Talk

Advanced search

Cost comparison long haul destination vs short haul Europe

(7 Posts)
cloughie100 Fri 31-May-19 23:13:36

Just trying to book flights for this August to Greece/Turkey coming out at about £350 each and I’m now wondering whether I could book long haul flights (obviously more expensive) to SE Asia instead on basis that accommodation /food/transport etc be much cheaper there than Greece so we’d end up spending same amount - does anyone agree?

OP’s posts: |
CheeseFace Sat 01-Jun-19 09:12:25

Totally. I paid less than £500 last year for flights to Thailand, and similar in recent years to Malaysia, Argentina and Bali. I had a 5* hotel in Kuala Lumpur with a view of the Petronas Towers for £50 a night for example.

Rua13 Sat 01-Jun-19 17:10:17

It's the low season for South East Asia so accommodation will be cheaper.It generally will rain for an hour or two a day but there will still be sun.I've been in Langwaki and Thailand in August and it's fine.
Try Jack's Flight Club for cheap deals on flights.
Turkey and Greece will be in the high 30's so it'll be a bit more refreshing in Asia.

Curlybrunette Sat 01-Jun-19 20:29:15

Last year (this same week so Whit week school hols) I was looking for a sunny all inclusive week for the 4 of us. Europe was coming up at almost £4000 for a 4*, I ended up booking the Dominican Republic, a fancy 5* luxury place for £2800.

If you don't mind a long haul flight I'd definitely look further afield

EmmaCB1 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:54:25

We are trying this in August after the cost of holidays in Europe have been going up each year. Last year we went to Portugal instead of the usual France and still spent a fortune. Amazing and cheap street food in south east Asia will help keep costs down I think.

Justmuddlingalong Sat 22-Jun-19 13:17:34

We're going to Thailand this year. 2 weeks half board in Austria was the same price as 2 weeks in Phuket, bed and breakfast.

MrsWilkinsonAthome Wed 26-Jun-19 23:59:36

We are off for 2 weeks in the USA for the Same price as 12 days in Greece!

I booked the flights months ago and got Virgin tickets for £400 each. We are spending a week camping and 5 nights in a hotel on the east coast. Can’t wait.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in