Talk

Advanced search

NYC and ?

(20 Posts)
Moshmoshi Sat 08-Jun-19 21:02:16

Thinking of a two centre holiday next April. A week in NYC then a week -? possibly Boston anyone got any good suggestions? Will be the first time in the US for our DCs (ages 7-14.)

Also hoping to get some helpful tips for accommodation in New York that won't be too pricey.

OP’s posts: |
Paddybare Sat 08-Jun-19 21:07:33

Boston is definitely worth a visit but you could also include Washington DC and perhaps Philadelphia on the way? You can get the train too if you don’t want to drive/fly. There are so many hotels in New York of various levels, we’ve never spent long actually in the hotel while there- you just want to be out all the time soaking it up. There are plenty of options at the more basic but comfortable end of the spectrum, even in central Manhattan. Get on booking.com or similar and have an explore. It is cheaper to stay north of Central Park or in Brooklyn but you’ll spend a lot of time ‘commuting’ if you do. Happy planning!

Aquamarine1029 Sat 08-Jun-19 21:11:01

It can still be quite cold in NY and Boston at that time of year.

Moshmoshi Sat 08-Jun-19 21:18:58

Thanks, hadn't thought about Philadelphia. I think it would better a bit cold than August heat for our DCs. Paddybare, when I've looked the cheapest are miles out any in Manhattan seem to be £2k + for a week- was wondering if that was reasonable?

pallisers Sat 08-Jun-19 21:25:11

Washington would be nicer at that time of year and is full of really interesting museums and stuff for kids of that age (mind you you will probably be there with every 8th grader in the country). Early April is also when the cherry blossoms bloom. Boston also excellent for history/museums/things to do. It is unlikely to be very cold in April just needing a jacket and a raincoat.

Grumpasaurus Sat 08-Jun-19 21:52:13

Chicago is awesome. We are here at the moment and already want to come back!

Paddybare Sat 08-Jun-19 22:10:41

It’s probably around what I would expect for a week for four. Have you looked at Airbnb?

Moshmoshi Sun 09-Jun-19 00:18:04

Hadn't considered Chicago- might be a lot more expensive than an East Coast city. Ok will have to just save more if 2K not unreasonable! am looking at air bnb, booking.com and expedia. found some really god value flights tempted to book them and sort accommodation out afterwards rather than trying to do it all at once.

Moshmoshi Sun 09-Jun-19 00:18:48

expensive to fly home Chicago from I meant

HerRoyalNotness Sun 09-Jun-19 00:27:37

We did DC then drove to NY over Xmas with one night in Philly to see the liberty bell. We stayed at a Sheraton in NY about 7th/27th, it was just over $100 a night.

We enjoyed DC but wouldn’t spend more than maybe 3 days there. We spent a week, and. went out to Chesapeake and Washington’s house mt Vernon? And a day at the zoo

redredrobins Sun 09-Jun-19 01:15:56

Washington DC is awesome, loads of free museums just off the National Mall, and also the memorials, Lincoln, Jefferson etc.
My kids, 13 and 17 at the time, loved the Air and space museum and Native American museum. If they or you are into aviation and you have a car visit the aviation museum next to Dulles airport it has a space shuttle as well as loads of historic aircraft.
DC is also in easy driving distance to Colonial Williamsberg , a town of original 1700's buildings, with staff dressed in costume playing the part of residents and interacting with visitors. It is set at the time of the declaration of independence and so has some exciting stuff going on. If you are interested in history it is well worth a visit, there is also a theme park nearby (six flags if I recall correctly) so fun stuff for the younger child too.

m0therofdragons Sun 09-Jun-19 10:55:40

We did New York and Chicago. Absolutely loved both - ny to visit and Chicago I could live in. We also drive up to the lakes in Wisconsin.

Slight warning; internal flights in US are notoriously terrible. We were left stranded in ny airport with no space on flights for the 5 of us. We ended up hiring a car and driving 17 hours to Chicago. Amazing experience but not entirely what we'd planned with a 9 yo and two 6yos!

Starfish85 Sun 09-Jun-19 11:12:37

I've spent a lot of time travelling between US cities and think Boston would probably be a let down after NYC. Washington DC however would be great and you can get the train there and it has loads on all in walking distance. Lots of great restaurants, open spaces, free museums and as a PP said it will also have the cherry blossom festival at that time.
If your finances will stretch to it I would also consider New Orleans. It's a great combination to do with nyc as it's totally different, lots for families to do and generally a brilliant place to visit.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sun 09-Jun-19 11:21:22

The northern US can be bloody freezing still in April. Or not. It depends on the year.

If you were going later in the year, and enjoy scenery and wildlife, I'd suggest a road trip round upstate New York. Stunningly beautiful.

m0therofdragons Sun 09-Jun-19 11:32:56

April in NY we had snow then the next day dd1 got tan lines from Central Park grin layers are your friend.

SJane48S Sun 09-Jun-19 14:03:25

How about Toronto? I've done the journey twice between the two (over night by Greyhound - wouldn't do this with kids though!) & it's a very do-able combo by train or plane & your DC will get a taste of two countries. We're off to NY in October for a short break for DH's 50th. I found the hotels in Manhattan ridiculously pricey for what they are so have rented an apartment through HomeAway in Brooklyn for £770 for 5 nights. The legalities of short term apartment let's in NY are very complex - I've read a couple of Mumnetters state that all short term holiday let's are illegal (which if you research it, doesn't appear completely true but it's highly nuanced & open to interpretations) & other Mumsnetters who've just come back from NY, done similar and had absolutely no issues. I've also checked with the legal department at Home Away who state the lets on their site have been checked as legal lets. It is an extremely grey area though and we're going into it with our eyes open!

Mixingitall Sun 09-Jun-19 14:08:30

How about Miami, and then driving down to the Florida Keys? We did the keys in December and it was warm!

bestbefore Sun 09-Jun-19 14:21:03

How about Orlando? We did a week in Orlando, then flew to Washington for a couple of days and then train to NYC and flew home from there after a few days. Was v good!

Moshmoshi Sun 09-Jun-19 23:18:00

So many great ideas, thank you all so much , lots to think about. I think I need to sort what our maximum budget then plan from that- flying from anywhere but the NE is adding at least £1k to the flight prices!

Hollowvictory Mon 10-Jun-19 09:07:24

We combined with Mexico for some Caribbean sun

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in