Talk

Advanced search

Info on Cordoba and Santiago

(11 Posts)
Sunndowne Sun 18-Aug-19 18:43:40

Just that. Hope to go to these two cities next August and want to know travellers knowledge.
flowers
flowers

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Mon 19-Aug-19 22:28:39

As this is in Longhaul: Do you mean Córdoba in Argentina? Santiago in Chile? If so, I’ve just been to Santiago. What do you want to know?

Sunndowne Tue 20-Aug-19 13:22:14

Just nice places to visit. What to do. Know nothing yet. Are there good trips to mountains or did I hear there is a beach nearby?
Thank you

Sunndowne Tue 20-Aug-19 13:22:42

Plan to go next year and Buenos Aires.

Sunndowne Tue 20-Aug-19 13:24:14

Obviously, also mean good places to visit in the city. Have been told food is not good in Santiago. Is this true?

babbi Tue 20-Aug-19 22:04:09

Sorry to hijack ... I’m keen to go to Argentina too ...BA and El Calafate to go to the glacier .... would anyone recommend ?

whoaherewego Tue 20-Aug-19 22:11:32

I had really good food in Santiago, but it was a few years back... Lots of great cheap wine too! I'd recommend a bus to Valparaiso for a day trip, I preferred that to Santiago itself really.

Sunndowne Sat 24-Aug-19 20:49:09

Thanks. Any more tips would be great.

BubblesBuddy Sun 25-Aug-19 17:19:58

We have just come back from Chile and the food in Santiago is excellent. There are world class restaurants and I suggest you get the Culture Trip app for suggestions. We stayed in the Lastarria area which had good access to many places of interest.

We went to Valparaiso and that’s well worth a visit. Again food is great and there are a few boutique hotels which are superb but not expensive. Most are in or near the World Heritage area. The beach resort nearby is Vina del Mar but it’s big with lots of high rise. We went to the Atacama Desert and Easter Island. Santiago isn’t the greatest city in my view but from the UK, it’s where you land!

I have been to Argentina. From the UK you will fly to BA and there is enough to see and again quite a good food scene. Hotels are fine. We stayed in the Palermo Soho area where there are plenty of cafes and restaurants.

We went to El Calafate and saw the Perito Moreno glacier which is amazing. You can see more in the National Park and combine that area with Chile if you go in our winter. There is also the Lake District and Mendoza. Both are well worth the effort. Many people also go to Salta and Córdoba.

I wouldn’t just tick off Latin American cities because you are missing out on the natural beauty which is more impressive!

If you want to know more about what we did, I can give more specific info.

Sunndowne Mon 26-Aug-19 20:04:21

Thank you. Early speculative info gathering. I may PM you nearer the time and when our route is more planned if that is okay. Natural beauty will definitely be on itinery.

babbi Mon 26-Aug-19 22:14:38

@BubblesBuddy
Fantastic info ....
really interested in the Perito Moreno ...
Did you do the trekking ?
Also how cold is it ( sounds silly but I fancy going to BA first which will be warm in Dec / Jan ..) want to travel as lights as possible but with appropriate clothing!!!
TIA

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in