Talk

Advanced search

Peru - MP and amazon

(19 Posts)
ProfessorLayton1 Sat 27-Apr-19 20:00:12

Planning on family holiday in December for 2 weeks..
Dd18 and Dd 11 so a bit of a age gap to take into consideration.
Prefer to arrange it ourselves- is this sensible?
Was thinking of going to Lima ( 1 day) , Cusco 3 days, MP - 2 days doing the short trek, Cusco - 1 day, train to Puno - visit reed island 1 /2 day , fly to amazon jungle - where don't know - 3/4 days , fly back to Lima and back to London.
Please have a look at the itinerary- any advice on where to stay and what to do welcome
Never been to Latin America so would be our first experience!
Happy to go to any other Latin American country if this does not workout..

OP’s posts: |
CannyLad Sat 27-Apr-19 20:19:54

I did a similar trip a few years ago. If you're not on a tour I'd leave a bit of leeway between destinations incase connections are delayed. We flew from Lima to Puno but it was an afternoon flight that was cancelled and we didn't arrive until the following day.

We did a mountain bike trip from Cusco into Manu national park and down into the forest, it was amazing, so maybe you could reduce travel and go from there.

Tbh it's a bloody long way to go and a killer time difference for such a short trip (I was working there and was around for a few months). Have you considered somewhere closer like South Africa if you only have a week?

ProfessorLayton1 Sat 27-Apr-19 20:45:41

We have two weeks plus not a week... but very unlikely to get more than that as leave in one go..

makingmyway10 Sat 27-Apr-19 20:55:50

Peru is amazing, went last year with my DH and teenagers. However, two of our party got horrendous altitude sickness, serious enough to have to be evacuated from Cusco and on oxygen for 48 hours. We took altitude tablets, drank local tea and took all precautions. It happened anyway. Would not say do not go of course but take into account it could happen. Have a back up plan, luckily two of our party were not effected and could organise help for the other two. Research how to evacuate down to the sacred valley if needed and have emergency numbers easily available. We are well travelled and took all advice offered on altitude sickness before going but boy if you get it badly it is hell!

On the positive side Machu Picchu was incredible!!

BubblesBuddy Sat 27-Apr-19 21:19:04

We went with www.familiesworldwide.co.uk

This is an excellent trip and suited to teens/children. They often have s teens departure which might suit. Exodus might do something too. We went in August though. I think December might be wet. The operator still runs this trip and there is a rainforest extension, which we did. The accommodation isn’t luxurious but it was a brilliant trip. I don’t see the advantage of DIY. In a small group with a fantastic guide, and like minded families, I think you get the best possible experience. I would pay a bit more to get all the tickets sorted out for me so no disappointments!

Lake Titicaca is higher than Cusco. It’s around 13,000 ft as I recall. I got s problem with altitude there. Or so I was told. I’m not so sure but it was cured by Imigran tablets for migraine so I don’t know what to think!

If you have 2 plus weeks it’s very doable but the nature of the trip we did sounds better than your plans and we got to see MP before the masses arrived. We had our own minibus.

ProfessorLayton1 Sat 27-Apr-19 21:23:15

Thanks bubbles ... Will check out the link.
Not fixed with the idea of doing it DIY so will check it out if it is easier.

Oct18mummy Sat 27-Apr-19 21:32:27

I worked in Peru (Cusco) for two weeks it’s an amazing country with amazing people. It did take me a while to adjust to the altitude so I think 3 days in Cusco is good before trekking. MP is the most amazing place on earth could have spent hours just taking it all in. Sounds like a good itinerary have fun!

ProfessorLayton1 Sat 27-Apr-19 22:27:18

Thanks Oct18mummy..

I have tried to not rush the trip, do you have any recommendations for a trip into the amazon from either Cusco or puno and what is the best way to get there etc.,
Would spend the last 1-2 days in Lima to make sure that there is some flexibility in the itinerary..

HappyHolidays75 Sat 27-Apr-19 22:46:07

We did pretty much what you have planned, although did Amazon from cusco before machu picchu.
We didn't experience any problems moving from Cisco to puna and also travelled by train. An island homestay on lake titicaca was basic but a good experience.
Amazon - we did Manu basin which was amazing.
1 day in lima was plenty for us. On outward journey we booked a cheap internal flight to cusco and flew straight on (cheap enough that had we missed it, it wouldn't have been the end of the world).

BubblesBuddy Sat 27-Apr-19 23:33:09

We stayed at Sandoval Lake Lodge in the Amazon basin in Peru and that’s accessed via Puerto Mandonaldo. The lake is stunning and we saw giant otters, lots of monkeys, butterflies and macaws to name just a few. Highly recommended.

ProfessorLayton1 Sun 28-Apr-19 07:44:40

Checked the weather in Peru in December- rainy season!
Should have done this first but got carried away...
any other suggestions?
Costa Rica is recommend at that of the year but really wanted to go SA .. can't do two long hauls in a year

Oct18mummy Sun 28-Apr-19 09:16:36

I was there late November and it was T-shirt weather during the day, quick rain showers and then cold in the evening needed a heavy coat. I would double check what they mean during rainy season as if it’s anything like the rain I saw it passed so quickly

Crikeyblimey Sun 28-Apr-19 09:23:14

Did similar itinerary to you many years ago but over 3 weeks. PP is correct about connections / travelling within Peru. Trains get delayed (or just stop for hours in the Andes!!)

Whilst we did it diy, I did book it all with trailfinders - they took my requested itinerary and worked most of it out. We didn’t pre-book any trains or many hotels and just did that on the fly but then we had longer than you.

We went into the amazon forest with a company called Expmorama (if they’re still around, they were amazing!). Booked a 4 night trip up the river from Iquitos and stayed in jungle lodges. It was definitely a highlight.
Flying from Lima to Cuzco can be hard on you altitude sickness wise cos you go straight from sea level to 4K meters in one go so be aware.

Puno is great and the floating islands well worth a visit.

You’ll all love Peru, it’s spectacular!

Crikeyblimey Sun 28-Apr-19 09:25:25

Bugger - just typed all that and then read your update!

BubblesBuddy Sun 28-Apr-19 18:47:27

Anywhere further south in South America is fine in December. And hot! Brazil, Argentina and Chile are all possible in December.

If you want the rainforest, it can Really Rain there in the rainy season! It would truly not be enjoyable. It’s not a few showers! It will also lead to deep mud and very uncomfortable conditions.

BubblesBuddy Sun 28-Apr-19 18:48:12

Ps: Argentina is a real favourite of ours!

SheriffCallie Tue 30-Apr-19 20:25:01

We did similar years ago pre-kids. Two days in lima, then flew to Puerto Maldonado to stay in a lodge for a few days, then to Cuzco to do the 4 day Inca trail to MP, then back to Lima.
We then flew to Buenos Aires, before crossing overland into Brazil via Iguaçu Falls park, then up to Rio de Janeiro, with a few days in Ilha Grande. It was an amazing trip, but could easily be broken down into two separate trips.
I’d love to go back with the kids as they are mesmerised by our rainforest wildlife photos, and I’d love to see them experience it themselves.

ProfessorLayton1 Tue 30-Apr-19 20:59:06

Bubbles - how did you organise your Argentina trip?
Where did you go... could you please let me know...
Currently looking at various options.. costs rica is the front runner but would go to Argentina if that suits us..

ProfessorLayton1 Tue 30-Apr-19 21:00:09

Having read about the weather, would prefer to go to MP and Peru during Easter or Summer time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in