Talk

Advanced search

South east Asia currency help!

(8 Posts)
LostStars39 Sun 08-Sep-19 17:16:33

Just looking for some advice really, I’m due to go on holiday in a couple of months starting at Singapore then Bali then Kuala Lumpur. I’m a bit stuck with what money to take, if anyone’s been what did you find best? I’m looking into prepaid travel cards, but don’t know whether i should just cash in the 3 different currencies or USD?
Any ideas
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 08-Sep-19 19:08:24

Take some local currency for each destination. Would not bother taking US dollars.

Here is some more information that you may find useful on the local currencies:-
www.tripsavvy.com/change-and-use-money-in-singapore-1629786
www.tripsavvy.com/the-currency-in-bali-1458585
www.tripsavvy.com/kuala-lumpur-currency-1458586

EmmaCB1 Mon 09-Sep-19 20:58:40

We went to Singapore and Malaysia this summer and took cash in the relative currency and used a fee-free credit card (Halifax Clarity) where we could, eg trips, restaurants, entrance fees. You just need to remember to pay the balance in full. Worked really well. A related tip is to get a local sim if you’re going to be there for any length of time. Useful for cheap browsing but also booking taxis (Grab in Malaysia).

Chapellass Mon 09-Sep-19 21:02:41

Get a starling a/c and card - no charges for withdrawing cash overseas or paying by card, and the fx rate is good too.

Cordial11 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:05:25

Another vote for halifax clarity here! Brillant all over.

DailyMailcanfuckthefuckoff Mon 09-Sep-19 21:10:25

Re: travel cards, get a Revolut card - it's changed my life. I regularly use 3 separate currencies (it allows me to have 3 accounts which I switch money around in), and I can exchange money from one to another instantly, with no fees, and with live exchange rates, which are excellent. The app allows you to instantly freeze the card if it's been stolen. You can withdraw cash, with a small fee (charged by ATM owner). I can't recommend it enough!

GinandManic Mon 09-Sep-19 23:45:11

I've just come back from Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.
It was a v last minute trip. I got my Malaysian Ringits at Heathrow airport using my debit card. I don't recommend this get it in advance, but sometimes when I'm sent away last minute this is what I have to do.
However, when I was in KL I had to make A last minute trip to Singapore. I couldn't use my card at the airport foreign exchange at KL or Changi for cash. I had to use cash which was only Ringits in my case. Far from ideal.

Obviously once out and about in the city I used cashpoints.

I would suggest taking some currency for each country and then use a MasterCard for larger purchases when away and if need be top up your cash at a cash point.

No idea what's easily accessible in Bali mind as never been.

LostStars39 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:38:27

Thank you all for your help, I’ll have a look into a few things and let you know what I go with smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in