Talk

Advanced search

Zika

(7 Posts)
260392ce Wed 17-Apr-19 23:01:29

Hey!! My lovely mother has booked us a fantastic family holiday to the Caribbean (exactly where is a surprise) in August. I will be about 20 weeks pregnant. The problem is, the Caribbean is still a risk country for Zika. My mum is being absolutely amazing about it and saying she will change the destination but she has planned this for a long time, she says either we all go or none of us go!
There have been no confirmed cases in the Caribbean for 2 years! I haven’t had an appointment with the midwife or GP yet. I am looking for advice on what you guys would do! Thanks xxx

OP’s posts: |
FogCutter Wed 17-Apr-19 23:20:33

I wouldn't risk it.

Have you read this?
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-11-01/does-the-caribbean-still-have-zika-virus-who-cdc-travel-warning

Looks like there is still a risk of picking up the virus.

MulderitsmeX Fri 19-Apr-19 11:00:24

Hmm I'm very sensitive to risk so I wouldn't go, but most resorts fog every week so it's unlikely to be an issue.

260392ce Fri 19-Apr-19 19:59:03

Thanks for the reply? What do you mean when you say they ‘fog’ every week? X

FogCutter Sat 20-Apr-19 23:40:49

Fogging is when they have a machine that sprays pesticide all over the resort like a 'fog' to try and kill the mosquitoes.

260392ce Sun 21-Apr-19 00:06:58

Fantastic, thank you so much. I will absolutely contact the resort to check this week. Enjoy Easter! 🐰🐰

coconutpie Sun 21-Apr-19 20:19:50

I would not risk it. A travel vaccination doctor told us that for every 1 reported case of Zika, there are another 4 cases that aren't reported (I think) as many people infected don't show any symptoms at all.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in