Talk

Advanced search

The perfect week in NYC?

(7 Posts)
sparkleandsleep Thu 18-Jul-19 13:35:50

Travelling with my 16 year old for a week and staying near Times Square. Please tell me your dream week of plans!
She loves shopping, theatre and eating and will be keen to do a fair bit of sightseeing with some downtime before.
We've never been before and would love to make it perfect so any tips would be much appreciated 😊

chemenger Thu 18-Jul-19 17:27:52

Two things my DD liked - The Glossier shop (which was beautiful, but only appropriate if she's into their makeup) and the coffee shop attached to Ralph Lauren's shop which is called Ralphs. Very instagrammable.

We did an open top bus tour which was good for getting orientated. Buy the tickets online, they're cheaper.

Pick up half price theatre tickets at the booth in Times Square, it seemed easier to get good tickets for plays than musicals. We saw The Ferryman which was out-of-this-world amazing but I think its run is about to finish. Do not, under any circumstances see "Broadway's answer to The Mousetrap", the longest running play in New York. I don't remember what it is called but I do remember that it was the worst theatre experience I've ever had, including school plays. Awful play, awful acting, I have no idea why we stayed for te second act.

chemenger Thu 18-Jul-19 17:29:25

We also liked Chelsea Market and the High Line.

BubblesBuddy Thu 18-Jul-19 21:49:33

I don’t think the theatre is better on Broadway so do watch what you spend and be discerning about what you might like. Read reviews in advance.

I love the High Line. The views and the planting do it for me! The other delightful building is the Radio City Music Hall. Well worth a visit.

My DDs also enjoyed Central Park, 5th Avenue, (no bargains but good window shopping), Empire State/Top of the Rock, Tenement Museum, MoMa, SoHo (more intimate for shopping), Staten Island Ferry, Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge and you could do the 911 memorial and exhibition.

You are staying centrally so zone your days to avoid excessive travel.

sparkleandsleep Thu 18-Jul-19 22:13:53

Amazing, thank you!

chemenger Thu 18-Jul-19 23:02:44

My other tip, which is often disagreed with on here, is to spend as little time in Times Square as possible. It is full of people trying to part you from your cash however they can, it's sleazy, its packed and it isn't even a square. However, if you do feel the need to take a selfie with a naked woman painted as the US flag then that is the place to go, but expect to pay for it. The lights are spectacular at night. Move one or two blocks in any direction and the crowds get less, the food gets cheaper and the ambience improves. Restaurant Row, 46th St between 8th and 9th Ave is touristy but does have a good selection of restaurants.

BubblesBuddy Fri 19-Jul-19 19:48:03

I agree with you chemenger! That’s why I didn’t mention it! So much is way better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »