Talk

Advanced search

Toronto

(6 Posts)
madeyemoodysmum Wed 01-May-19 18:48:31

Have a big birthday next year and considering and multi city break with teens and dh. New York and Toronto. I love Canada before but not been to this city.

Any good tips on fun things for teens We like theme parks zoo nature plus shopping tho we will do a lot of that in NYC.

I guess if the exchange rate better in Canada we may shop more there.

OP’s posts: |
HappySpade Wed 01-May-19 20:26:34

Canada's Wonderland is close to Toronto.

The exchange will always be better to shop in Canada but sometimes the variety isn't always there. Buying Lululemon in Canada will be at your best price; they'll have the same t-shirt for $40 CDN, $40 USD, or £40.

SJane48S Thu 02-May-19 11:32:33

Toronto and Canada in general isn’t great for shopping & style wise isn’t (with exceptions) very cutting edge. There is a zoo at High Park which was about to close at one point which is ok and was free last time I went. Your kids depending on their age may like Queens Street which when I lived in Toronto years back was the place to be for shops, bars & restaurants. I think it’s become a little less grungey than in my day but still has a good, youth orientated vibe! Have a look at attending a baseball game at the Rogers Centre if there are any on - the Blue Jays are Toronto’s team. I’d definetely takes them to the Beaches (also known as the Beach) via streetcar - it’s a long stretch of beach in a quirky neighbourhood with some eclectic shops! A trip out to Centre Island & up the CN Tower are on most visitors ‘must do’ lists! I used to like going for an afternoon walk in Etienne Brûle Park which stretches along the Humber & would be a nice place to go if you’ve had a busy day. Other than that, I’d do a day trip to Niagara on the bus or train - not sure of routes but if it’s possible to stop off there, spend an hour or two at Nagara on the Lake which is kitsch and a bit cutesy but pretty! I wouldn’t stay downtown personally & would look to rent somewhere in Cabbagetown from AirBnB or HomeAway. Hope some of this helps!

madeyemoodysmum Thu 02-May-19 22:55:24

Thank you. Really good tips there

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Thu 02-May-19 23:26:07

I just don’t see the attraction of Toronto over other places you could go. Boston is way more appealing or Chicago. Or go south to Washington or Philadelphia.

SJane48S Fri 03-May-19 08:05:46

Toronto just isn’t a city that immediately wows on immediate impact as much as say a New York, Istanbul or Rome. However like most cities it’s a question of knowing where to go & what to do - it does have it’s own character & charms. Of the other cities you mention, only been to Boston which to be honest for me didn’t have any immediate ‘wow!’ factor either but i was only there for 2 days & did the surface.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in