Talk

Advanced search

New York 3 attraction tickets - what to pick??

(31 Posts)
CoolShoeshine Mon 15-Apr-19 16:56:53

Hopefully going to NYC soon, taking two teen dcs. Due to the general expense of the trip, especially accommodation and food, we can’t blow the budget and do all the must see attractions. Probably going to buy a 3 attraction explorer pass. Of you were to do this, what 3 attractions would you recommend? I’m thinking one building, such as the Empire State, one boat cruise and something else - perhaps a walking tour of movie sights? What would you recommend?

OP’s posts: |
Xyzzzzz Mon 15-Apr-19 17:04:48

Statue of Liberty is nice.
It depends what you are after all of NY is amazing! If you get the hop on and off buses you can visit parks and stuff for free anyway.

9/11 site is nice to pay respects and I did a night cruise too which was amazing. Top of the rock was really nice too. I love NY I’d go back again

CoolShoeshine Tue 16-Apr-19 07:57:46

Thank you - we are hoping to do as much free stuff as possible so have been recommended to see Liberty from the Statern island ferry. I’ll look into the hop on hop off buses. Wondering if we will regret not paying to enter any of the museums or galleries. When we go to London and they are donation only we can go in for a short while and see a few of the main exhibits. If we paid full entry fee in New York we’d really have to stay for hours and get our moneys worth and the dcs would probably get a bit bored.

OP’s posts: |
Firstbornunicorn Tue 16-Apr-19 08:05:08

@CoolShoeshine natural history museum is more than worth it. I sincerely doubt your DC would be anything close to resembling bored.
I recommend Top of the Rock if you're only going to do one building... You can see the Empire State Building from it, so you'll get better views and pics.

Central park is nice and free. Hop on/hop off bus tours are great, too. Depending on the time of year, you might be able to find free events that interest you. We went to a Chinese New Year festival, which was fab.

Arriettyborrower Tue 16-Apr-19 08:18:39

I was in NYC exactly a year ago today! Had the most amazing time. Didn’t spend a huge amount, you can do it really reasonably, did pay for the 9/11 museum which was unmissable. The top of the rock at the Rockefeller centre that most people agree is better than the Empire State Building, one of the museum’s (can’t remember which one!) but had a lovely chat with the guy at the admission till who let us in on some concession as was otherwise really pricey, and a proper boat tour around the whole of NYC which was great as saw and learnt loads about it.

Other than these things we did everything else for free - NYC is so easily walkable, we did 35,000 steps every day but ate and drank them all up!! - - walked the Chelsea high line, loved this.
- made up our own movie tour, just thought about all the iconic movie sites, then walked to them
- took subway to Brooklyn bridge then walked over the bridge around Brooklyn then back again and walked up through the city
- Chelsea market, loads of great stalls, jewellery, clothes, food etc
- Gotham food market - yum!
- had the mast amazing food at Joanne’s, restaurant owned by lady gaga’s parents, near Juilliard from Fame, so that tied in on our movie walking tour!

Good tip is to book a table at rainbow 65 or something like that, forget the name, at the Rockefeller, it’s a cocktail bar at the top, you can book a table for the price of a couple of cocktails and get the views that you’d pay for to go to the top.

I loved it, would go back in a heartbeat. Have the best time.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-Apr-19 08:50:05

Coolshoeshine

With your kids OP I would walk the Highline and go visit the American Museum of Natural History. The Ride is also something worth considering particularly for teens

(Bar 65 and the Rainbow room in the Rockefeller centre has an age limit of 21 and up)

Homefireburn1ng Tue 16-Apr-19 08:52:27

Is the Museum of Natural History pay what you like?

beachyhead Tue 16-Apr-19 13:44:00

Do the Tenement Museum and book your tour in advance, it's great.
We only did three paying things and the all encompassing ticket didn't work out cheaper, tbh. They have different child prices for different things, so MoMA was free for children if you book it independently.

We did Top of the Rock, the 9/11 museum and the Tenement.

Staten Island Ferry is free and fine for the Statue of Liberty. Highline is great, but heaving at the weekend. Also Hudson Yards has just opened and there is a massive art sculpture that's free to visit, just stand in line.

Cycling around Central Park is great. It was $15 for two hours.

Only buy one sandwich for two people at most deli's. It will be big enough!

