Talk

Advanced search

New York then where?

(38 Posts)
ChoudeBruxelles Mon 22-Jul-19 22:07:44

Planning next year’s holiday. Ds is desperate to go to America. I’d like to go to New York. Dh just doesn’t want to do theme parks.

So thinking a few days in New York and then beach resort somewhere. But where?

OP’s posts: |
JazzyGG Mon 22-Jul-19 22:45:50

We did New York > Miami.

Leftielefterson Mon 22-Jul-19 22:53:06

Another vote for Miami. Amazing beaches, lots of amazing Art Deco art and the food is great. It is very expensive though, we spent so much money when we were there.

If you do go then brunch at the Delano is a must!

ChoudeBruxelles Mon 22-Jul-19 23:19:19

What did you do en route to Miami? That’s a long drive

Littlegoth Mon 22-Jul-19 23:20:30

Cape Cod

Littlegoth Mon 22-Jul-19 23:20:46

Or The Hamptons

user1486131602 Mon 22-Jul-19 23:26:13

Bahamas! Can get a cruise outta New York harbour and that’s something to behold sailing past the Statue of Liberty!
Miami is very hot and humid and loads of clubbers out all night!

Thethingswedoforlove Mon 22-Jul-19 23:27:51

Cape cod near Boston. Check out pilgrim village-Chatham. Amazing Cabins. By a lake. So reAsonably priced it is scary.

ChippyMinton Mon 22-Jul-19 23:50:21

I would look at Internal flights with South West or Jet Blue, or Amtrak trains, rather than driving long distances.

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 23-Jul-19 11:51:39

Thethingswedoforlove I was thinking about Boston so will have a look at that

The cruise sounds fab but I have a completely irrational fear of boats so it would be my holiday from hell.

MilkItTilITurnItIntoCheese Tue 23-Jul-19 11:55:28

Cape Cod is lovely (although it was years ago we went). We also did the New Jersey coastline which is really easy from NYC too and plenty of places to choose from.

RusholmeRuffian Tue 23-Jul-19 13:53:45

Outer Banks in North Carolina. Easy two day drive from NYC with plenty to see en route.

RusholmeRuffian Tue 23-Jul-19 13:55:15

Or if you want a shorter drive, the Jersey Shore. Cape May is nice. There are tons of nice beach towns all down the shore. Just avoid Atlantic City.

JazzyGG Tue 23-Jul-19 23:03:13

We flew New York to Miami.

BubblesBuddy Wed 24-Jul-19 19:08:36

I would add Boston and then go North up the coast. So much to see. Or Cape Cod. Train is easy from NY to Boston and then rent a car.

Klobluchar Wed 24-Jul-19 19:18:16

Cape Cod (and The Hamptons) is $$$ and fully booked up well in advance. though. It’s beautiful but there is nothing to do. I know that’s the point of it but beach holidays in the US are different from ones British people are used to. You largely have to entertain yourself. Not usually any large hotels or resorts, just self-catering and often rather basic. Restaurants are few and far between and usually booked up weeks in advance in the Summer.

Fly down to Miami is good advice. Short flight, lots to do there. If you didn’t want to go that far then how about a few days in upstate New York or over into Canada?

BubblesBuddy Wed 24-Jul-19 22:58:12

There is plenty to do on Cape Cod and north of Boston! There are Inns and Hotels. We haven’t done self catering. Yes it’s not cheap but it’s classy!

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 24-Jul-19 23:33:58

We did Boston, Portland, Cape Cod, Newport Beach, The Hamptons then New York.

We had a great time; gorgeous little towns, fantastic beaches, delicious seafood.

We stayed at a place called Chatham in Cape Cod which was just so unbelievably idyllic American Dream. Boston is very pricey but the other places were fine.

Klobluchar Thu 25-Jul-19 05:25:23

I live here and have a place at one of those areas you mentioned, so I obviously like it. I was just giving British people a heads-up that although lovely, they’re not traditionally what we expect from seaside ‘resorts’.

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 26-Jul-19 10:48:28

Klobluchar I was thinking a few days in cape cod - one thing I'd really like to do having looked at what there is to do is to go whale watching.

I'm now thinking 3/4 days in new york, 3/4 nights in cape cod and then end in Boston and fly home from there.

Klobluchar Fri 26-Jul-19 11:20:28

That sounds great. If you can, give yourselves a few days in Boston otherwise you will regret not doing that. Are you intending to rent a car to get up there?

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 26-Jul-19 20:09:54

Klobluchar yes that’s the plan although I’m a bit scared about driving out of New York

Klobluchar Fri 26-Jul-19 20:15:54

Driving in Manhattan is fine, don’t overthink it. You’ll very quickly get onto dual carriageway and motorway-like roads before you leave the city anyway.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 26-Jul-19 21:12:59

We did basically the opposite. And driving into Manhattan is quite an experience.

Klobluchar Fri 26-Jul-19 21:19:03

You wouldn’t be driving round Manhattan though, just from the car hire place directly off the island.

If you’re at all worried about driving in New York, you could get yourselves to an airport and hire a car from there, avoiding Manhattan altogether.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in