Talk

Advanced search

Canada-US road trip car hire?

(4 Posts)
newjobnerves Sun 26-May-19 10:37:43

DH and I are looking at doing a road trip, we're thinking something like Calgary, Montana, Washington. Something to that effect anyway, usually we fly in and out from the same place but don't want to do that this time, is it possible for us to fly into Canada, hire a car, and drop it off at a US airport to fly home from?

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 26-May-19 11:06:39

You will need to check with the car hire company but most suppliers do not allow one way rentals.

Another thing to check is if the supplier permits you to drive you hire car across the border from the USA to Canada and vice versa.
Most suppliers have no issues with their cars being taken across the border however they need to be notified at the time of making the booking, as registration papers and in some cases extra insurance, may need to be organised.

newjobnerves Sun 26-May-19 11:34:30

@AttilaTheMeerkat thanks, I've not had difficulty finding one way rentals but nothing on the process of crossing the border, thanks for the info.

OP’s posts: |
thisisthetime Sun 26-May-19 11:44:54

We’ve done one way rentals several times but always pick up and drop off in the US or in Canada. So that part won’t be a problem. I’m sure you can cross the border though with the right paperwork in the car. Only done this in Europe and always had to show a ‘permission’ document that was kept with the car.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in