Talk

Advanced search

What to do/see in Barbados?

(22 Posts)
Heratnumber7 Mon 15-Jul-19 23:07:02

We've booked a holiday in Barbados in September.
Can anyone recommend things to do and see please? And what will the weather be like?

vilamoura2003 Mon 15-Jul-19 23:17:30

I can't vouch for the weather as I went at the beginning of the year, but we hired a car and travelled around. My favourite place was Hunts Garden. It isn't overly big, but I felt so at peace there, I could have sat there for hours, and if you sit still you see wildlife, lizards, birds etc start to move in the trees and plants around 👍

BubblesBuddy Tue 16-Jul-19 14:18:58

September is hurricane season but you might just get squalls with sun after.

Visit plantation houses, eg St Nicholas Abbey or Sunbury, the Nidhe Israel Museum which looks at Jewish history in Barbados, Garrison Savannah, Cricket Legends of Barbados for cricket fans and there are numerous beaches to discover. Bathsheba Beach is wilder plus Barbados has tropical gardens and wildlife areas to visit. Have a look at the Lonely Planet Guide for further ideas.

reluctantbrit Tue 16-Jul-19 15:45:19

We hired a car for one day and did a tour ourselves, very easy to do.

St. Nicolas Abbey is a nice example of a plantation house, nothing huge though.

The Barbados Museum near the Garrison is great.

Nearby is also the George Washington house, the only house outside the US he ever lived in. It also has a lovely cafe.

The best thing we saw was the Animal Flower cave. Not sure how it will work in September though. If you go make sure you have a bathing suit and water shoes. It is amazing.

We did a snorkeling tour with a catamaran and also with a speedboat.

We booked a horse riding trip via the hotel rep.

RushianDisney Tue 16-Jul-19 15:55:43

Harrison's cave is worth seeing, and great for a rainy day

BIWI Tue 16-Jul-19 22:25:59

Temperature is pretty much always the same - around 28/29/30 degrees. But September is the end of the rainy season, so it's likely to be humid, with occasional tropical downpours. If you're unlucky these might last for some time - but usually they're over and done with after a short period of time.

Where are you staying/who are you travelling with? Tour operators usually have various excursions on offer. A jeep safari of the island is worth doing, as is a submarine trip here .

Virgin do a catamaran trip, which will also involve snorkelling and swimming with turtles.

If you're travelling independently, make your way to Hometown and book a trip with Marvin Sobers, on his glass bottomed boat - he'll take you snorkelling and swimming with the turtles as well. Look him up on Facebook.

Have fun - it's a great place!

BIWI Tue 16-Jul-19 22:27:06

Sorry - damn you autocorrect! That should say Holetown not Hometown.

BIWI Tue 16-Jul-19 22:29:08

Oh - and go to Oistins, on the South Coast, for the Friday night fish fry

DreamingofSunshine Wed 17-Jul-19 09:25:28

I second St Nicholas Abbey and the Jewish museum. We hired a car for the day and drove around the island which was fun.

lovelyupnorth Wed 17-Jul-19 14:09:49

Loved the Concorde museum at the Airport. Also enjoyed a private snorkel and turtle trip. Worth hiring a car. Also enjoyed the polo at the polo club near Holetown.

BIWI Wed 17-Jul-19 17:12:15

A couple of restaurant recommendations too - The Cliff and Tides. Neither are cheap, but the food is lovely, with great locations (especially The Cliff)

BTW - not really suitable to take children to.

Doilooklikeatourist Wed 17-Jul-19 17:17:58

St Nicholas Abbey ( has the only train on the island , and fabulous views )
Snorkelling and swimming with turtles is fabulous , and can easily be organised
Go on a Reggae Bus
The fish fry is over rated IMHO
Barbados is my favourite holiday destination 😀
( take factor 50 , and wear a T-shirt over your bathers when you’re snorkelling- we learnt the hard way 🥵)

reluctantbrit Wed 17-Jul-19 17:24:19

Oh, if you go snorkelling get a simple underwater camera. DD made stunning pictures.

Oistin, we weren’t that far away from it so did it one Friday. Not bad but I wouldn’t go again or travel around the island for it.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Wed 17-Jul-19 17:27:17

The Cliff is fab (or was 15 years ago when i last went)

If you do rent a car be aware the signposting is shocking grin

MichelleC69 Wed 17-Jul-19 17:27:27

oooh my absolute favourite place on the planet, went for honeymoon last year! TBH we didn't get out and about much as the hotel was so fabulous but the catamaran trip to swim with turtles was probably the highlight. We used a company called Calabaza and they only allow max 12 people on the boat at any one time so it's not too crowded. You are in for a treat, we fell in love and are going back in November.

Heratnumber7 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:43:52

Sorry everyone - I completely forgot I posted this!
Some fab ideas, thank you all very much for taking the time to suggest them. We're really looking forward to going.

hadthesnip2 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:51:30

I went a few years ago & enjoyed the glass bottom submarine that takes you out & submerges so you can get a look at the coral & sea life.

Also the caves (cant remember what they were called) and of course the lovely secluded coves & beaches.

skippy67 Sat 20-Jul-19 23:24:41

Harrisons caves. Got back from Barbados 2 weeks ago. Loved it!

OhEliza Sat 20-Jul-19 23:29:05

Andromeda Garden is lovely, right near Bathsheba beach which is great for a wander (though not swimming!).

I thought Harrison's Cave was overrated - I generally like caves, but you get hardly any time in there and the commentary wasn't great.

Agree with PPs about swimming with turtles and the lovely cafe at George Washington House.

JazzyGG Mon 22-Jul-19 22:44:59

Concorde.
Fab restaurants.
Rum factory.
West coast/ south coast/ Crane Beach.
Hire a car - they drive on the left and it's very civilised to drive over there.

Hurricane season is technically over then "September remember" they say but may still be wet but you're talking a massive downpour then fine again. Have fun!

KittyMcKitty Thu 25-Jul-19 15:09:33

Hunts Gardens are magnificent! We also went on a fab Catamaran cruise in afternoon/ evening with Cool Runnings.

Barbados is a lovely country.

MichelleC69 Thu 25-Jul-19 19:04:58

If you want an extra special meal (not cheap) go to Champers in Hastings. Beautiful setting and amazing food.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »