Talk

Advanced search

Box jellyfish Thailand

(12 Posts)
jitterbugintomybrain Mon 01-Jul-19 22:43:34

We are off to Koh Pha-ngan this summer which I am really looking forward to except I have scared myself silly reading all about box jellyfish. They are prevalent there and can kill you within 5 minutes. Am seriously considering buying stinger suits.

Anyone been and got any advice?

maxelly Tue 02-Jul-19 12:22:23

Hi, we recently went to Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Koh Phanagan and didn't see any jellyfish either dead or alive (I'm terrified by the bastards so was looking out). We were scuba diving for part of the trip and think jellyfish may have been vaguely mentioned as part of the safety briefing but it certainly wasn't made a big deal of which I'm sure it would have been if it was a frequent problem. I have seen the news stories you are talking about but realistically it's a tiny tiny % of the thousands and thousands people who visit the islands every year who have a problem with any jellyfish at all never mind these particularly nasty ones, so statistically there's nothing to worry about.

Buy the suits if it will put your mind at rest (do they also give some sun protection?) but otherwise I would just take normal precautions e.g. look out and obey any local signage about avoiding certain areas, teach your kids not to poke at or pick up dead stuff on the beach and if you do see jellyfish leave the water quickly and calmly. I assume you are likely to be sticking to shallow waters anyway?

Enjoy your holiday, lovely lovely part of the world!

jitterbugintomybrain Tue 02-Jul-19 13:03:41

Thanks Maxelly. I know I am being a bit ott. A little boy was killed by one a few years ago whilst paddling. And there have been quite a few deaths. I think I will get the suits for peace of mind, despite the fact we will look a bit weird!! 🙈
Can't wait to go, never been to Thailand before!

Stopyourhavering64 Wed 03-Jul-19 04:34:44

Koh Phangan is amazing....we went last September and loved it, so much less developed than Koh Samui ( but in a good way)
We stayed in NE of island at Anantara Rasanada on Ao Thong Nai Pan beach....absolutely beautiful and peaceful.....the bay is safe to swim in ,( no strong currents) although there are notices along beach about box jellyfish ( and bottles of vinegar)
The staff of hotel did pull one out of the sea while we were there, but it was quite far out - I didn't swim out of my depth for that reason - although we felt reassured that the hotel staff kept an eye out for any unwanted visitors
Fortunately our room had its own plunge pool on the beach , looking out to bay , so that suited me just perfectly!

jitterbugintomybrain Fri 05-Jul-19 07:27:15

Oh that's good to hear, Stopyour. Can't wait now! Thanks for reply. Think I'll keep vinegar to hand to reassure me.

fuzzyduck1 Sun 07-Jul-19 19:04:36

There’s scarier things in Koh Phangan than jelly fish. Watch out for the drinks they sell at the full moon party you don’t get what they show you.
Saw one girl showing a bucket with brand vodka red bull and coke.
Then take bucket behind stall filled with industrial alcohol cheep cola and lots of sugar.

jitterbugintomybrain Sun 07-Jul-19 23:34:12

Ha ha Fuzzy, we won't be at any full moon parties, we are staying on the quiet side of the island.

cardy1969 Tue 09-Jul-19 13:06:46

We're off to Koh Samui the week after next and wasn't aware of the box jelly fish so will be extra cautious now. We might pop over to Koh Phangan for a night, would you recommend this?

jitterbugintomybrain Tue 09-Jul-19 20:22:12

I don't know as I've never been before, Cardy., Looks gorgeous on the pictures though!

maggiethecat Sun 14-Jul-19 10:53:34

Am in Samui at the moment and was not aware of the issue until a fellow guest who is Thai mentioned that JF was an issue a couple of years ago. Beaches with problems will be signposted and they’ll prob have vinegar stations. Presuming the same will apply to Pha-ngan. Not heard of any incidents occurring
this year.

jitterbugintomybrain Sun 14-Jul-19 21:22:26

Thanks, Maggie. I know the chances are like 0.00001% but still worry because of my kids.

Chapellass Sun 14-Jul-19 23:30:17

Your resort will tell you if they are in the water when you are there, or if they don't know ask one of the dive companies. Been many times and never seen one (other than way out at sea)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »