Talk

Advanced search

Regret booking Premium Economy- shall I cancel?

(48 Posts)
sneta Thu 05-Sep-19 15:58:48

Just booked a Premium Economy flight to Singapore with BA. It was £500 more than the normal Economy fare. BA give you 24 hours to change your mind

Now the more I am thinking about it , £500 is a hell of a lot of money. I had decided it was a treat for me, to me. But now I'm thinking what I could do with that. I am expecting about £200 back in return from the airline due to a best price policy so it's £900. But still.....

OP’s posts: |
ArsenicChip Thu 05-Sep-19 16:00:48

If you can afford it I would keep it. It is a long long flight and the extra space will make a difference.

Huntlybyelection Thu 05-Sep-19 16:04:32

I'd downgrade. £500 is a lot of money.

LesLavandes Thu 05-Sep-19 16:06:06

It's a gruelling flight. Keep it

DontFeedTheCatCake Thu 05-Sep-19 16:08:32

I wouldn't cancel. Long flight, more comfort, better food and service.

sneta Thu 05-Sep-19 16:27:45

1. The only thing keeping me from cancelling is that I tell myself it's a 30th bday treat to myself.
2. You only live once.
3. I'll get my tier points to keep my (low) status.
4. There is a slight chance I could get bumped up to Business

Then my mind is always saying £500... or £300 really.. haha

TamarindCove Thu 05-Sep-19 16:30:27

I would keep it. It makes a difference on a long haul flight.

Fairylea Thu 05-Sep-19 16:30:30

I’d keep it! But then I love treating myself to stuff like that!

Ilikewinter Thu 05-Sep-19 16:32:53

No keep it, that flight is hell on earth....okay maybe thats an exaggeration but its looonng and anything to make it a bit more comfortable is worth it in my opinion.....and Happy Birthday!

Sittingontopoftheworld Thu 05-Sep-19 16:36:36

Keep it!

misspiggy19 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:37:53

I would keep it too. A one off treat for a special occasion

sneta Thu 05-Sep-19 16:40:44

The trouble is, I am prone to telling myself this. I upgraded to business over the summer as a treat for finishing a stressful project at work wine

I'm going to wait and see if they will honour the best price policy, if they don't then I have their word I can extend the cooling off policy and cancel the booking.

tryingtobebetterallthetime Thu 05-Sep-19 16:55:26

For me, the trouble with premium economy is it is habit forming, and for a good reason. On a long flight like that, I would stick with it if you can afford it. You will arrive feeling much better.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Thu 05-Sep-19 16:57:28

On a long flight I'd keep it. If you can afford not to be all scrunched up then go for it!

Tatogratin Thu 05-Sep-19 16:58:55

Depends on how tall you are. I'm short, I also don't drink so when my husband books PE I find it a bit of a waste as I have plenty of leg room usually anyway and I hate champagne being shoved at me every 20 mins. If I was tall and drank I'd say it was worth it though

Fink Thu 05-Sep-19 17:03:44

I've never tried premium economy, but when they do those comparison things it looks like it isn't much better than economy. For a long haul flight economy can be awful, but I don't know how much pe mitigates against that. I've flown business and first class before (not when I've been paying!). First class I wouldn't bother with if I had to pay for it, but I would definitely go business for long haul if I could afford it.

TheDogsMother Thu 05-Sep-19 17:07:49

£500 is a lot of money but by the time I arrived in Bangkok cattle class I would have gladly handed over three times that. Keep your boomed seat and save the money on something else. Have a great trip

ihatethecold Thu 05-Sep-19 17:08:11

Keep it op.
I’m going to Singapore next year and I’m hoping to use my points to buy one of 3 seats. I would love to upgrade.
Why shouldn’t you fly in a bit more comfort?
Is it for a holiday?
Where are you staying?

sourdodo Thu 05-Sep-19 17:16:44

Are both legs overnight?
I'd stump up for Club on the night flight and downgrade to economy on the day flight.

Cindy55 Thu 05-Sep-19 17:32:49

Don’t cancel it as it’s a long flight and you will be thankful for the extra leg room

sneta Thu 05-Sep-19 17:35:15

Both legs are overnight flights yes, that was part of my reasoning for doing it. I recently had a red eye chartered flight in econ, which was only 4 hours, but I had 0 space as I am tall. I could hardly sleep, and felt disgusting. It was loud and my legs were digging into the chair in front so I had to have them at an awkward angle.

Yesitwasmethistime Thu 05-Sep-19 17:38:06

Keep it!!!

We flew return to Singapore in economy this year having done premium economy in the past for long haul but just couldn’t afford it this time.

We flew with Singapore airlines which is voted as one of the best airlines and it was awful, we said we’d never do economy long haul again.

Keep your premium economy seat, you could afford it when you booked so just keep it! You won’t regret it.

foulmouthflora1 Thu 05-Sep-19 17:41:41

Keep it! 12 hours plus in economy is enough to break the strongest spirit. And your body will thank you when you land.

BubblesBuddy Thu 05-Sep-19 18:12:49

It’s not the longest non stop flight but you will notice how uncomfortable it is in economy! I would keep it. Business prices are usually a big step up in price but you might get lucky with an upgrade. PE does give more space and you will be more comfortable.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Thu 05-Sep-19 18:27:12

You can afford it and you have it. Keep it. For health reasons (your height) if you want internal justification.

Or if you really want to be cruel to be kind, do economy on the way out; and you will enjoy the return even more.

But seriously. Keep. It.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in