington. Obviously not in winter but worth bearing in mind for a spring or airtime trip. Lots of gorgeous hiking trails and mountain views.

FeckTheMagicDragon Sat 14-Sep-19 17:21:33

Yellowstone is amazing

swissmilk Sat 14-Sep-19 17:24:42

I've got Maine, Oregon and New Orleans on my USA list still to do.

L0bstersLass Sat 14-Sep-19 19:41:01

FeckTheMagicDragon is right, Yellowstone is amazing. But 90% of it will be closed at the time you're visiting.

chemenger Sun 15-Sep-19 08:59:37

I think Zion National park would be lovely in winter because is not very high up so not too cold. Others that would normally go along with Zion are at higher altitudes and might be very cold and snowy. We went to Bryce Canyon in September and had three inches of snow overnight. The north side of the Grand Canyon is below freezing at night in September too. Further north Yellowstone is on very restricted opening in winter, mostly for snowmobiles and snow shoeing I think. Moab, in Utah, has Arches and Canyonlands NPs and might be a good choice at that time of year.

BritWifeinUSA Mon 16-Sep-19 00:51:58

It really depends on what you want. This is such a diverse country - are you looking for desert, mountains, forest, city, beach? I live on the southern part of the Washington coast, not far from the Oregon state line, and it’s absolutely beautiful. But cold in the winter! My husband is from Southern California (Santa Barbara) and we are spending next Christmas there. Nice town with a good vibe.

DulciUke Mon 16-Sep-19 03:34:45

Texas and Louisiana are noticeably lacking in mountains (though Texas does have some hills). It will be hard to avoid cold weather that time of year. Distances are huge in Texas, and you might spend a lot of time on the road getting to the interesting bits. Big Bend National Park is a great park but it is quite a distance from everything.

Yiddytod Mon 16-Sep-19 04:08:59

I've done a US trip at that exact time - i know you've been before - but it was Arizona and Nevada. Was a brilliant time to visit - 20c in Phoenix, chiller up north but clear blue skies everyday. We did a loop that took in Phoenix, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Sedona & Tuscon. I adore the SW and the desert though.

MaryPopppins Mon 16-Sep-19 05:16:43

Tennessee is near the top of my list. Lots to see and do in Gatlinburg.

I've also always wanted to go to Alabama.

Wisconsin is lovely. Chicago is a nice city too.

It depends what you want to do. Maybe sit and think if you fancy beach, mountains, city, rollercoasters, wilderness etc. Then narrow it down.

zafferana Wed 18-Sep-19 11:42:24

TBH, that's not a great time to be visiting a lot of the USA. The whole of the northern half will be cold, as will anywhere at altitude and even normally warm places like southern California aren't very warm around Christmas and New Year. Do you ski? It would be a great time to head to a resort in the Rockies for some festive skiing.

Sarahlou63 Wed 18-Sep-19 12:15:53

Memphis and New Orleans - don't know what the weather would be like in December but both are well worth a visit.

ProseccoSupernova Sat 21-Sep-19 12:36:34

How about San Diego? Mild at that time of year and plenty to occupy you over a week

Egghead68 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:51:58

New Orleans, Chicago, Boston.

HundredMilesAnHour Thu 26-Sep-19 21:59:45

I'd head to Colorado. Denver is a great city. Very laid back, some amazing food and cool bars. Have a trip over to the even more laidback Boulder. Hire a car and drive into the Rockies to Vail (or one of the other ski towns) for a few days. Vail is the uber-civilised way of doing snowy mountains as the sidewalks are heated so no need for snowboots. I used to go to Denver etc on business a lot and fell in love with the area. I miss going there!

Ludways Thu 26-Sep-19 22:20:17

North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama. I love Atlanta, great place.

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Fri 04-Oct-19 23:23:19

Another one for NOLA, such an awesome city you can spend weeks and weeks in

MisterT373 Sun 06-Oct-19 23:12:56

Texas - south Texas especially. San Antonio is wonderful anytime of year.

samlovesdilys Mon 28-Oct-19 20:22:38

I went to Chicago one year just before Christmas and was gorgeous...very cold obv but every building is heated and if you have the right clothing it would be great!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »