Talk

Advanced search

Australia - whether to fly out to meet teenager on stopover

(12 Posts)
Originallymeonly Sat 29-Jun-19 23:57:37

Can anyone share experiences of 16 year old flying alone back from Australia? When we've flown as a family it's been an overnight in Seoul, I'm wondering about flying out to Seoul to meet the flight from Oz and then fly back to the UK a couple of days later together? Is there a better way to do this, better stopover?

OP’s posts: |
PotteringAlong Sun 30-Jun-19 00:04:12

If she’s got herself from Oz to Seoul she can get herself all the way back!

LiliesAndChocolate Sun 30-Jun-19 04:45:30

Why a stopover and not a transit?
Your best option is the BA 16 flight Sydney-London. It has the shortest transit, and you get out of the flight in Singapore while they clean and refuel the and you don't even have to look around for the gate as you just get out at the very same gate you get back in. Very easy and very safe, and no risk of losing yourself in the corridors.

The BA16 is the flight we always take twice a year. Be aware when booking that there are two flight leaving singapore one after the other. Make sure when purchasing tickets that you are on the BA16 for both the SYD-SIN and SIN-LON and not on the BA12 for the second part.

Aebj Sun 30-Jun-19 04:51:34

What part of Australia? Can she do the Perth - London flight? Perth is a small ,easy to get around airport

RumerGodden Sun 30-Jun-19 05:32:59

Don't stop over, just transit. Long boring flight but they can sleep on one leg and binge watch movies. Choose a flight that goes through a transit airport/country you feel comfortable with - for instance Singapore rather than Bangkok..

IAmAlwaysLikeThis Sun 30-Jun-19 05:37:39

Seoul is the perfect airport to transfer through. Well organised, safe, very few delays, free fast wifi, staff are well trained and helpful.

At 16, she will be totally fine.

Originallymeonly Sun 30-Jun-19 13:48:21

Thanks everyone, I didn't realise you could just bob off then bob on again, I thought you had to sleep over! She'll be flying out with family who can deliver her to the airport in Melbourne on her return.
Not sure if I'm happy or sad I won't get a few days overseas!!

Aebj Sun 30-Jun-19 14:02:38

If she flies from Melbourne to Perth , then to London, it’s the same plane. She’ll go to Perth’s domestic and take off from Perth domestic to. It’s not an over busy place like Sydney came be. It’s very user friendly place

Originallymeonly Sun 30-Jun-19 17:16:59

@potteringalong that is very true, as she'd be old enough to be married with children I don't know why I'm stressing about her travelling independently around the world.
I might just meet her at Heathrow though.

MrsWilkinsonAthome Mon 01-Jul-19 03:56:52

Our exchange student recently took the BA16 flight with the hop on/off at Singapore for cleaning. Had never flown before or left his South Pacific island! And he managed just fine. Said it was really easy.

SnowsInWater Wed 03-Jul-19 06:19:53

Why not meet her in Singapore for a few days holiday? Yes, of course she can do it alone but Singapore is lovely for a short break. We always try and do a stopover there on our way home if we can (though home for us is the opposite direction so it's nice to have done the long flight first).

eurochick Wed 03-Jul-19 07:03:40

I've done the Singapore-London leg of the BA 16 flight. When I joined the plane the people from Oz were just having a wander round the plane and leg stretch. That could be a good plan.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in