Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done a West USA road trip?

(41 Posts)
MotherOfDragons90 Wed 10-Jul-19 18:53:29

Hello longhaulers smile

My DH has a milestone birthday next year and we are planning a once in a life timetime type trip. Thinking a west USA road trip at the moment but I have no clue where to start.

We know we would like to do Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Vegas and the Grand Canyon but I’d really love some ideas for experiences/places that other people have been and loved. Perhaps a national park or lake or two?

I’m pushing for a month long trip but DH doesn’t think he could get longer than 3 weeks off. Re timing, from my initial research I’m thinking either May/June or September (hoping The former so it’s sooner!)

Has anybody done this and could perhaps share some wisdom or tips? Looking for anything helpful from best month to go, to places to visit, to whether to fly/drive or get an RV. Treat me as a total novice to this road trip lark grin

Thanks in advance!

Jessie40 Wed 24-Jul-19 15:50:06

We are going this summer;
San Fransisco
Yosemite
Monterey
Santa Barbara
LA
Vegas
Just changing our hotel in LA ...Really stuck where to stay.

tanstaafl Wed 24-Jul-19 13:24:26

Hi OP, just a word or two on Grand Canyon (GC)
There’s 3 locations that make up GC, north , south and west.
North is fairly remote and i don’t think it fits with your itinerary, west is closest to LV, it’s on Indian reservation land and is where the glass walkway is located. South is a couple of hours further on from west but is the place with its own ‘village’ with hotels (£££). It’s where the canyon is widest , there are tarmaced cycle route along the rim , buses to take you to other viewing spots and paths down into the canyon. There’s a town called Tusayen just 5 minutes south with chain hotels, it’s where we stayed.

moonbells Tue 16-Jul-19 20:22:10

Yup, I did this years ago on a shoestring after a conference when still a student. Stayed in youth and indie hostels if we could the whole time. SanFran was our startpoint, picked up the car and drove straight out over the Golden Gate to Muir Woods, stayed in a coast hostel that night. Then wine country, and down to Sacramento. Out to Yosemite and a night in a tent cabin in Yosemite valley. Following day out via Mono lake and down the back of the Sierra, and then on to Vegas. I hated it. But good starting point for Grand Canyon, Lake Powell and Bryce Canyon and back to Vegas after we decided not to go to Monument valley. Then a loong day drive to San Diego and day trip to Mexico, then up hwy 1 to LA, and gradually back to SF.

Best holiday ever. Worth it just for Yosemite and Bryce.

Would love to do it again but it was half a life ago. Go if you can.

nixso29 Tue 16-Jul-19 20:21:53

If you are on facebook there is a group called 'California dreamers and west coast wanderers' really useful group!

whiteroseredrose Tue 16-Jul-19 20:09:17

Definitely May / June as the waterfalls in Yosemite are great then.

We did a 3 week trip but that included a couple of nights in NY on the way there.

We flew to San Francisco for 3 nights then rented a car and drove first to Yosemite then down highway 1 to Monterrey, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica then over to Grand Canyon via Las Vegas.

The highlights were Yosemite where we stayed in a wooden cabin and saw a bear and Grand Canyon where we stayed right at the rim. We did a fantastic trip which was flying over the Grand Canyon in a small plane, visiting Antelope Canyon then sailing along the Colorado River through the canyons.

Not so keen on Vegas. One night was enough.

KungFuFriday Tue 16-Jul-19 18:59:54

Have a look at an app called 'Roadtrippers ' - it's excellent for planning trips like this and will show you driving times between places, as well as points of interest along the way.

MsSquiz Tue 16-Jul-19 18:54:35

We did a smaller road trip for my 30th:

Flew to San Francisco (3 night)
Drove to Yosemite (2 nights)
Drove through Death Valley (1 night)
Ended in Las Vegas (4 nights)

San Francisco was lovely, we were there for 4th July and spent it on a boat in the harbour watching the fireworks

Yosemite was amazing and I would easily recommend it for a longer stay

Death Valley was nice to drive through it and say you've been there, but I wouldn't bother stopping over. It's much of a muchness after an hour of driving!

Las Vegas is definitely a marmite place - we love it. It was there I turned 30 and DH arranged a helicopter trip over the Grand Canyon which was a brilliant way to see it. We also had dinner at a gorgeous restaurant and saw a Cirque du Soleil show.

Workingmum34 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:45:40

Anyone mind telling me how much this would cost? Thinking of doing something similar.

ContinuityError Mon 15-Jul-19 08:26:39

We did a similar 3.5 week trip (by car, staying in a mix of hotels):

San Diego for a couple of days to get over flights - zoo, La Jolla, USS Midway; Stone Brewing at Escondido does tours and good food.

Couple of nights LA - Venice Beach, Huntington Beach, Griffith Observatory, drive through Hollywood, Santa Monica Pier (plus boys wanted to do Universal Studios). DH and I had done the Getty on a previous trip.

Drive up the coast and along Big Sur - Morro Bay was a nice stop off; elephant seals, glass beach, Carmel, Monterey. Santa Cruz has an old fashioned boardwalk.

San Francisco (we stayed in Oakland and got the train in) for wandering around and Alcatraz.

Then north to Lassen Volcanic NP (my favourite park), down to Reno and Mammoth Lakes and a side trip to Bodie ghost town. We didn’t stop too long in Yosemite as it was July and heaving - Kings Canyon and Sequoia NPs are much quieter and also impressive (on a smaller scale).

Across Death Valley, a couple of nights in Vegas (so we could fit in a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon), down to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree (and a Stop off on the San Andreas fault) and back to San Diego.

We tend to book through Hotels.com to collect free nights. Lots of driving but we got to see loads of different things.

BubblesBuddy Sun 14-Jul-19 15:55:20

I thought the Grand Canyon was amazing. So much bigger than I was expecting and in late October far less crowded but with blue skies and it was plenty warm enough.

I really cannot understand why pps don’t like LA. No, it’s not a small wandering around sort of place but it has some outstanding buildings and scenic drives. You have to look outside and beyond the hype and silly stars in the streets. If you do a bit of research and are the type of person that appreciates fine buildings, neighbourhoods, cuisine and museums it really can deliver. But no, it’s not a mooching place.

caranx Sun 14-Jul-19 11:53:40

@bevelino haha you're right I don't like heights so I think I screamed my way around some of the bends grin - at least the roads are wider than the UK

ShowMeYourHoney Sun 14-Jul-19 11:18:52

We've also stayed at Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obispo, an absolute must! Both the town and the hotel, gorgeous. I'd also recommend Santa Barbara. Beautiful place, amazing fish restaurants!

bevelino Sun 14-Jul-19 11:13:16

@caranx my family took a similar route as yours. How did you find driving through the hills and curves after leaving Monterrey? I found driving through miles and miles of sharp curves and and steep hills unsettling.

Itsallaswizz Sun 14-Jul-19 10:59:47

We looked at an rv but there were a lot of extras; slower driving times, more fuel use, bedding, towels, cutlery&crockery etc. It worked out cheaper for us to get a better car and stay in motels, these were very nice and much nicer than the UK equivalent! Hotels largely a waste of money over there imo, again lots of extras. Also rv parking can be limited - i seem to remember lots of roads in Santa Barbara not allowing rv parking.

Eaudear Sun 14-Jul-19 10:47:49

Grand Canyon - bit of a let down after Yosemite to be honest!

Yes I wasn't as impressed by the Grand Canyon either. I think it's because it's so hyped up, whereas I didn't know much about Yosemite before we went there.

Obviously its still amazing and definitely worth a visit though!

Eaudear Sun 14-Jul-19 10:46:19

I have done similar to all the above a few years ago. They are all nice places but you absolutely HAVE to go to Yosemite. It is literally the most stunning place I have ever been - the view from Glacier Point is just unbelievable... I cried!!! (I didn't scream though, that's only for the Michelangelo wink)

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee Sun 14-Jul-19 10:38:06

We did a similar trip and loved it! Flew into San Fran, then Yosemite, death valley, mono lake, horseshoe bend, around the grand canyon, the big meteor crater, the Hoover dam then vegas, whole trip was almost 3 weeks.

Highlights were death valley - so many cool things to see, rhyolite - a ghost town just outside death valley, horseshoe bend - Google it, it honestly looks that beautiful in person, mono lske is just so different to anything we've ever seen, the meteor crater is pretty cool, and all the different terrain, from the trees and snow in Yosemite, to the dry acrid death valley, and the grand canyon is just epic!

DozeyTwonk Sun 14-Jul-19 09:05:25

I am thinking of this for a couple of years time when dd3 has finished school. What kind of cost for a 3-4 week trip for family of four? Probably Car/motel. Need to start planning!

caranx Sun 14-Jul-19 08:46:46

Either of those times of year is good - quieter and not too hot/cold.

I've done it in several shorter trips - but in 3 weeks you could definitely do a lot - depends on how tiring you find lots of driving/sightseeing. I'd go car rather than RV there's loads of motels/hotels.

Highlights for me (in no particular order)
San Francisco
Coast road SF to Big Sur (incl Monterey for wildlife)
Yosemite
San Diego/La Jolla
Zion/Bryce Canyon
Grand Canyon
Napa/Sonoma (only if you like wine)

Hate LA.
Hate Vegas.

Ivegotthree Sun 14-Jul-19 06:50:33

We did it. Don't bother with an RV.

Flew to Phoenix
Grand Canyon
Monument Valley
Las Vegas
Santa Monica
Sedona
Zion Park
San Luis Obispo
Carmel
San Francisco
Sonoma

It was brilliant and we did it all in two weeks.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 14-Jul-19 06:42:38

I loved our west USA road trip. We flew into San Francisco - loved Alcatraz, my personal highlight.
Drove down the big sur and coast road stopping at San Luis Obispo. Spotted whales on the way and stopped to watch, they were amazing. Stayed st the apple farm and highly recommend in San Louis obispo.
We weren’t fussed about Hearst castle either - we have plentiful stunning stately homes/grand houses over here. It was so crowded.
Drove to LA, spent 5 nights and that was too long. Saw what we wanted to see and weren’t great fans of LA itself. Stayed in Santa Monica.
Drove to Vegas, we spent 3 nights there and loved it, but that was enough. We didn’t do the Grand Canyon, huge mistake.
Flew to New York! (Wouldn’t have done this but huge pressure from friends who live there)

Have done Yosemite/San Francisco/napa valley in the past.

Everyone loves different things, and you’ll have your own favourite memories.

But even my least favourites I would do again, just love America.

Have fun planning, the planning is almost as exciting as the holiday!

chemenger Sat 13-Jul-19 18:28:32

Moab is another great town, apart from Arches and Canyonlands National Parks there is Dead Horse Point State Park which has Thelma and Louise point. You can go on river trips or jeep trips on the slick rock as well. Good food there too.

Bollocksitshappenedagain Sat 13-Jul-19 14:47:28

Mine wasn't a road trip as I flew! But I did the following.

Yosemite - amazing.
San Francisco - loved it
Vegas - only couple of nights as a base for Grand Canyon. Not any feelings one way or the other.
LA - ok. But not great. I like wandering and it didn't seem to lend itself to that.
Grand Canyon - bit of a let down after Yosemite to be honest!

BubblesBuddy Sat 13-Jul-19 14:32:43

Yes chemenger! Totally agree. We did very similar! I realised my post was so long I missed some great bits out. Jeep trip (seriously off road) from Auray or Durango is also amazing!

chemenger Thu 11-Jul-19 18:35:40

Durango is one of my favourite places in the South West. We did a trip that included going up to Silverton on the train then down by minibus to go rafting on the river in Durango. Steamboat Springs is another nice mountain resort with lots going on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »