Talk

Advanced search

Tips for Bali and Malaysia

(14 Posts)
lovely123 Fri 19-Jul-19 07:10:47

Hi,

We are going in a couple of weeks and will be staying in Penang and Kuala Lumpur, I know there’s loads to do but hoping someone who has been there and give tips on must do things.
In Bali we will be in Ubud and Nusa Dua, again any tips greatly appreciated.

BinkyandBunty Fri 19-Jul-19 07:13:39

I'm going to KL next week - have a few things planned based on past experience plus recommendations from a local. I've been to Penang recently, too.

Who are you travelling with, and what kinds of things are you into?

babbi Fri 19-Jul-19 07:20:09

Batu Caves in KL are interesting , the monkeys 🐒 are amusing ... also I loved the food in Little India ... definitely worth a visit .

Have a great trip

ShanghaiDiva Fri 19-Jul-19 07:52:09

for KL - Batu caves, Towers (beautiful at night), gardens behind the towers are quite nice too. The Islamic arts museum has some stunning pieces. Merdeka square, central market, a mosque I cannot remember the name of and historical theatre hall are all in in same area and easy to combine.
Penang - I was there about 10 years ago and there is a massive buddhist temple which is worth a visit, Fort Cornwallis and Cheong Fatt mansion were also interesting.
I have not been to Nusa Dua, but Ubud is lovely. Monkey forest (not that keen myself, but very popular), visit nearby rice terraces for some stunning scenery, lots of lovely restaurants in the town. We also went to a waterfall on the north of the island - not worth it, but may be biased as we had torrential rain when we were there, elephant's cave is not far from Ubud and is worth a trip as is a trip to Mengwi.
I was in Bali in 2010 and traffic was horrendous - particularly coming from the airport to Ubud and it took a reasonable time to get anywhere.

lovely123 Fri 19-Jul-19 13:19:59

Fab thanks all, we are a family of 5 - kids aged 16, 12 and 9

TokyoSushi Fri 19-Jul-19 13:22:31

GitGit waterfall and Ulun Danu Beratan Temple are lovely in Bali

AgentProvocateur Fri 19-Jul-19 13:45:59

Georgetown in Penang is amazing, and it’s worthwhile going up Penang hill. The hawkers stalls serve the best food and for pennies.

BinkyandBunty Wed 24-Jul-19 02:47:17

In KL my 2 teens (boys) are most excited about going up the Petronas Towers, shopping for fake designer stuff in Chinatown, and shopping for cheap tech goods at Low Yat Plaza. And the food, of course! If we get a quiet day we might go to the water park at Sunway Lagoon.

I'm looking forward to a trip out to Kuala Selangor to do a boat trip up the river to see fireflies, and have dinner at a rural fishing village.

Batu Caves is grim. You probably should see it, but my god it's filthy and it stinks! Cover shoulders and knees (or hire a sarong), and bring your own toilet paper.

Have a great time!

SnowsInWater Mon 29-Jul-19 03:16:13

We go to Bali regularly, I would avoid the Monkey Forest tbh as I know more than one family where a child ended up having to have the rather painful course of rabies shots after being scratched or bitten.

A couple of times when we went from Ubud to Seminyak we hired a driver and did some sightseeing on the way down, there are some temples and waterfalls to see and it's a good use of time.

Traffic can be crazy in Bali - hopefully you finish up in Nusa Dua as that is pretty close to the airport. If you are going to the airport from Ubud allow lots of time.

fuzzyduck1 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:58:56

Don’t bother with the deer park in KL very under welming get a hop on hop off bus ticket and do all the things on the route.

River if life is nice at night and there are a couple of markets there.

Patronis towers is a must.

Can’t hel with Bali haven’t been yet going in October so maybe you can tell us.

areukiddingme Wed 14-Aug-19 00:06:54

Your probably back now, but I’ve found an amazing website that answered all your questions and 100 more based on your actual trip even things you may not have even thought to ask.. it’s called “trip advisor” I can not recommend it enough, it has hints, tips, questions asked by thousands of people who have been to the same place. Check it out for any other trips instead of asking here

agapanthus1979 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:12:45

@areukiddingme
No need to be rude. There are plenty of other forums for ALL types of query, thus no need for Mumsnet at all by that logic.
There's nothing wrong with asking on a forum the OP is familiar with. Personally, I appreciate the opinions of people here and have found in the past to take TripAdvisor reviews with a pinch of salt.
Hope you had a great time, OP. We're off to Bali again later this year. We stay away from Kuta and love the peace and beauty.

HeyMonkey Fri 16-Aug-19 11:36:09

@areukiddingme Who pissed on your cornflakes?

fuzzyduck1 Sun 18-Aug-19 22:31:12

Lol never really found trip advisor that great for people’s honest opinions they seem to push a lot of tours and reviews of tours not sure if the tour operators pay to advertise on there.

Have heard the traffic was mad in Bali so might end up jumping on a boat to Lombok the next island looks a lot more chilled along with hilly islands and maybe get upto Krakatoa just because I saw the film as a kid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »