Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to California alone with dd8

(6 Posts)
Tenpenny Sat 17-Aug-19 13:33:16

Anyone a single parent who has planned and had a short trip there? Its a bit of a dream at the moment. Since I'm on my own with dd I'd probably be best with cheap hotel/planned trips but would love to rent a car for a little bit of independence.

Anyone ever done this..?

OP’s posts: |
NoHummus Sun 18-Aug-19 00:12:57

California is great! I haven't been with kids so can't help much but there's a blogger I follow who is a single mum and has taken her daughter on a couple of California road trips:
www.whosthemummy.co.uk/category/travel/california-road-trip/

BubblesBuddy Sun 18-Aug-19 01:04:24

Driving in California can be hectic and you don’t get much notice when you need a turn off the freeway. We manage with two of us driving but if you are very confident, go for it. You need a car to see the best of it, except in SF.

MonsterKidz Sun 18-Aug-19 01:09:30

Where are you planning on going? It’s a fairly big state.

Driving around LA is mental.
Driving along the coast and in smaller towns, no issues.

Depends on what you want to see.

sunsalutations Sun 18-Aug-19 01:26:05

We've just returned from California. We had a superb week at Lake Tahoe. Rented a car. I find driving easy in the States if you have Sat Nav and are out of the big cities. Did kayaking, water rafting, up Squaw Valley mountain, day trip to Virginia City (the gold rush town). So much more to California than Disney ...

Tenpenny Sun 18-Aug-19 10:44:55

Oh wow, thanks for the replies.

That blog is fantastic NoHummus, am wondering how much her road trip costs...
San Francisco is a place Id love to return to and would be fun for a child of dd's age. I would personally love LA, for a very touristy Hollywood visit.
At the moment, that's as precise as I can manage blush

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in