Talk

Advanced search

LA hotels

(19 Posts)
Jessie40 Mon 22-Jul-19 15:46:38

Hi everyone I have been reading messages about California and need some advice.. We are staying in LA for a few nights in The Garland which is in North LA about a mile from universal studios. Does anyone know what the area is like as I understand some areas are not the best to stay in. Rather know now and change if need be. We have never been before.
Recommendations of other areas/hotels greatly appreciated.
We will have a car. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
AlwaysCheddar Mon 22-Jul-19 16:24:22

Loews Hollywood?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 22-Jul-19 17:22:05

This whole area is on google maps. There aren't many restaurants in the general vicinity and its mainly a residential area. You're about 1 mile from Universal Studios.

BubblesBuddy Tue 23-Jul-19 19:31:22

El Royale has good reviews in that area. I prefer Santa Monica personally.

twingygirl Tue 23-Jul-19 22:34:30

The Garland is in a perfectly pleasant and safe area, but it is primarily residential. You won't walk outside and find a place to eat on the block. Very close to lots of great areas for that though. You'll just be getting back into your car. If you want to be close to Universal it's a great choice. Far better than the Loews. I live here and wouldn't walk around that area at night. Hollywood is inhabited by foreign tourists, hookers and homeless people. If you want a beautiful walkable area to go West Hollywood, or Santa Monica.

Jessie40 Wed 24-Jul-19 15:46:09

Thank you for the messages.
I will keep searching for hotels.. west hollywood appears to be very expensive.

Jessie40 Wed 24-Jul-19 15:51:35

Any advice on Burbank area?

Aragog Wed 24-Jul-19 15:53:55

We stayed at Santa Monica and just drove over to Universal Studios. Meant we had the beach, restaurants, cars and other attractions close by but it wasn't that far by car to places like Universal, Hollywood, etc.

Jessie40 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:15:05

Aragog do you mind me asking where you stayed?

ajandjjmum Wed 24-Jul-19 16:27:01

We stayed at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica - fabulous place!

MorrisZapp Wed 24-Jul-19 16:30:00

Manhattan Beach area is amazing. We stayed in nearby El Segundo, near the airport, in a bog standard chain hotel. It was great! There's a Whole Foods and a Target an easy drive away and Manhattan Beach is so good. If you go there, eat at Rock and Fish.

MorrisZapp Wed 24-Jul-19 16:31:20

Our hotel backed onto a fire station and we had a view of Californian fire fighters playing basketball in the sun! Oh happy days...

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 24-Jul-19 17:50:51

Jessie

Why Burbank as a matter of interest?. Its a nice city within the Greater Los Angeles area and its a mix of businesses and residential.

What are your own must sees whilst in LA?. Its a sprawl of around 88 separate cities.

Aragog Wed 24-Jul-19 18:01:52

It was a suites chain-type hotel. Nothing fancy and a shortish walk to the beach rather than on the front. But we wanted the extra room as had a teen with us, and it was cheaper than the beach front ones.

Aragog Wed 24-Jul-19 18:05:16

Just looked. It was the Double Tree suites at Santa Monica. You get a warm cookie each night ;)

Starbonnet123 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:22:51

Have you looked at air b&b ? We're off to texas next year and have booked a couple of really great looking places , we get the whole house or apartment so it saves 3 of us being in 1 hotel room (16 year old DD ). We have a 2 bed house booked and a 2 bed apartment booked , they all come with outdoor space and a pool .

Aragog Wed 24-Jul-19 18:28:49

Always check carefully before booking Air B&B and similar in thenUS. In some cities it is not allowed. I know LA recently,changed their rules in what is allowed and not allowed. Santa Monica has different rules to LA itself too for example. So do always check first!

twingygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 18:31:19

I just drove by the Garland today...The area has more available in terms of eating and convenience than I remember. It's only about a block and a half from Ventura Blvd. The hotel itself is quite pretty (from the outside) and the neighborhood is sweet and leafy. It's only 2 minutes from the freeway entrance (like being near a tube stop in London!). If you've got a good price, I wouldn't change it. It's super convenient and a great central location for driving.

Jessie40 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:44:53

Thank you for the advice. We still have the Garland booked so perhaps we will stay with it. Especially if the area seems ok to walk around in.
I did look at airbnb and some look amazing, but i would prefer to be in a hotel.
I was just a bit worried when you hear some areas are not great to stay in {like anywhere in the world} Just want a nice holiday so advice is good. Thank you again

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in