Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me about Canada

(6 Posts)
iwannaseeyoudance Wed 04-Sep-19 19:16:21

We are planning for next summer ( all being well of course)
Would be DH me my sons and daughter all early 20,s
DH is v keen on Canada especially Van Couver but would there be enough fun to keep everyone entertained for two weeks?
We love scenery wildlife some walking food wine
Any suggestions very welcome

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Wed 04-Sep-19 19:37:41

No. There isn’t enough in Vancouver for two weeks. Several days at most.

You need to venture out into the Rockies and go to Whistler, Banff and Lake Louise. Look at other scenic parks and the Icefields Parkway. You could look at the Rocky Mountaineer train. You should also consider Vancouver Island where you can see bears and whales. Tofino and Campbell River are good choices.

I can really recommend using the Lonely Planet guide to sort out an itinerary or look at what companies like Audley Travel suggest for 2 weeks in West Canada.

We are off to Vancouver next week and then going north to The Great Bear Rainforest which is very remote! Maybe not a first visit destination though.

Toomanycats99 Wed 04-Sep-19 19:43:38

I did Toronto - Banff - rocky mountaineer - Vancouver

Toronto was meh, loved the rest of it. If I had more time / money would liked to have done some more on west coast.

cjpark Wed 04-Sep-19 20:37:35

We did 5 nights in Vancouver and then picked up a car and headed over to Vancouver island. There was plenty to do and most of it outdoors, nature based.
I actually preferred Nova Scotia. We spent 5 days in Halifax and again, hire a car and headed out to Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island. Its stunning and like heading back in time.

FiveHoursSleep Wed 04-Sep-19 20:52:54

We've just spent a few days in Toronto to see Niagara Falls. It was crowded and tacky but really worth it.
Then flew to Vancouver to have a look around and do some whale watching- we saw orcas and humpbacks. Amazing!
Then we hired a car and spent about two weeks wandering through Whistler, Clearwater, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and then spent a few nights in Calgary.
Great scenic driving, lots of mountains, lakes and waterfalls. DH and I enjoyed it , kids( x4, aged 11-17) were a bit bored by the end but hey, they had screens!
We saw lots of wildlife and met lots of nice people. I reckon it would be a fantastic trip with adult children.

xyzandabc Wed 04-Sep-19 21:04:31

Few days Vancouver then head over to Vancouver Island. Couple of days in Victoria, see if you can catch the water taxis dancing show, then up either east or west coast, Tofino, Campbell River, drive across the island stopping at the old country market in Coombs with goats on the roof. Look at towns to stop in on the way up/down the coast we saw a great sand sculpting contest in Parksville but obv have to be there at the right time. Definitely do whale watching from the island. We've had much better trips from the east coast as you've got all the smaller islands to go between and around. You might see orcas, humpbacks, dolphins, seals, sea lions, bears, eagles amongst other things. Perhaps a day trip over to Quadra or another small island. A days hiking up at Mount Washington, or hire mountain bikes and hit some trails. I love Vancouver Island

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in