Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever had to complain re a holiday?

(19 Posts)
hellenbackagen Sun 14-Jul-19 22:15:47

Hi all - any advice re complaining about a shite holiday? Was with TUI.
Got back from Mexico a couple of weeks ago.

Resort was meant to be 5*

It wasn't. On top of that both I and partner got ill but I needed medical treatment which cost almost $1000 .
Now tui can't find the medical report for my insurance. They say they have no record yet rep did complete a report re illness on an iPad while we were there so no idea where that's gone .

Rep gave (actually have this in writing) wrong pick up times for return journey to airport and we made our flight with 20 min to spare after racing to airport in a taxi. Awful journey fraught with worry and stress that we were going to miss flight . (Hotel has issues getting a taxi so we were really really late!)

Resort was shite with very poor hygiene....Bali beds sheets weren't changed in an entire week and we saw bar staff reuse glasses for drinks and pour ice back into bags from used glasses
There were loads of people falling ill but I got so ill I needed injections just to fly home . I lost days of my holiday to illness. Couldn't leave room but they we're refitting a room near by so had drilling and hammering to contend with from 8am

the sargassium issue prevented any use of the beach (no ones fault )

I'd paid 5k for 2 of us for 14 nights - most expensive mistake ever

I've outlined my complaint to TUI but aren't holding much hope of any resolution - anyone ever had to complain? I've never had to before and not sure in protocol. I've done as directed by tui and out complaint in writing to their after travel email address but not holding out much hope of any resolution really.

Any advice most welcome!
Thanks

BubblesBuddy Mon 15-Jul-19 15:09:49

Do you have medical bills? Invoices and receipts? Holiday companies are now sceptical about illness but I would have thought bills and receipts were good enough for insurance purposes. However I’ve never claimed for this.

Regarding the other issues. Press for compensation. There appear to be hygiene issues and the noise wasn’t acceptable either. Let alone the transport problem. Were there no other guests on your flight? Was there no transport to the airport at all and did you not know your flight time?

Also even if Tui says its 5* that’s on their rating. It’s not an official rating and you wouldn’t get proper 5* for what you paid I’m afraid. Lots of places change bedding if you ask now. They keep washing to a minimum to save water and energy. So do complain and don’t accept Tui vouchers. Also research a bit more to ensure a hotel is the standard you expect. Previous guests will be honest so check it out before you buy.

hellenbackagen Mon 15-Jul-19 17:22:26

Thing is trip advisor ratings were good (well seems either 5** raving or 3 star it's shite now I've really read ....but most reviews raved over the place which I'm puzzled by tbh!) and it came recommended by a
Bloody colleague (who clearly needs to get out more! I've had 3* better ! ) oh there were loads of issues - I didn't even mention the cocktails....rough and ready never measured and when I asked for
A champagne cocktail I got Prosecco (fine !) and sugar syrup 🤢. Ah it was
Just shite . Complaint is in anyway so I'll await a reply! Thanks

EskewedBeef Mon 15-Jul-19 17:29:53

When you complain, don't get bogged down with unimportant extras. Champagne cocktails not to your liking isn't worth adding on to a complaint of very poor hygiene practices; it detracts from the food poisoning (?) and other genuine complaints such as reusing ice and drinking glasses.

Did you film the staff doing these things, or complain at the time? Bedding not changed for a fortnight - did you tell them to sort this out while you were still there?

TheQueef Mon 15-Jul-19 17:35:32

I've complained and been to court. (Once over luggage, won and twice over a nightmare holiday there were two bookings, also won)
Best advice is know your rights and be explicit.
Holidays are one of the few things that have an expectation of enjoyment so you can be compensated for that. Also your time wasted etc.
Holiday Which? Is the best guide.
Good luck and don't be bullied into settling.

MargotsFlounceyBlouse Mon 15-Jul-19 17:37:23

I've complained about missing transfers direct to smaller operators, and been refunded for the taxis we had to take, also claimed for flight delays via moneyexperts Resolver service and got 600 euros of compo for delays. Have a look at Resolver, (Google MSE Resolver) it helps to cite the right legislation etc to get results. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 15-Jul-19 17:38:39

Surely you must have some record of your medical treatment, even if the rep has no record of it?

GoldenMalicious Mon 15-Jul-19 17:56:50

My main advice is to complain to the highest authority you can find within TUI. If you can find the CEOs email, all the better. We had cause to complain to a different travel company last year for similar issues, and we were given a 100% refund. There were some other factors in our favour, most notably that we had sought direct reassurance from the travel company a week before we traveled on the basis of increasingly worrying online reviews, and been told explicitly that there was no reason to be concerned (there was every reason! The hotel was no longer available for new bookings which they claimed was because it was so popular - really not true!). I suspect we would have had a far less prompt or generous response from the regular complaint handling route.

hellenbackagen Mon 15-Jul-19 18:48:45

I've got all my medical bills but I've sent them to my insurance but have photo copies obviously.

hellenbackagen Mon 15-Jul-19 18:49:55

And mini didn't sweat the small stuff . Cocktails I didn't mention!

The being confined to room for 4 days plus injections in arse and $1000 bill I did

hellenbackagen Mon 15-Jul-19 19:03:57

There were lots for pick up for flight obviously but the rep wrote "12.35 reception" so we got to reception for 12.15 to find we and one other couple were only ones waiting-' clearly because coach had left over an hour previously. We relied on what the rep wrote which turned out to completely incorrect.

blackistheneworange Mon 15-Jul-19 19:06:37

Can I ask the brand of hotel please? We're going soon and now I'm worried

hellenbackagen Mon 15-Jul-19 19:16:19

Eldorado Seaside Suits and spa .

Looks immaculate. But it's no where near 5* . Not by a very long shot.

hellenbackagen Mon 15-Jul-19 20:25:22

Booked through tui as a sensimar couples resort.

Rivkka Mon 15-Jul-19 22:56:14

Sensimar are usually okay. Good luck with your complaint.

They'll probs offer you a low value voucher without admitting liability, just as a gesture of goodwill. Reject that, obviously.

BubblesBuddy Tue 16-Jul-19 14:24:02

It all depends who awards the stars and how high the bar is set. Some countries - it’s not very high. I wouldn’t be expecting a genuine 5* experience at the price you paid and Tui probably don’t have genuine 5* hotels on their books! It’s just not their market. The ratings just won’t compare with the UK I’m afraid.

BubblesBuddy Tue 16-Jul-19 14:26:37

Actually I’ve been a bit mean - Conde Nast like it but how long ago was that? Standards have slipped it would appear!

hellenbackagen Tue 16-Jul-19 17:59:18

I paid 5k for a two week holiday- most I've ever paid, had way better 4* in Thailand for 3k not want all inclusive. That said I didn't get ill in Thailand even eating street food !

hellenbackagen Tue 16-Jul-19 18:01:17

Jesus why does this duckin auto correct change every fucking word!

I meant I paid 3k for 2 weeks 4* in Thailand which was far superior.

Back to travel bag then! Bye tui!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »