Talk

Advanced search

Advice please! Taking toddler to Disney World for the first time

(6 Posts)
Figmentofimagination Sat 10-Aug-19 17:53:27

In a few months we are taking toddler DS (will be 2 1/2 then) for his first holiday abroad. We're spending 1 week at Disney World with my parents, Sis and BIL, and 1 week at my sister's home in Georgia.

Now I have been to Disney loads of times with my parents and Sis when we were growing up so know what to expect on that front, but I have never travelled abroad with a child before and i'm starting to worry about what I need to pack for DS.

So I was hoping for advice on how much should I pack for each day? How many spare outfits? Also, any recommendations for taking DS on a plane for the first time? And anything else you want to share that you think I would find helpful.

TYVM

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Sat 10-Aug-19 18:26:31

in terms of the plane, i would recommend taking his car seat on board with you, if you are planning to drive around when you get to the US. kids are allowed to sit in it during takeoff/landing provided it is FAA approved (will usually have a sticker somewhere on the carseat.) if you aren't going to be in the car a lot, i would get a harness like this that can attach to the plane seat. i felt more secure knowing my dc were securely fastened into the seat.
also, i would take a pushchair with you or hire one at the parks. you can get a cheaper one like this and check it in to oversize baggage, so that you can use it in the parks when your ds becomes tired of walking.
in terms of packing, i would take one outfit for every day you are going, plus 4 spares. you will be able to wash clothes at your sisters house so it is only the week in disney that you will need spares for.
have a great time!

Figmentofimagination Sat 10-Aug-19 19:02:22

Thank you Sleep. We aren't taking his car seat as my sister is buying a car seat for us to use when we are over there (she's currently pregnant so it will be her child's car seat eventually), but I will definitely look at the harness.
I managed to get a joie nitro pushchair on FB marketplace for this trip. Was in really good condition and is the right dimensions for us to take to the gate and then pick up with the rest of the luggage.
Thank you for what you would recommend for packing. I have been thinking having an outfit a day as a t-shirt, shorts and then a pair of trousers as it will be cooler in the evening and we will be going back to the hotel most days for a break in the afternoon. But I wasn't sure how many spares to pack. Went away recently for a weekend and I think he had about 6 outfits untouched as I overpacked 🙈 And then as you say, washing everything at my sister's. Don't want the hassle of washing stuff unless absolutely necessary at the hotel.

OP’s posts: |
eurochick Sat 10-Aug-19 19:55:37

I disagree with the earlier poster about car seats or harnesses on planes. I've never used one and I think they would just have got in the way tbh. I fly a lot (long and short haul) and I've never even seen one used on a plane. Most standard car seats are not FAA approved anyway. The harnesses go round the seat meaning on most planes the person behind cannot use their tray.

sleepismysuperpower1 Sat 10-Aug-19 21:27:10

@eurochick i mostly use them for my peace of mind (anxious flyer) but the person behind can definitely use their tray, it goes round high enough for it to not touch it x

Mylittlepony374 Sat 10-Aug-19 23:20:08

Take whatever painkiller you usually use for your toddler in the carry on. You never know when teething, temperature etc might happen. Most chemists do 100ml versions now.
If it's longhaul, best way I've found to ease kids out of jet lag is plenty of sunshine during day, let's their bodies know it's daytime.
Take more changes of clothes for the plane than you think you need. We went Europe to New Zealand last time and my then 2 year old used 4 changes....food/drink spillages, vomit etc.
I've also never taken car seats/harness and wouldn't. You'll be fine with plane seatbelt.
Book the bulkhead seat if you can. Gives a bit of room for kids to play in front of you.
Good Luck. It will be absolutely fine. We fly a lot with our kids (necessary because of work/family) and it's way easier than you think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in