Talk

Advanced search

British airways stuff

(13 Posts)
thetwoshow Tue 11-Jun-19 19:41:19

Hi there
We have booked a family holiday to Los Angeles five of us on the same booking with B A all over 18 so no children.
Question is should I pay the extra to book seats or will BA put us together anyway?
I'm used to Ryanair so wondered if B A have the same approach which is to put you as far away from one another as possible?

OP’s posts: |
BritWifeinUSA Wed 12-Jun-19 03:23:39

They won’t put you anywhere yet. Either you pay and select your own seats in advance or you check in online and select your seats at no cost (24 hours before flight leaves) or you get checked in at the airport and they assign your seats then (no guarantee you’ll be together). Why anyone would wait until the airport if they can check in online the day before and select their own seats is beyond me. Set a reminder for exactly 24 hours before flight leaves and log on immediately and grab seats together.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 12-Jun-19 03:25:33

Agree with Brit - just check in online and select seats for free.

IAmAlwaysLikeThis Wed 12-Jun-19 03:27:37

It depends on the flight. I've been on flights with BA where I had to pay for certain seats eg middle seats were all free but you had to pay to "upgrade" to window or aisle seats. So obviously if you wanted to sit together, it cost.

It's ridiculous.

Not all flights though.

LoveYourHome9 Wed 12-Jun-19 03:53:24

As above, you can select seats 24 hours before for free.

Anyone who has already paid the extra to prebook seats, those seats will be highlighted one colour.

You can choose seats around them.

There is always the chance that you won’t get 5 seats directly together easily.
No way of knowing, just depends on how many people on your particular flight have prebooked, how busy the flight is, time
Of year etc.

I’d hazard a guess that you’ll be able to get 3 together and 2 together the row behind each other of a couple of rows apart.
5 in a row might be tricky.

Depends on how keen you are to sit immediately together and whether it’s worth it cost wise

SJane48S Wed 12-Jun-19 08:22:29

As above, just get on it as soon as check in opens. We've never had a problem getting seats together doing it that way but 5 people might involve two rows. On another note, how nice does having a seat on your own on a long haul flight with no kids sound?!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 12-Jun-19 09:19:32

How much of a priority is it for part or all of your party to sit next to each other?.

When are you travelling there?. If its for instance in July or August the flight will be in all likelihood full.

I doubt very much they will sit you all together and it is possible you could be all placed in different rows.

thetwoshow Wed 12-Jun-19 17:59:14

Ok to book seats is actually quite an additional cost
Will just hope we can check in
I suppose the flights a part of the holiday really so nice if you can chat with a friend etc
Thanks fir your replies

OP’s posts: |
SpoonBlender Wed 12-Jun-19 18:08:09

Get the BA app and allow it to send you notifications, and tell it about your flight - it'll flag up when your flight is ready for check in, gives you max chance.

As long as you're going for normal seats, it's unlikely you'll have any trouble. Last time I tried to upgrade to fancier seats, by the time I'd checked out all the five different types they'd all gone!

Checking out the plane on www.seatguru.com/ is what I should have done beforehand...

BubblesBuddy Wed 12-Jun-19 19:03:30

I use seat guru. I would take a 2 and 3 seat configuration. You might be assigned together. I always move us to near the front of a cabin if I can and business upstairs on a jumbo if that’s the plane. Got that on last flight and it’s like first! It’s the best. Doing it for 5 might be an issue and I’d make sure you check in dead on the dot of 24 hours earlier. You will pay in advance of that and more if it’s better legroom. All BA long haul have this policy as far as I know.

babbi Fri 14-Jun-19 06:27:21

As above 24 hours before !!
DD and I regularly fly BA ( off next week again!). About 8 flights in the last year and we’ve never paid to sit together .
We use the BA app and it flashes up 24 hours before ... when we log in we have already been allocated 2 seats together we only move them if we are being fussy !!

Appreciate 5 together is not just as easy though .

Have a fantastic time - we are all to LA later this year too !

babbi Fri 14-Jun-19 06:27:46

Off to LA 🙊

eurochick Fri 14-Jun-19 07:00:25

Do it the minute online check In opens and it should be fine. As another poster said, if you are unlucky you might end up with 3 together and 2 together but you shouldn't all be dotted around the plane.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in