Talk

Advanced search

Best NYC guide book?

(21 Posts)
StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 19:32:08

Currently trying to plan/budget for a trip to NYC. Does anyone have any recommendations for good guide books as I swear I must’ve read 500 blogs/online to do lists and my list just keeps getting longer and I’m going around in circles grin

OP’s posts: |
Sooverthemill Wed 28-Aug-19 19:33:13

Time out guides are usually reliable for cities

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 19:41:43

Lonely Planet. I took out loads from the library and it was by far the best.

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 19:45:01

Get the newest.

www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Planet-York-Travel-Guide/dp/178657067X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?s=gateway&keywords=lonely+planet+new+york&sprefix=lobeky+planet+new&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1567017745&sr=8-1

The below for taking out and about( had some good walks in)

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 19:45:32

www.amazon.co.uk/Top-New-York-City-Eyewitness/dp/0241311608/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?s=gateway&keywords=lonely+planet+new+york&sprefix=lobeky+planet+new&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1567017823&sr=8-13

Out and about

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 19:49:24

Last one had a good laminated map you could pull out. The detail in the other is really useful for planning though, all recommendations were accurate and really helpful.

StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 19:58:24

Thanks so much both of you!
Haven’t booked yet, currently deciding how many nights we’d like to stay and the best time to go. I’d love to go for the festive season but know temperatures could limit how much we get to see/do so might leave that for the next trip and I also have January exams each year.

Been planning for ages and the original plan was to go for my 21st, which is next month so think I’ve missed the boat grin

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 20:18:55

We did a week and didn’t do all we wanted to do. We all fell in love with the place, we’re going back.grin You’ll have an amazing time whenever you go. We read August stopped you doing things because of the heat, it really didn’t. We loved the summer NY vibe. Used it as an excuse to drink soda and eat ice cream whenever we wanted. Would love to do a winter trip, or an Autumn......

StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 20:28:57

We were thinking a week or so depending on flights. I just love Christmas so would really like to see all the trees/displays grin

We were thinking of maybe going September 2020 (or probably 21 at this rate blush) before university starts again but after the summer holidays.

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 20:40:11

Me too. Bet the atmosphere would be amazing. The longer you put it off though the more spending money you can save, you’ll need loads it’s $$$$$ with the exchange rate at the moment.😩

HellonHeels Wed 28-Aug-19 20:48:59

I love NY! The rough guide is usually my preferred travel guidebook because of the contexts section which i find really interesting.

If you dont already have the citymapper app id get that for directions, though the grid layout of manhattan makrs it pretty easy to find your way around.

StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 20:57:02

I’ve budgeted around £1000, will this be enough? That’s to cover everything whilst there, not hotels or flights and is just to cover me, my boyfriend is budgeting similar for himself.

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 20:59:21

God yes unless you’re planning on fine dining every day.grin

StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 20:59:28

Thanks for the extra recommendations, I might go into Waterstones and buy them all have a look at them

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 21:01:49

That said if you want 3 meals a day for a week, coffees, all the attractions and subway there won’t be hoards for souvenirs.

StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 21:02:15

@ABy1er Glad to hear it! Didn’t want to go and have to limit myself because of money, if I bring anything money bakc, that’s a bonus. I like to get a special momento on each trip so had hoped it would include that too - nothing expensive but also not just a fridge magnet.

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 21:03:11

Look on your library catalogue and just reserve them. That’s what I did then ordered my copy of the best two.

StudentHelp Wed 28-Aug-19 21:03:54

We probably won’t do 3 meals a day but would like to do as many attractions as possible, hence the very forward planning!
Been adding bits to my NYC fund since I was 14

SellFridges Wed 28-Aug-19 21:06:11

We spent £500+ on one dinner, but also £10 another night. Really depends on where you’re eating. It was our honeymoon and the big spend was planned.

I’d get whichever out of Lonely Planet or Rough Guide is more recent. I think lots of them are on Kindle Unlimited if you have that so you could try before you buy.

ABy1er Wed 28-Aug-19 21:13:32

You can get $ pizza by the slice or a Greys hot dog. A diner breakfast could cover lunch and breakfast,

You are going to love it.

ZaraW Fri 30-Aug-19 14:33:17

Not a Tourist and Fodors Guide to Brooklyn.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in