Talk

Advanced search

Flying to the US on Monday, how many hours before flight do I need to go to airport?

(10 Posts)
Ulysees Mon 16-Jul-07 16:04:23

I thought 2 but ex says 3 as there's so many security checks now.
I'm going to be knackered as need to be there at 4.30 if that's the case. I'm staying over near heathrow so will have to get a taxi.

mosschops30 Mon 16-Jul-07 16:06:46

I would say 3 given that you are flying to the US (if it was europe then probably two).

Ulysees Mon 16-Jul-07 16:09:38

cheers, I'm not usually good at timekeeping for flights. I'll make sure I'm there in time though as meeting bf at airport, he's coming from Iraq.
thanks again x

scienceteacher Mon 16-Jul-07 17:23:05

We are flying to the US on Wednesday and Virgin tells us we need to be there 3 hours in advance. You absolutely have to have checked in one-hour before the flight, whether there are big queues or not.

Ulysees Mon 16-Jul-07 17:49:23

I can check in online though can't I?

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-Jul-07 07:08:48

Two hours is for European short haul destinations.

If the airline in question have that facility on their website then yes you can check in on line.

Would suggest you arrive 3 hours before departure as you are flying longhaul.

Ulysees Tue 17-Jul-07 15:00:44

cheers, I'm just going to have to have a couple of hours sleep as won't get to the hotel until midnight and will need to be up at 4, so by the time I get off 2 or 3 hours but it's better than nothing. I can always sleep on the plane.

OhNo40 Tue 17-Jul-07 15:11:55

A couple of things to remember:
1 If you carry a handbag, this is now your one bit of cabin baggage - used to be handbag plus one.
2 Flying to the US you will be asked at check-in for your address in the US - its worth keeping this handy rather than at the bottom of your carry-on bag.

SpacePuppy Tue 17-Jul-07 15:15:59

It takes a while to get in at Heathrow, I dropped my db last weekend and they are pretty strict on drive through traffic etc. use public transport if you can.

Ulysees Tue 17-Jul-07 16:53:10

thanks you two, I'll be getting a taxi from nearby hotel. Also only ever take a handbag on board but need to measure the size of it as they're strict on this now I think? I know about liquids as travelled in May to Barcelona and they were hot on this then.

Just been to the practise nurse as I feel like s£!t and she reckons I have a virus. Just glad I haven't got an ear infection as I suspected as much, not good on long haul!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: