Advanced search

I am off to Boston - tips please

(15 Posts)
matahairyy Thu 08-Aug-19 18:19:01

older teens
Already doing baseball obv and some theme park. Will do freedom trail etc

OP’s posts: |
Aquamarine1029 Thu 08-Aug-19 18:26:40

Faneuil Hall is fun for meandering around, shopping and food. The aquarium is great for all ages. Duck boat tours are fun. Copley Place and Newbury Street are lovely.

matahairyy Thu 08-Aug-19 18:29:12

oh thank you!
I would really like a restaurant tip to celebrate son's 21st en famille
and somewhere maybe with a nice sea view
Just found ( of course!) all the other threads and love hte look of Santarpio's pizza

Aquamarine1029 Thu 08-Aug-19 18:44:23

I love Neptune Oyster. Amazing seafood and a lively environment. I forgot, a tour of the Boston Beer Company, which makes Sam Adams beer, is really fun and very informative. The adults in your group 21+ will get lots of free beer tastings.

matahairyy Thu 08-Aug-19 20:59:09

Oh they both sound ACE

vasya Thu 08-Aug-19 20:59:54

Humpback whale watching tour - one of the best experiences of my life.

Headstand Thu 08-Aug-19 21:03:26

I love Boston! There are so many great restaurants and it had amazing cafe culture just wandering through the old parts of town. I went in February and it was amazing even in the snow! I loved The Friendly Toast Cafe and had the most incredible brunch there (if that is your thing). Enjoy!

Littlegoth Thu 08-Aug-19 21:06:07

There are no booz

Littlegoth Thu 08-Aug-19 21:07:58

Posted too early, there are no booze happy hours so lots of restaurants do food happy hours. The best we went to was Morton’s. Do the duck tour. Book ahead for Barking Crab

Belindabelle Sun 11-Aug-19 16:59:45

We went last year with DS 14.

Get the train/underground over to Cambridge side and wander round Harvard and MIT. Watch Dead Poets Society, Love Story and Good Will Hunting to get you in the mood.
Go to Mikes Pastry for cannoli. There is one near Harvard Yard with no queue. The big one on Hanover street was busy.
We went to Cheers Bar. Food was crap but atmosphere made up for that.
Nice shops and eateries on Charles street. Check out the Liberty Hotel which was the old Charles Street Jail.
Loved wandering around the cobbled streets looking at the Brownstone houses in Beacon Hill.
Go up the Bunker Hill monument. That is the start/end of the Freedom Trail.
Tea party ship was a hit with DS but he likes tea and history.

MorrisZapp Sun 11-Aug-19 17:04:33

Long time since I've been but I'd hugely recommend Legal Seafoods. They're a chain so there's a few to choose from. Typically American, great service, huge portions, democratic dress code ie shorts and caps etc welcome, sports on screens behind the bar. Oh and top quality food, with options for non fish lovers and veggies etc.

You won't lose weight, just go with it.

Walk round Harvard of an evening (don't even think of taking a car though) and remember that in Boston, sure (pronounced shoo-aaah) means yes, no, please, thank you and you're welcome.

Bartleys Burger Cottage.

Notageek Sun 11-Aug-19 17:10:15

Get the ‘T’ to the Cambridge side mall at Lechmere - all the big brands but not with the tourist markup. www.cambridgeside.com/

We love The Pour House for enormous breakfasts too

Persea Sun 11-Aug-19 17:17:19

We ate here for a special night out and it was great
www.deuxave.com/

We also did Harvard, Salem and a trip to Martha’s Vineyard. All were excellent.

LoopyLu2019 Sun 11-Aug-19 17:17:31

For food, most restaurants in little Italy are fantastic as are many of the steak houses for a fancier meal. We went to Smith and Wollensky when it was in the castle, it's moved location since. Definitely go to the science museum and MIT, any demos of Boston robotics tech are pretty cool. If you're all over 21 then there are some lovely cocktail bars too, perhaps for a celebratory drink after the birthday. I would do the freedom trail backwards, we did, reason being the spire monument is a lot easier to climb at the beginning than the end!! We walked about 10 miles a day minimum as ubers can be quite pricey between places and it's easy to walk. If you have a car, take a day out to cape Canaveral, we went 1 week after the season ended and it was nearly a ghost town but the beach was nice still. Also Salem is a nice day out. For shopping, do the short drive to a mall in New Hampshire, 0% sales tax so cheaper than buying in Massachusetts. Shame the exchange rate isn't better. Managed to get an iPhone6 for £200 the week the 6s came out with exchange rate, no sales tax and a nice discount for them to shift stock of the barely a year old 6!

Lushmetender Mon 19-Aug-19 21:31:06

Cheers bat, whale watching (we saw loads and different types) and ghost tours are fun!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in