Talk

Advanced search

If you were in Toronto for two nights what would you do?

(17 Posts)
wheresmymojo Wed 19-Jun-19 18:59:59

It's DH's 40th and we're doing a road trip around Canada starting in Toronto because there's a specific (very geeky!) convention DH wants to go to.

That leaves us with one day and evening in Toronto together and one day and evening where I'll be on my own as I have zero interest in going to the convention!

We've both been to Toronto before (quite a few years ago) so have done the CN tower.

What would you do with a couple of days and nights in Toronto either with a partner or on your own?

OP’s posts: |
Fedupofballs Wed 19-Jun-19 22:54:28

nothing to add, only I’m looking forward to seeing the replies as we are going to spend a few nights in Toronto for my 40th (followed by a night in Niagara and a night at Niagara on the Lake).

JennyWreny Thu 20-Jun-19 00:00:06

Here's my list ready for our trip to Toronto. It would include a Blue Jays game if they were playing at home when we are there, but they aren't sad. Most of these I've either been to before when we visited in 2016 or picked up names of places either on here or Trip Advisor. Lots of them recommended on a thread before my last trip which was really helpful if you can find it.

Toronto

To do -
Distillery District
Steam Whistle Brewery
Tour Guys free walking tour
Graffiti Alley
St Lawrence Market
Loblaws
CN Tower
Nathan Phillips Square
Eaton Centre
Harbourfront
The Beaches
Cabbagetown
Sugar Beach
Spadina Avenue Bridge - good photo op
Casa Loma

Eat -
Loose Moose
Superpoint
Bang Bang Ice Cream
The Rec Room
El Catrin
Sweet Jesus
Lady Marmalade
Boxcar Social
Earls
Amsterdam Brewhouse
Keg Steakhouse

JennyWreny Thu 20-Jun-19 00:06:22

Here's my old thread in case it's useful.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/longhaul/2731852-What-to-do-in-Toronto-by-myself-in-October

I would definitely add these to the list too -

Royal Ontario Museum
Gallery (can't remember what it's called)
Bike tour - this was great!
Aquarium

Sashkin Thu 20-Jun-19 00:11:04

The Islands! Lovely ferry trip, great views/photo op of the Toronto skyline, bit of nice lakeside walking/beachiness. Hire a SUP or kayak if that is your sort of thing. Sit outside Riviera (Wood’s Island) with a glass of wine if it isn’t.

Sashkin Thu 20-Jun-19 00:11:53

Scarborough Bluffs also beautiful.

SJane48S Thu 20-Jun-19 17:35:08

Think the Eaton Centre is closed now? With the limited time you've got, I'd wander the Harbourfront, do a few museums & depending on when you're going (the ferries when I lived there years ago had restricted winter services), go out to the islands (once you get there, there isn't a huge amount to do but the view over is great!). For shopping, Bloor-Yorkville area has some good (if pricey!)shops and Queen Street West (also known as West Queen West) has quirkier & funkier shops, galleries, bars and restaurants. The Beaches is a nice neighbourhood for a walk - get the streetcar along Queen Street East.Cabbagetown is a good district to stay but I really wouldn't bother going there for a wander - it's just a neighbourhood with lots of Victorian houses. Toronto is a large metropolitan area, Scarborough Bluffs is attractive (and they pronounce it Scarboro) but might be a bit of a schlep! I love Toronto, have fun!

BestIsWest Fri 21-Jun-19 03:27:29

Eaton Centre most definitely open, I’ve been in there tonight. But it’s just s big shopping mall.

We are here right now and my highlight has been a Blue Jays game.

SJane48S Fri 21-Jun-19 07:58:50

Ok! Spent many hours in there so it would have been a shame. The huge Eaton store has closed though hasn't it (hence my confusion!).

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 21-Jun-19 10:28:04

Eatons closed in 1999. Its now a Hudsons Bay store.

Teddybear45 Fri 21-Jun-19 10:34:51

Niagara falls (then off to Buffalo for a bit of outlet shopping). CN tower. There’s a little island near the tower that you can get to by boat - nice beaches and good for a bit of cycling.

SJane48S Fri 21-Jun-19 11:25:34

That makes sense Attila - I lived in Toronto in the early 90's and while I've been back a couple of times lastly in 2008, my last visit staying with friends didn't include main stream shopping and I'd heard Eaton's had closed, assumed it was the centre. If you ever went to the store, it sold a big variety of things so a shame, it was an institution!

Rugbylife Sat 22-Jun-19 20:58:00

We’re flying out to Toronto Monday, it’s my 50th whilst there, We’ve pre booked CN Tower and Aquarium and are hoping to get a Blue Jays game. My 3 ds are 21, 16 and 13 so our first non beach resort trip as they wanted something different.

BestIsWest Sat 22-Jun-19 21:59:49

We’re actually just about to leave the hotel for airport. If you want somewhere cool to eat I recommend The Assembly - lots of street food in one place. DS(21) liked it.

Blue Jays tickets should be easy to get and if you like musicals, Come from Away.

SconNotScone Sun 23-Jun-19 12:10:41

I would get on the hop on/hop off open top bus and get around the city that way. You will stop at many of the attractions PPs have already mentioned and you can choose how long you spend at each place. I think these buses are a great way to get your bearings and see as much of a city in a short space of time!

wheresmymojo Sun 30-Jun-19 19:07:05

Thanks everyone! Sorry I took so long to come back to the thread but will definitely take a good look through all the suggestions grin

OP’s posts: |
Rugbylife Mon 01-Jul-19 04:20:23

We leave for the airport for home in a few hours, we loved the hop on off bus, take the boat tour that comes with it too. Ice hockey hall of fame was good too. Queues weren’t too bad for CN Tower and Aquarium but the schools over here are now finished so busier than the beginning of the week.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in