Talk

Advanced search

When is the best time to book flights to NYC?

(7 Posts)
usernamelife Sun 21-Apr-19 19:38:54

Treating my DS to a trip to New York for him and his boyfriend for his 21st birthday. (Both will be 21).

They both have a week at the start of April free next year. So April 2020.

When is the best time for me to book flights? I saw some for around £260 before with BA

OP’s posts: |
Expressedways Sun 21-Apr-19 19:47:25

Wow, how generous of you and how exciting! £260 is really good if that’s return, I doubt you’ll do much better than that.
Sky scanner have a flight price tracker you can sign up to or you can wait for the airlines to have their sales; BA usually has one at around the end of August and another in January.

BubblesBuddy Mon 22-Apr-19 02:32:44

Tickets come on line 11 months before flight date. If they are avoiding Easter it should be cheaper. Sometimes taking a very early price can be better than the sale because your dates might not be in it!!

notevenamum1 Mon 22-Apr-19 02:45:31

I’m in New York just now and we booked our hotel on Black Friday (November last year) and we got a super nice hotel for half price!!! Hotels are really expensive here and air bnbs are not officially allowed as far as I know.

Swiftier Tue 23-Apr-19 10:55:41

I’d sign up to skyscanner alerts - they’ll notify you when prices change.

BubblesBuddy Tue 23-Apr-19 13:47:45

I usually book hotel and flight package with Ba. The package is often not much more than the flights as stand alone flights. They also offer budget hotels so shop around and you would get an idea of prices right now for next year. Also decide if they want direct flights or not. Price alerts might be via Turkey! Norwegian are cheap to NY but financially on a knife edge due to massive debts.

Tweedypie Tue 23-Apr-19 14:00:30

Watch out for the luggage charges, Most airlines flying transatlantic routes now are charging about £60 per suitcase per journey leg, so that super cheap flight will have another £120 on top per person if you want to take a suitcase. It's so annoying as it make price comparison harder as airlines charge between £40-£60 per case per journey leg, we flew with Delta last month and I think it was £50 each, so added an extra £400 onto the final price as 4 of us flying.
It will be a fab trip though, what a lovely gift OP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in