Talk

Advanced search

Long haul flight - top tips welcome!

(15 Posts)
vinoandbrie Tue 26-Mar-19 14:21:46

Hi there

I am flying with my DDs (nine and four) to Oz via Singapore next week. I am slightly dreading such a long journey, and would be grateful for any tips to pass the time with them. And to get them to sleep!

Many thanks in advance smile

OP’s posts: |
Skandinaviem Tue 26-Mar-19 14:27:12

Yep us too! Got 3 DC- 18m, 4 and 7 so will be watching with interest! When are you going OP? Wouldn’t it be funny if it’s the same flight! Safe and happy travels!

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 14:29:09

We just flew via Singapore - are you flying with Singapore Airlines? They're actually pretty good. They provide lots of blankets and pillows, even in economy, and you can request snacks as and when, aside from the meals. They will also keep offering you glasses of water and juice.

Is it too late for you to book extra leg room or seats near the toilets? That's always helpful.

Their tv and movie choices were really good too, lots of new films, a childrens section, games on the screens etc.

vinoandbrie Tue 26-Mar-19 14:29:23

Oh wow, how do you manage three?! We are flying morning of 3 April from the UK, getting to Oz the evening of 4 April!

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 14:30:29

Also, if you are flying in and out of Singapore with SA you get a voucher for 2hr use of their "standard" lounge, so you have some comfy chairs to sit on and can have a free shower etc. We did that, and I felt much better for it.

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 14:31:16

BUT - the airport is fucking massive and on our way home it took us about 45 minutes just to get to our transfer gate using 2 sky trains, so give yourself plenty of time.

Pythonesque Tue 26-Mar-19 14:46:51

I just view that trip as 24 hours out of my life... If you accept that you'll probably have at least one of them awake at any given time, and keep your expectations really low, then there's a chance it will exceed expectations ...

It helps that when I've done it we're visiting family so there are other people to "pick up the pieces" when we get there. Give yourselves time to recover after the flight. Hope it goes well.

vinoandbrie Tue 26-Mar-19 18:01:49

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. We are not in economy, so that will help I think, just to have an extra bit of space.

We are flying with SA, so thank you for the info, it is good to know they get a good reputation.

LeesPostersAreInFrames Tue 26-Mar-19 18:03:55

Comfy earphones for you all, and keep drinking that water.

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 18:18:41

Don't have the in flight breakfast veggie pastry thing, it's minging. The cheese omelette is nice though.

daffodilbrain Tue 26-Mar-19 18:49:29

I'd recommend just going With the Flow. Don't stress if kids don't sleep. Let them eat and drink as and drink (what) when they want. They'll be fascinated that they can watch anything they want. Don't take too much on the flight (normal bedtime teddy might help) if you've time in Singapore airport you could go for a swim so take your swimmers. Chill out and relax x

PerpetualSummer Tue 26-Mar-19 18:51:10

We are doing that flight this week but via HK. I’m guessing your older one will happily watch tv? For our almost 4 year old, I’m going to get her to take a late nap in the afternoon as with our flight time she will be falling asleep later and I’m sure with the excitement of the plane it will be a few hours before she falls asleep so late nap before we leave to prevent over tiredness. And then a few new toys in my handbag including either wipe clean or water books to keep her distracted on the second leg (expecting her to be asleep for most of the first leg).

BIWI Tue 26-Mar-19 18:55:04

If you're travelling business (or first!) it will be much, much easier.

The flat beds will mean that your children can sleep when they want to.

If I were you, I'd try to set your watch to Australian time from the moment you board, and let the DC stay awake as long as they can, so you can get them to Oz time sooner!

There are loads of films and TV shows that they can watch, so plenty to keep them entertained.

Try to look at it as a positive, exciting adventure, rather than a possible torment!!!

(And have a great holiday!)

We're off on 6 April and can't wait! (Although travelling economy so not quite the level of luxury you'll experience grin)

BIWI Tue 26-Mar-19 18:56:11

Oh, and the advantage of the flight you're on is that you'll get there in the evening, Australian time, so you can 'pretend' that you are going to bed at normal time. That flight makes it a lot easier, IME, than the ones that leave the UK late at night.

Skandinaviem Tue 26-Mar-19 22:13:32

This is great thank you! We’re leaving later in the week than you OP and going economy.. but lovely to hear SA get good reviews and there’s pillows!! I was wondering what to pack!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in