Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Cancun AI : nice or full of drunks?

(30 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Thu 02-May-19 08:39:17

We have been looking at Mexico for a summer holiday - like the combination of culture, food, history and beachy relaxation smile

We've seen a lot of AI deals in Cancun which would be ideal with two constantly snacking teenage boys. However, some of the TripAdvisor reviews seem to suggest that Cancun is mainly a party "spring break" location (I know summer holidays isn't spring break! But that sort of vibe) and that the AIs are full of people who are drunk by lunchtime.

Has anyone been and can you let me know what it was like?

And does anyone have any alternative recommendations for Mexico? We definitely want a beach hotel.

OP’s posts: |
Hollowvictory Thu 02-May-19 18:38:58

Go down the coast from cancun to the riviera Maya eg Tulum. Fabulous.
I would avoid cancun.

CL74scubes Sat 04-May-19 20:03:08

We have just returned from AI in Tulum. Totally recommend! Tulum isn’t as commercial as Cancun. We stayed at Dreams Resort and Spa which was great. We booked 2 trips out with Amstar, Chichen Itza Deluxe and Xel Ha (amazing!!) We also hired a car for 2 days and went to Coba, cenotes and Punta Languna. We took lunch with us from the breakfast buffet smile . It was a fantastic holiday. Tulum is 1hr 20mins from Cancun, we had a private transfer with Trailfinders. If you do head that way make sure you stay in one of the resort hotels not the more boutique ones in central Tulum as they don’t have pools and sea is full of seaweed. Our hotel cleared it up. Also the bars etc in central Tulum beach stretch are v expensive so it’s better to go AI.

AppropriateAdult Sat 04-May-19 20:09:02

We did AI on the Riviera Maya in 2006, it was great. Definitely no obvious drunkenness, AI is expensive so it tends to be couples and families rather than groups of students, say. I'd love to go back...

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 04-May-19 20:10:54

We stayed at the riu tequila last year, playa del Carmen, it was perfect with teens.

MsSquiz Sat 04-May-19 20:11:33

We did AI at the El Dorado Casitas Royale in Riviera Maya and it's one of the best, most relaxing holidays we've been on.

The food was amazing, so much choice, and all of the staff just couldn't do enough for you.

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 04-May-19 20:12:38

Another one who has been & is returning to the riviera maya, definitely worth looking into, Can’t comment on cancun though!

SolitudeAtAltitude Sat 04-May-19 20:17:48

Cancun has amazing sea (turquoise, warm, fun waves) and beach. Don't go in hurricane season though!

Lots of americans, but not seen that many spring breakers. Maybe check the reviews of the AI?

slalomsuki Sat 04-May-19 20:20:35

We've book AI in Cancun for the summer with 3 teenagers and am looking forward to it. Have done AI in Europe before with no problems and it does give the teens a bit of freedom and choice for food and drinks and lets us relax. We've never been to an AI place where they are all drunk by lunch although I would say the first one we did in Majorca tried very hard for that to happen with the measures they served.

I'm sure it will be fine and you will have a ball.

MonkeyfaceThereturn Sat 04-May-19 20:20:44

I've done Moon Palace just down a bit from Cancun. Hotel was amazing. Cancun was Butlins in the sun.

We're off to Riviera Maya to stay at Bahia Principe Tulum next week.

Xel-Ha is an absolute must, zip wires/cliff jumps etc. Great fun!

Never saw any drunkeness in Moon Palace hotel.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Sat 04-May-19 20:24:17

Surprised at the reviews about Cancun. Maybe we were just lucky. Twice to Cancun...loved every single minute of both holidays. No obvious drunks, but as u know, avoid spring break

MonkeyfaceThereturn Sat 04-May-19 20:27:59

I think I'm being unfair.

Cancun was probably lovely. But the row of concrete hotels along the incredible sea front with flags and water sports and loud music just made me shudder. And the shopping centres etc etc....

I'm quite happy in the jungle of Tulum 😂

Xyzzzzz Sat 04-May-19 20:29:05

I’ve done moon palace in Cancun too and it was amazing! Would defo reccommend!

redtulip12 Sat 04-May-19 20:33:31

We (2 adults,2 teens) did Playa del Carmen last year and are going to Cancun in July. We had an amazing time and can't wait for this year's holiday. I don't know anyone who's had a bad holiday in Mexico.

Hollowvictory Sat 04-May-19 20:36:57

@Cl74scubes we love dreams Tulum with kids been several times. Hotel will give you a picnic in a cool box if you're going out for the day.
Xel-ha is one of our fave places, an awesome day out and just 20 mins taxi from the hotel. Snorkeling with turtles at akumal also great.

64632K Sat 04-May-19 20:42:41

AI in Akumal, absolutely gorgeous and loved it, no drunkeness or spring breakers. AI was amazing. Xoxmilco was our favourite tour, Cichen Itzen, Ek Balam all were great too. Plenty of activities and Playa Del Carmen has amazing shopping and restaurants

Shelbybear Sat 04-May-19 20:55:05

As long as you avoid the time of spring break it will be fine. There are a lot of Americans though and some are a bit of the stereotype loud mouth. It would not stop me going, Mexico is amazing. Been to Cancun and one just outside Playa Del Carmen. The hotel are huge resorts though on their own. You will have a fab time the all inclusive is just on another level out there!

Hollowvictory Sat 04-May-19 23:08:16

There are lots of hotels that aren't huge. Plenty of boutique hotels in Tulum. We stay in one with 350 rooms rather than over 1000 rooms but lots in Tulum have only a few rooms

KeithLeMonde Tue 07-May-19 19:46:17

Thanks so much everyone for all your comments, really reassuring. We've been looking for somewhere where the kids can snorkel and seen a few recommendations for Akumal so might look more closely at hotels in that area.

TBF I don't mind a bit of a Butlins vibe, and we stayed in Las Vegas last year with the kids and enjoyed that smile It's just nice to be able to escape to somewhere quieter when you want to.

OP’s posts: |
Backinthebox Tue 07-May-19 22:27:44

Love Mexico! We went last summer and stayed in a cabana on the beach in Tulum. Sea was full of seaweed but we went on lots of day trips to Xel-ha, Xplor, Coba, amazing Si'an Ka'an day trip, and various cenotes so it didn't bother us. We also had a couple of nights in two AI resorts. Sandos Caracol which had lots of quiet places and nature stuff going on but the pool with swim up bar was basically like swimming in warm margerita mix! And Dreams Puerto Morelos which was a bit too clinical for me.

Cancun itself is not an attractive place. It's very 'Benidorm for Americans,' but it's always full so people must like that kind of thing! My advice is always to get out of Cancun as fast as you can. The airport is south of town so you don't even ever have to go there if you head south straight away. Fwiw I work in the travel industry and travel for work to Cancun 3 or 4 times a year, staying in the Zone Hotelera. Spring break is always noticeably louder in Cancun but in the hotels you don't see drunkenness. Just don't go out to places like Coco Bongo! shock

BlueJag Tue 07-May-19 22:42:35

I'm Mexican and I love going back home. I recommend Playa del Carmen very cute. Many people have recommended great places. I do like Cancún too but less than Playa or Tulum.
Also I highly recommend to go to Isla Mujeres hire a golf cart and drive around. Eat at Mocambo delicious.
Hire a car from reputable firms like Avis or Hertz. Also go to Xplor specially at night time it's amazing. So many things to do. Try to go out during the day and enjoy the hotel in the afternoon.

MintyCedric Sat 11-May-19 15:25:42

Placemarking as considering Mexico for post GCSEs holiday in 2 years time (Will need that long to save up!).

DD wants a fly and flop type holiday, but if I'm spending a lot of money I want it to be a/ special and b/ have some options besides eating, drinking and sunbathing.

Wasn't particularly sold on Cancun but like the fact it's an easy option in terms of stuff nearby, close to airport and good beach. Have fallen in love with The Hard Rock Hotel after a morning's browsing so currently investigating how difficult it is to sell a kidney!

jolufc Sat 11-May-19 17:56:26

Grand palladium Riviera Maya was great. Also stopped in Hard Rock Hotel which has a new water park and indoor centre with parkour. They also give resort credits that make zip line trips and swimming with dolphins cheap.

MintyCedric Sat 11-May-19 19:16:09

The thing that's selling Hard Rock to me is the music sessions they do and the fact you can choose from a guitar menu and have one delivered to your room for a jam session.

DD is already plays keyboards, uke and acoustic and is getting an electric guitar for her birthday in September just in time for her to start her Music GCSE... I can.just imagine the look on her face grin!

ginyogarepeat Sat 11-May-19 19:38:04

I don't know about other areas of Mexico but you aren't going to get much culture in Cancun! Disappointed by beaches too, and very American. Nice hotels but that's about it!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in