Talk

Advanced search

Mexico

(20 Posts)
Justtheoneplease Mon 01-Jul-19 11:55:34

It's my DH and mine 25th wedding Anniversary next year. I been looking at doing a 'special " holiday. Dh is hopeless at any input, he loves it when we are away but hates all the looking and planning stage whereas that's the bit I love!
We have over the years done, camping in France with the kids, a couple of All inc with the kids, a couple of greek s/c with the kids and recently a couple of greek islands on our own.
All great holidays and suited us at the time. Now the only input I can get from Dh is he what he doesn't want. He doesn't want Greece, Italy or France. Not that he doesn't like them but wants something different but can't come up with what he actually wants!
So I fancy Mexico but I will need to sell it to him. So far have seen some fabulous hotels, all inc, great beaches
restaurants etc all very nice with great reviews.
But apart from that I know nothing about where, when to go, what or where to avoid.
So please can I have some advice recommendations.
I know in the big scheme of things this is such a stupid thing to worry about, as a family with have had such a horrible few years recently with illnesses etc. My Dh works so hard for us and I really want him to have a fantastic time. I know he would love it once there. Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 01-Jul-19 12:02:09

What time of year are you going to travel?.

Some Mexican coastal resorts have and continue to have problems with sargassum seaweed. This problem is also more prevalent at certain times of the year.

Finfintytint Mon 01-Jul-19 12:08:31

I loved Mexico. We went at Christmas time many years ago.
There's plenty to do but I'd avoid anywhere where a cruise ship docks. Extremely busy and ramped up prices.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 01-Jul-19 12:10:58

Mexico is brilliant, one of our favourite holidays ever.

The seaweed was ridiculous but we're pool people not beach people anyway but understandably it really pissed people off!

Sarahjconnor Mon 01-Jul-19 12:18:51

Were going in 3 weeks! I am very excited. Where are you thinking of?

IStillMissBlockbuster Mon 01-Jul-19 12:21:40

Google Cenotes, they're awesome. You could go to Chichen Itza, that's stunning. I loved Mexico.

Justtheoneplease Mon 01-Jul-19 12:35:45

Thanks for such quick replies. Anniversary is mid May but not worried about being away for then, anytime between April band September ideally, which ever is the best time to go.
Is there somewhere we can avoid the seaweed problem? I love a beach x

Tentomidnight Mon 01-Jul-19 12:37:18

Pacific coast to avoid the seaweed.

wafflethewonderdog Mon 01-Jul-19 12:40:08

We went 6 years ago at the end of May for our honeymoon. It was amazing. We stayed at Riviera Maya. The beach and sea were beautiful. It was hot and sunny. We had a couple of thunderstorms but the sun was back out minutes later.

Willowkoko Mon 01-Jul-19 12:43:45

We went to Riviera Maya last year, chose an all inclusive resort with a private beach (standard on most hotels in Mexico) DD was 3 and we had a fantastic time, went on plenty of trips organised through our rep, swimming with turtles, cave diving and zip wiring. Had a fantastic time, the staff were truly brilliant. We were a five minute taxi ride from a shopping centre which was brilliant, lots of security and guards around.

We went late August purely because of DH work schedule, and it was brilliant for us. Great weather and not too busy, a tour rep I spoke to told me that you shouldn’t book during spring break or around Christmas because it’s too busy, he said the best time to visit Mexico is when Americans are not on break.

Justtheoneplease Mon 01-Jul-19 12:48:49

All sounds lovely. Would booking to go around mid June be ok? Any must do trips?
Getting excited now.....just need to persuade anti holiday booking, sensible Dh smile

AnthonyCrowley Mon 01-Jul-19 13:07:41

I'm going in a couple of weeks. Mid June should be fine, rainy season starts end of June I think but people have reassured Me that generally you get a little bit of rain in the afternoon and then it stops.

I'm staying just south of playa del Carmen. Ive booked a trip to the ruins at Coba and also to Tulum. And planning on going to some cenotes and also a day to Xcaret.

Other trips which are meant to be good are Xel-ha. And the bio reserve at Si'an Ka'an. Have a look at trip advisor and you can see all the trips, etc which people recommend. Depends what sort of stuff you like. There looks to be lots of good boat trips for snorkelling and whale watching, etc.

Justtheoneplease Mon 01-Jul-19 13:55:07

Please report back, sounds fab AnthonyCrowley smile

AnthonyCrowley Mon 01-Jul-19 14:20:47

Will do, sadly I'm not partaking in any boat trips as I get terrible sea sickness even with tablets. Doesn't matter how calm it is.

I haven't booked any other trips yet even though there's stuff like jungle tours which look good as not sure how much time I just want to chill and how much time I want to do be doing activities. I might just want to snooze by the pool all day. grin

Though I am excited for going shopping in playa del carmen as they have all the american shops we don't get here.

Staying here the grounds look amazing

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 01-Jul-19 14:27:34

I would do a lot more reading around the sargassum situation and clear up on this coastline before committing yourself to any booking.

AnthonyCrowley Mon 01-Jul-19 15:34:05

The seaweed is meant to be bad around the Tulum area and then patchy/bad up the coast all the way to Playa del Carmen. Not sure what its like from there to Cancun.

Some days it's bad, other days it isn't as bad according to the reports and the hotels spend a lot of time clearing it. People say it was worse last year. Who knows if it will be worse or better next year?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 01-Jul-19 17:10:13

This article was written on the 30th June 2019.
www.mexicanist.com/l/cancun-seaweed-sargassum/.

It has been a problem on this part of the Mexican coastline since 2014. Some islands in the Caribbean have also been affected by the sargassum bloom.

AnthonyCrowley Mon 01-Jul-19 17:25:28

Oh dear......will still be nicer than Skeggy though! grin

Thankfully I'm not much of a beach person, think I will prefer the cenotes anyway.

slalomsuki Mon 01-Jul-19 17:30:05

Anthony we are staying at the same place as you and also in 2 weeks. I won't take my Mumsnet scarf but am also excited and looking forward to the relaxation.

Sosayi Tue 16-Jul-19 00:37:43

Cancun doesn’t get hardly any seaweed
I was there in Feb and June no seaweed at all and the very little that was around was quickly removed
I’ve stayed at the Rui Caribe and the Rui Peninsula and the Beach Palace in Cancun several times
The beach at the Rui Cancun is perfect no seaweed
The Peninsula is five star right next to the Caribe
The Peninsula beach is quite rocky
whereas the Caribe beach is perfect white sand
If you stay at the Peninsula you can use all the other Rui hotels as it’s a five star hotel

But the Caribe is 4 star so you can only acces other 4 stars

Beach Palace is beautiful modern hotel but a bit soulless it’s opposite La Isla
Beach is perfect no seaweed
With the Beach Palace you can go to all the other palace hotels and have lunch and dinner and all Inc drinks

This inc moon palace sun palace and the one on the island
This is the same deal for the Rui Hotels if you go to another hotel the same star grading or less you can have meals and drinks and access all the facilities just like to would in your own hotel
P

Don’t be put off by Cancun if you avoid spring break when is full of drunk falling over young kids it’s great place as you can get out and about easily on the buses
Riviera Maya your pretty much stuck on resort unless you do organise trips

Cancun Lots of stuff to do
Lovely walks around the outdoor mall and marina called La Isla
And you can do all her trips from Cancun that you can do in Riveria Maya
And nip over to Isla Mejheres ( wrong spelling )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »