Talk

Advanced search

Flight socks- help please?

(18 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Fri 14-Jun-19 17:52:37

Can anyone suggest something for a 10hour flight?
Who should wear them? Only those at risk ? I've just started HRT and the warning leaflet is terrifying.
Help!

OP’s posts: |
Fraxion Fri 14-Jun-19 20:33:12

I have tried absolutely loads of different flight socks and wore these for a flight to Australia not that long ago (the Flysafe ones). Not very pretty but they are so comfortable, feel like normal socks and not a hint of swelling when we arrived at the other end. Best socks I have tried to date. Compression Socks

HappyHammy Fri 14-Jun-19 20:34:56

Everyone should wear them, its also important to get up and walk about, drink plenty of water, no alcohol or sedatives if you can.

BubblesBuddy Sat 15-Jun-19 10:00:23

I’ve bought ones from Boots and they are fine. I’m going to check out the ones mentioned above. If you are in economy and cannot put your feet up, I think they are essential. Walk around and drink water!

CornerofUpandDown Sat 15-Jun-19 10:05:07

Everyone should wear them (added bonus they prevent swelling that often happens after the flight). If you don't fly often the ones from boots are fine, but if you plan on wearing them a lot get a sturdier pair. I wear these: www.amazon.co.uk/Physix-Gear-Compression-Graduated-Maternity/dp/B01J4MF5UY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?psc=1&s=gateway&crid=2AWUQBDHX1VAK&keywords=compression+socks+for+women&sprefix=Compress%2Caps%2C315&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1560589420&sr=8-1-spons, but they are all pretty par for the course so get the ones you like

Fraxion Sat 15-Jun-19 10:07:08

I've had the ones from Boots in the past but they were that tight shiny nylon that sets my teeth on edge. Could not wait to take them off! On the other hand, the ones I posted above I put on before I left the house, 24 hours of travelling later and they were still comfortable.

Yes to drinking loads of water. I also tend to keep my ankles moving inflight (when I'm not sleeping).

glitterbiscuits Sat 15-Jun-19 20:12:49

Thanks. I will get some for me and DH

Persuading my teenagers may be another thing.

Wenchelda Sun 16-Jun-19 20:19:59

Sorry to jump in, but I a, soon to be flying UK-Australia with 9yo and 7yo. I've already got compression socks for me, but do children need to wear them too? (And if so, where do I get the, from?) thanks

Fraxion Mon 17-Jun-19 08:28:53

I don't think compression socks are recommended for children under 16 unless there is a medical need. I've ever seen them advertised for children and I've bought a lot of them.

TapasForTwo Mon 17-Jun-19 08:31:02

I just bought some from Boots for a flight to Orlando. They were fine. My feet get cold on planes anyway.

crustycrab Mon 17-Jun-19 10:15:48

I'm shocked at the amount of people that don't wear them!

TapasForTwo Mon 17-Jun-19 10:57:29

I'm not. I would never have occurred to me last time, except that it was the first long haul flight for me in 20 years, and I am 20 years older. I don't wear them for short haul flights.

I think that, unless someone has been medically advised or had a health scare, it wouldn't occur to them either.

thenightsky Mon 17-Jun-19 11:00:15

I'm on HRT and the last time I flew long haul was April. My feet were like balloons after just 2 hours and really hurt. I couldn't walk when we landed and DH had to get a wheelchair for me. They took about 4 days to go down fully.

I've now got some flight socks - found them in the middle aisle of Lidl for about £4

glitterbiscuits Mon 17-Jun-19 12:39:41

That's interesting *@thenightsky*. ** Did they swell on both parts of the journey? There and back ?Have you worn the socks on a flight since? I suppose that is the test that they work.

Maybe I need a chat with my GP to see if I should come off HRT for a bit.
I'm going to buy the socks anyway.

Thanks

Fraxion Mon 17-Jun-19 20:29:51

* I don't wear them for short haul flights.*

I wear them for every flight now, apart from short internal flights, they're just part of my flying routine.

thenightsky Mon 17-Jun-19 20:35:40

@glitterbiscuits They swelled a bit on the way out, but not massively. Coming home was a night flight and I really wanted to sleep, but couldn't due to my feet hurting so much. Honestly, I wanted to lie in the aisle with my feet above my head. It was a 9 hour flight.

I shall be testing the flight socks next week on a 5 hour flight.

CMOTDibbler Mon 17-Jun-19 20:39:58

I'm a very frequent flyer and have tried many compression socks over the years. The Physix ones from Amazon are fab, really comfy and do the job - this year they've been to Australia and back, plus three trips to the US and I had no swelling in my legs and feet after any of that

glitterbiscuits Mon 17-Jun-19 20:58:07

Thanks all.

@thenightsky if it's not too much trouble would you report back on if they make a difference.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in