And on the Metro, you can buy a refillable Metro card and you don't need one each, you are allowed to pass it back over the barrier for each person.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-Apr-19 15:10:03

Re American Museum of Natural History

You do have the option of “pay what you want” if you are willing to wait In the ridiculous long line that wrapped around the front of the building on our visit. The pay what you want admission doesn’t cover anything other than the “base” exhibits. It is an additional $9 per person per exhibit for the Dinosaur , ocean, butterfly etc.

I would also buy the tickets online and well in advance of any intended visit.

Homefireburn1ng Tue 16-Apr-19 15:23:24

Does the online thing cover those $9 things?

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Tue 16-Apr-19 15:35:21

Walking tours are great value and there are loads to choose from. We went on a food tour of Greenwich Village which was amazing.

AintThatSomething Tue 16-Apr-19 15:39:04

There is also a hop on/off water ferry that is Brilliant- great views of all the buildings and statue of liberty. We got off (amongst other places) at Brooklyn side of the bridge and walked back over the bridge.

Homefireburn1ng Tue 16-Apr-19 15:49:36

OMG the price of Top of the Rock.shock

AintThatSomething Tue 16-Apr-19 16:25:46

If you can get the kids in, just go to the bar near the top of the rock. Has a balcony all round and is free. Drinks are reasonable.

AnnieOH1 Tue 16-Apr-19 16:36:48

I would look at stuff like the NY Pass that is for x number of days (1, 3, 7 etc) and covers multiple attractions. Quite often there are deals on them and from what I re all there's little cost difference between the limited to x number venues price and the x number days passes. Enjoy either way!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-Apr-19 17:40:06

The NY City Pass I think lists Top of the Rock; I would certainly look at their website.

ticketing.amnh.org/#/tickets
For the AMNH the admittance of $23 (child age 2-12 $13) includes admission to all 45 halls and the Rose Center for Earth and Space but does not include special exhibitions, giant-screen film, or Space Show. $33 per person (child age 2-12 $20) includes General Admission plus all special exhibitions, giant-screen film, and Space Show.

Ainthatsomething; unfortunately its 21 and up only in the bar you mention. Outdoor tables are only available seasonally, and cannot be guaranteed with a reservation; you'll need to request one when you arrive, and if one is free, the per-person minimum on the terrace is $65 (ouch!!)

Br1ll1ant Tue 16-Apr-19 17:42:40

Do they still have big apple greeters? That was a great experience but was a few years ago now.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-Apr-19 17:52:09

Yes, big apple greeters is still going strong.

SardineJam Tue 16-Apr-19 17:54:58

Apparently the museum prices are actually donations so you don't have to pay the very high prices if you choose not to...not 100% sure about how much truth there is in this but worth finding out...

Homefireburn1ng Tue 16-Apr-19 17:55:45

So with the City Pass do you still need to queue for ages or is it only booking direct online that ensures not queuing?

Homefireburn1ng Tue 16-Apr-19 17:57:25

Sardine from what somebody else said donation means you have to pay for everything dinosaurs etc so not cheaper????? and you have to queue for ages.

SardineJam Tue 16-Apr-19 17:58:35

www.jerseyfamilyfun.com/new-york-city-museums-free-admission/ some details here

SardineJam Tue 16-Apr-19 18:04:31

Looking at the natural history museum site $33 gets you everything, so even their basic ticket doesn't get you everything 😬

user1474894224 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:09:27

I did NY on a budget years ago. I went up Empire State building and went to a theatre show. Everything else was free. Staten Island Ferry, site of 9/11 was still a building site as was the year after. Walking over Brooklyn Bridge was amazing. Walking through central park, buying a hotdog from a vendor, eating a slice of pizza, Katz deli, I put my head inside the Guggenheim to see the building, I went to Macy's. Trump towers etc etc. You'll have a brilliant time.

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee Tue 16-Apr-19 18:19:09

I love NYC! Yes to as much free stuff as possible, most museums have free evenings or days, they get heaving, but can save alot of money that way.

The staten island ferry is great for seeing the statue of liberty, head to the right hand side of the boat from battery park to see it.

We got a fair few groupon vouchers too, just sign up for an account, we just made up an address in the states and it accepted it. We did an eat all you want sushi that you order with an ipad, it was amazing, and realky cheap! Also did a few walking tours, abd a hoho bus tour. Thd bus tour was a bit crap though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in