Talk

Advanced search

Japan In February for Plum Blossoms

(10 Posts)
ZaraW Tue 10-Sep-19 11:22:37

I'm in Tokyo for five nights in February. Which is better to view plum blossom Tokyo or Kyoto?

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Wed 11-Sep-19 05:43:27

Cherry blossom. Not in Feb. March and April and you can check where and when I’m web sites for tourists to Japan. Feb is too early for most areas I think.

LiveInAHidingPlace Wed 11-Sep-19 05:51:12

bubbles plum and cherry blossoms are different, plums blossom earlier.

OP, I'd recommend Kitano Tenmangu in Kyoto, but never been to Tokyo for it. The middle of February is better. Get up early because it does get very crowded everywhere.

TanteRose Wed 11-Sep-19 05:54:01

Plum blossoms are understated but definitely signal the start of spring!
It will be cold in Feb of course, so be prepared.

www.japan-guide.com/e/e2013.html

1066vegan Wed 11-Sep-19 06:00:55

We went to Kyoto and the cherry blossom was lovely. The blossom only lasts for a couple of weeks and the exact time varies from year to year depending on the weather earlier in the year. We were lucky because when we went, the Easter holidays coincided with peak blossom.

Flowering times vary slightly across the country. Wikipedia says that Okinawa can start in February so you might be lucky if you can get over to that part of Japan. It's best to check online but the Japanese weather bureau won't release sakura forecasts for 2020 until February which makes things tricky for you.

1066vegan Wed 11-Sep-19 06:04:47

Didn't read the op properly (sorry). Kyoto's lovely and I think they have a plum blossom festival in February.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 11-Sep-19 13:47:33

www.jrailpass.com/blog/best-places-plum-blossoms

Nestled in the Setagaya-Ku capital district in southwest Tokyo, Hanegi Park is home to more than six hundred plum trees. A plum blossom festival is held here each year from mid-February through early March.
This park is also accessible using the Japan train system. From JR Shinjuku Station, take the Odakyu Line to Umegaoka Station – an aptly named location, as umegaoka means “plum hill”. You can also get here from Shibuya Station with the Keio-Inokashira Line.

BubblesBuddy Wed 11-Sep-19 15:30:21

Ok. I didn’t know anyone would bother so much about plum blossom. It’s the cherry blossom that’s the famous sight. I have both trees in my garden so I know the difference!

ZaraW Wed 11-Sep-19 16:26:31

Thanks everyone will check it out. I've already seen the cherry blossom in Tokyo which was amazing by the time we got to Kyoto it was the end of the season.

I have a friend who worked in Japan and he thought the plum blossom is prettier.

ZaraW Wed 11-Sep-19 16:28:13

I might do a day trip to Kyoto as well.....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in