Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to Australia with 9month any advice please

(17 Posts)
davies53 Thu 09-Aug-07 19:50:33

any suggesstions on airlines who are good with babies

AnnainNZ Fri 10-Aug-07 04:18:45

I've heard Singapore are good, I have flown with them but not with a baby. Their general service is very good and Singapore airport is fab, with an in-transit hotel you can check into for a few hours/half a day/ whatever in between flights

SittingBull Fri 10-Aug-07 05:18:39

Message withdrawn

superloopy Fri 10-Aug-07 05:24:19

I was really happy with JAL and Singapore Airlines and would recommend them both.

We flew JAL to Oz when DD was 5m old and they were great. We were given priority boarding and in queues going through immigration too. Flight staff were very helpful and had loads of gifts for DD. We were also upgraded to business class on the flight back from Tokyo to London which still puts a smile on my face 2.5 yrs later!!

My advice would be to get night flights, book a air cot and have a stopover on the way here and back!!

robinpud Fri 10-Aug-07 06:00:09

I totally agree that it is the crew on each leg that make or break the flight. We flew with Cathay at Christmas and the first leg to Hong Kong was excellent. The second leg from HK to Auckland was terrible- poor food, poor service etc

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 10-Aug-07 09:26:26

Am in Australia currently having flown here from the UK via Singapore (had a stopover).

There was a mum and infant on the leg from Singapore to Sydney and the BA crew were very good with them. The baby was crying in the immigration line (a very long line) at Sydney; one of the immigration officers pulled them out of the line to join a shorter line.

Crew from Heathrow to Singapore on BA15 were excellent with all pax, they were not quite at good on the second leg to Sydney.

Break the journey up in Singapore and do at least a one night stopover if you can. Transit hotel is best for a stay of only a couple of hours tops.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 10-Aug-07 09:30:00

Sorry, the Heathrow to Singapore flight is BA11, they were very good. On BA15 they were not quite as good but a good crew can make a long journey more bearable

Flights to the Far East do leave late in the evening generally speaking.

auschick Fri 10-Aug-07 15:13:49

I fly Singapore Airlines and they are just fantastic - especially if you are by yourself. They help you on and off the plane and take you straight through customs...no lining up. They are very attentive on the plane.

Am flying with them back to Oz again next week with my 18 month old.

My friends who use other airlines don't seem to get the same service as we always get with Singapore (and I've done the long-haul quite a few times now).

davies53 Sat 11-Aug-07 14:04:29

Hi sitting Bull, Am travelling on my own with my 9month and staying in Oz for 2 months.
Thank you ladies for the advice, singapore airlines sounds good,

slim22 Sat 11-Aug-07 14:25:59

Singapore airlines without hesitation.

On one occasion, they gave me, DH and DS a whole row (flight was not too full) and extra pillows to make him a confy bed.

One another, when I was travelling alone with DS, they made me swap my 2 seats with a couple who graciously obliged so we could have 3 seats.

They are generally very attentive. Once I woke up in the middle of the night to find DS sitting and watching a movie with his milk (warmed!) and biscuits and the hostess kneeling next to him and gently patting me to wake me up.

look no further.

Strongly suggest singapore for the stopover. Airport is fab with good play area and you can book a room in the transit hotel for $60 (singapore dollars) to rest a few hours if you need to.

phdlife Sat 11-Aug-07 14:30:49

darnit, we are flying with 8mo-old ds to Oz at Christmas (nightmare, nightmare) but we have to go with AirNZ to see his auntie in LA.

We've loved AirNZ before, anyone flown with them and a lo?

eidsvold Sun 12-Aug-07 11:13:23

Singapore, singapore, singapore - we have flown with them when dd1 was 8 months old and then again when she was 22 months old.

Let them know you will need assistance.

FLying via Singapore is the most direct route. We flew out of Heathrow about 6 o'clock - night flight to SIngapore, then we had 2 hours on the ground and then a short night flight again to Aus.

phd life - ahev flown AirNZ but as a single person. Friends who have made a number of trips to the US from Aus will only fly airNZ - say they are brilliant.

eidsvold Sun 12-Aug-07 11:14:09

phdlife - sorry friends have taken their children at various ages in their life to the US - should have added that.

sunnydelight Sun 12-Aug-07 13:32:11

Another vote for Singapore Airlines. Wouldn't fly with anyone else. My kids are older but with three of them child friendly staff and good in flight entertainment are top of the list.

Chrissee Wed 15-Aug-07 14:20:52

Hi, I've just come back from a month in Oz with 9yo and 5mo, flew Emirates and they were fab. Very helpful flight attendants, baby packs, baby food all provided. Security staff at Dubai super as well, call passengers with young babies through quickly, offer strollers for use at airport. Have also flown Singapore but not since I had kids, once Emirates always Emirates, lol.

sweetas Sat 18-Aug-07 12:40:55

Chrissee that is reassuring toknow we are flying to Perth with Emirates in 3 weeks time with a 8 month old and a 2.5 year old

Chrissee Wed 22-Aug-07 21:51:16

Sweetas, be advised that there are building works at Dubai airport, have to catch bus from plane to terminal, I found that baby carrier was v useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now