Talk

Advanced search

New York/Washington D.C.

(9 Posts)
pegspurplecat Wed 17-Jul-19 10:39:10

My husband is travelling to Philadelphia for work and myself and our DC (under 5) are going to go with him. We'll have a few days after his work and had planned to go to New York but I'm now wondering if we should consider Washington D.C.?

I've been to New York a couple of times, and DH isn't too bothered. What do you think is the best idea for a couple of days in the autumn with small children?

beyoncessweatband Wed 17-Jul-19 11:50:42

D.c - slower pace of life

BubblesBuddy Wed 17-Jul-19 17:39:47

Washington is great. However so is Philadelphia. There is plenty to see and do there. We loved the society Hill area. I would then do a trip to Amish country, the Skyline Drive and Gettysburg. Washington is great but it’s another city. I would do a separate trip there personally when DC are older. They won’t get much out of the museums and memorials at their age.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 18-Jul-19 04:46:56

Washington is better with small children.

Myfoolishboatisleaning Thu 18-Jul-19 04:52:25

New York. Or even better Chicago?

pegspurplecat Thu 18-Jul-19 06:08:57

I was very tempted by Chicago as I'd love to go but I was figuring it might be a bit too far for a couple of days.

We're going to be in Philly for a couple of days before DH starts work and we'll do the city sights there on those days and then I'll have the days he's working to do things in the area, so the suggestions have all been helpful smile

Myfoolishboatisleaning Thu 18-Jul-19 06:24:36

You could take an overnight train from Philly to Chicago. Oh my god! I want to do this. Can I come?

Myfoolishboatisleaning Thu 18-Jul-19 06:25:53

Chicago is so fantastic for children! Or Boston? I just don’t get D.C.

BubblesBuddy Thu 18-Jul-19 08:47:39

I just would not travel these distances with young DC. It’s just not great for them and they won’t remember what’s there anyway.

By the way, Philadelphia was great. We were there in the Spring and thought it was excellent. There is a tourist bus that links the historic and museum areas so getting around is easy. Both the main art galleries (Barnes Foundation and the Museum of Art) are superb. Not sure if very young DC will agree, but you cannot leave Philadelphia without visiting them. They are world class.

The Independence sites can get busy but you must visit them. It’s a fascinating city with an important history. If you need a calmer area, we found Society Hill to have a character all of its own. It also has some of the oldest churches in the USA and many of these are worth a visit because William Penn’s vision was religious tolerance so there are several worth a visit and the largest Quaker Meeting House which was the religion of the Penn Family. Just have a nose around. You can also go to the Fire Service Museum. DC might like that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »