Talk

Advanced search

New York - Solo Alternative

(5 Posts)
supercee Wed 03-Jul-19 09:55:07

I managed to get really cheap flights to JFK a few months back, great flight times with Virgin Atlantic, flying in September for a week. Turns out due to Fashion Week, the UN General Assembly and generally nice weather at that time of year, hotels are ridiculously expensive (doh! on my part).

Due to change in personal circumstances I also won't be as flush so my budget has very much deteriorated. I have been to NYC twice before so have done a lot of the main attractions.

I was considering staying in Brooklyn but wondered if there were any other cheaper alternative options to consider? Camping even?!
I'm late 30's and will be flying solo and up for pretty much experiencing something a bit 'different'.

Any suggestions?

ProseccoSupernova Thu 04-Jul-19 15:54:02

You could fly in and out of New York but do a little fly drive or take the train... Connecticut into Rhode Island (Newport beach is lovely) and then onto cape cod or Boston. Not cheap but probably cheaper than New York.

supercee Fri 05-Jul-19 07:02:35

Thanks @ProseccoSupernova now thinking of flying to Niagara Falls (USA side) from JFK, then to Boston, then mega cheap bus to NYC. I've never considered exploring that side of America, always wanted to do the West Coast or just NYC but now I've started researching it it looks amazing.

Still working out cheaper than a week in NYC, even though Boston accommodation is equally insane!

stucknoue Fri 05-Jul-19 07:13:57

A youth hostel maybe? But otherwise try heading up state, it's beautiful, the greyhound is cheap

chemenger Mon 08-Jul-19 06:16:28

A friend of mine swears by the YMCA, shared bathrooms but private bedrooms and a great location. It also has a pool.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »