Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tips for taking an 11 month old on a 4 1/2 hour flight!?!

(64 Posts)
REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 19:56:25

title says it all really. I'm taking ds on his first holiday next weekend. There will be lots of family members on the flight (12 of us in total) but tbh i am dreading the flight!! any tips/suggestions?

belgo Sun 22-Jul-07 20:07:52

Show him lots of things at the airport rather then keeping him strapped into a pushchair. I've always found a babycarrier/sling far more convenient then a push chair anyway.

Have plenty of snacks and drinks in your bag, and a couple of new little toys that do something interesting (well, interesting for an eleven month old!)

Also, I find a muslin square very handy as a bid and to mop up spills.

And a spare set of clothes for him, and a spare top for you just in case everything gets messed up.

Don't worry, it will be fine! I've flown plenty of times on my own with my two dds.

funnypeevesculiar Sun 22-Jul-07 20:16:18

May well be much better than you think - all our flights with dcs have been (inc 8 hour flight to states with 15 mth & 3 1/2 yo last month!)
Agree with everything belgo says - we always arrive at airport with lots of time so they can run/crawl round & have a snack etc before flight.
Keep a comforting toy to hand if you think they might be scared (neither of ours have been)
We wrap up new little toys/books to make them even more exciting - and brief family to shop for them to - you can't have too many imho.
Something to eat on takeoff/landing helps to 'pop' their ears - raisins are ideal as they keep them eating for a long time! It's also the hardest time (esp when they're that age) as they need to be sitting still on your lap - so food is the ideal distraction!

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 20:28:32

great so far thanks! can an 11 month old have raisins?

funnypeevesculiar Sun 22-Jul-07 20:30:32

Lord yes - mine had raisins from about 7 mths (am notoriously lax about chocking hazard, but even so!)

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 20:33:30

tbh it had never even occured to me to give them to him! he eats everything and anything, and although i used to get mega stressed about choking, i dont really worry about it now because he eats all sorts without any probems <<<runs to touch wood>>>

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 21:22:48

any more suggestions anyone?

Devonshire Sun 22-Jul-07 21:28:27

with 12 family members i doubt you will even get a hold of your baby!

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 22:00:35

bump

oooggs Sun 22-Jul-07 22:03:10

we flew to states when ds1 was 11 months and it was fine. New toys, new books, lots of things to eat, he will have loads of familiar peolple to entertain him.

But most importantly you are very unlikey ever going to see the other passengers again so don't worry

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 22:07:47

thanks oooggs! i think food is the key! luckily ds takes after his mummy and is always happy when eating!!! good job there is weight allowance on him like there is on the luggage hey? lol

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 22:08:42

oops i mean, NO weight allowance...

auntyspan Sun 22-Jul-07 22:11:45

I flew to Greece with DP and 9 month old last year. The worst thing was her (DD) getting wriggly towards the end of the flight - luckily we had some nice people behind us on the plane so they were making faces at her and making her laugh. You need LOTS of distractions and if you've got loads of family on the flight it shouldn't be too bad as everyone can take turns walking you DS round the cabin....
I filled up a couple of old plastic bottles - one with water and glitter (stole the idea from nursery) and the other with shredded foil so it caught the light - they kept DD occupied for ages, they didn't make a noise and they were free!!

HTH - good luck, it'll go by in flash, [promise...]

REIDmylips Sun 22-Jul-07 22:18:24

mmh, i wonder if water and glitter will be allowed through security now!! that sounds like a fab idea!

i am hoping that the fact we have such a large number of us will make it easier for him. He isn't yet crawling or walking but is desperate to do one or the other. I have a sneaky feeling that he will crawl before the end of the week, just to add to the dread!

He is a really good boy (not that i am at all biased) so i'm sure i am worrying for nothing.

Thank you for the advice, very much appreciated!

vanesie Sun 22-Jul-07 22:33:25

avoid any day time naps and also bring safety chain for soother if child takes one, because my ds tends to throw his very far. enjoy....

vanesie Sun 22-Jul-07 22:33:26

avoid any day time naps and also bring safety chain for soother if child takes one, because my ds tends to throw his very far. enjoy....

auntyspan Mon 23-Jul-07 09:39:19

Ah yes Reid, very good point re: security.

Might not be such a good idea afterall!!

REIDmylips Mon 23-Jul-07 14:19:29

we are flying at 10 am so he will probably have a nap before we fly then hopefully one in the car seat on the journey from the airport to the hotel. There is no way he will sleep on the plane!

maisym Mon 23-Jul-07 14:21:55

wera comfy trousers as your little one will be standing up on your lap a lot. Also baby wipes for any spills or sick. A baysling for getting on & off the plane as well.

stealthsquiggle Mon 23-Jul-07 14:25:15

reidy - read the security stuff really carefully and pack accordingly. Bottles of milk or juice have to be tasted in front of security staff, as do jars. All bottles and jars (as well as liquid meds, nappy creams, etc) need to be separated out for security and they are really strict about one bag per person.

Are you really sure he won't sleep? Give him a drink (bottle if he still has one) as the 'plane starts taxi-ing for take off. It will help his ears (at worst) and at best will send him to sleep. We did a total of 10 flights in one trip with DS at that age and he fell asleep on take-off every single time!

REIDmylips Mon 23-Jul-07 14:30:34

he has 2 half hour naps per day, one at around 10am the other around 3pm, he fights them like mad on a good day and hasn't fallen asleep in someones arms since he was 3 months old unfortunately

He is just not a cuddly baby at all so i am 99% sure that he wont sleep during the flight, however i will of course be trying my hardest!

The best option i think is to make sure he has a nap before the flight (which fits in with his usual routine) so that he is at least in a good mood on the flight and not really grumpy.

REIDmylips Mon 23-Jul-07 19:22:40

bump

hifi Mon 23-Jul-07 19:40:30

change his nappy if poss before you board, its hell in the loos.

REIDmylips Mon 23-Jul-07 19:48:02

i cant believe i hadnt thought of that! thats a great tip!

Scootergrrrl Mon 23-Jul-07 19:53:06

If he's crawling by then, just let him go up and down the aisle - as long as the drinks trolley isn't making its rounds! Otherwise, if he's not in anyone's way let him sit on the floor and play - the front seats are best for this as you've got a big space in front. Get there early to try ot bag good seats at the front!
Snacktraps (www.snacktrap.co.uk) are ace for filling with bits - mix up cheerios, raisins, bits of anything he likes and he'll have fun delving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now