Talk

Advanced search

Japan with a toddler

(5 Posts)
user1465146157 Mon 03-Jun-19 14:24:51

we are thinking of going to Japan when my DD will be 2yrs 9 months.

I know nothing about the country or the best sights to see - is it a good idea with a young person?

I read there's a long drive from the airport to city, is that correct?

what kinds of things would be good to do there with a child?

any tips or feedback appreciated!

BubblesBuddy Mon 03-Jun-19 23:58:41

Personally I wouldn’t do it. It means you might be restricted in where you went and what you will see due to the need to travel around which your DD might find really boring. Most people visit cities and temples so would this work for you?

I would not be able to fulfil my holiday wishes there and have a sub 3 year old in tow who would probably prefer a beach and a pool! Of course you might have this at home and really want something different. Japan is very different but I couldn’t compromise my holiday there to ensure my children were happy. So we did what suited our DC until they were a bit older and could be happy about the experience we were asking them to have. However I know lots of people feel differently and will be totally child focussed in the most exotic of locations!!

The journey from Haneda airport isn’t so bad but traffic and the location of your hotel can make it an hour plus.

The best sights are the streets, city life, temples, castles, eating out, hiking, staying in a ryokan, the Shinkansen and experiencing Japanese customs such as sumo and learning origami! Lots more of course!

PotolBabu Tue 04-Jun-19 00:16:43

My best friend just went with a 3 year old and a newborn. 3 year old was obsessed by the trains. They did the usual touristy bits but at a slower pace. They said they found it quite child friendly. I can ask for more details and get back to you.

user1465146157 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:18:05

thanks both!

@PotolBabu would appreciate more details if you have any!

Swiftier Mon 08-Jul-19 15:09:00

I think it’s child friendly in the sense that it’s safe, easy to travel around, very high standards of living (no worries about getting sick or anything). But as @BubblesBuddy days I’m not sure how much a small child would enjoy the best of Japan - wandering around temples and shrines, street food, onsen, nightlife. Personally I’d choose a more chilled holiday for a child of that age and go to japan when they were older and could appreciate it a bit more - I’m sure older kids/teens would love Japan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »